2016 Yukon Denali Hitch Cover nuts

It's just a "J NUT" if that is the metal threaded tab you are referring to.  It can be replaced.  A "J NUT" is basically a threaded nut that is held in place so it won't spin and does not need to be gripped from the back side to prevent it from spinning.

Edited by BlaineBug

2 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

It's just a "J NUT" if that is the metal threaded tab you are referring to.  It can be replaced.  A "J NUT" is basically a threaded nut that is held in place so it won't spin and does not need to be gripped from the back side to prevent it from spinning.

My bad; I shouldn't have used the word nut. I think you're referring to the nut that the bolt fits into in the frame; I'm talking about the metal retaining clip that holds the bolt in place and keeps it from falling out when it's not attached. 

Just now, BlaineBug said:

OH yes, the retainer.  Not sure what to tell you.  Maybe some cleaning first with a tooth brush and then some silicone lubricant will help?  I can't imagine that part impeding its operating very much.

I haven't exactly figured out the problem, but the retainer on that side is badly bent, and I think it rides up and catches the lip of the cover. The other side works fine and the ring isn't bent. I've tried to straighten it with a screwdriver but it's too fragile, so I have been looking around for another one; would even be willing to just buy the bolt as well, but I can't find them anywhere. 

Why not just remove the retainer temporarily and try not to loose the plastic "screw" when you remove the cover?

The retainer is nothing more than a ring, really.

Do your "screws" lock in to place and stop turning when they have reached their proper fully locked tightness?

Edited by BlaineBug

2 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

Why not just remove the retainer temporarily and try not to loose the plastic "screw" when you remove the cover?

The retainer is nothing more than a ring, really.

Do your "screws" lock in to place and stop turning when they have reached their proper fully locked tightness?

Yes, they do lock with some difficulty. The problem is getting it unattached on that one side. If I were to put them in my pocket they would immediately end up wherever my single socks go after washing, but I can give it a try.