Auxiliary Accessory Trailer Camera

On 3/2/2023 at 10:55 AM, bsmall1564 said:

Thanks so much for the link/information on a new end to the Coax cable for the camera.  My other half of the problem is my black connector that pushes into the bumper plug is beyond repair and I need that item along with this repair kit.

The "031-14693 BACK UP TRAILER CAMERA VIDEO CABLE REPAIR END" is technically an Amphenol RF connector, part 122108RP. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-RF/122108RP?qs=mkvzZYCyQViZOgysniBgoA%3D%3D

I think the connector that goes into the bumper plug is likely a version of TNC or BNC connector. I started looking into it before but moved onto other things after I was able to re-use my bumper plug connector. 

11 minutes ago, ShogunKC said:

The "031-14693 BACK UP TRAILER CAMERA VIDEO CABLE REPAIR END" is technically an Amphenol RF connector, part 122108RP. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-RF/122108RP?qs=mkvzZYCyQViZOgysniBgoA%3D%3D

I think the connector that goes into the bumper plug is likely a version of TNC or BNC connector. I started looking into it before but moved onto other things after I was able to re-use my bumper plug connector. 

Thank you for that information.  I figure I will eventually come up with the black portion that plugs into the bumper. Then I will purchase the connector that you linked and I'll have a second camera system.  Because I've already bought a second camera :(

On 3/17/2021 at 7:13 AM, ShogunKC said:

I wonder if perhaps the camera is bad. I haven't been able to test because my trailer was in the shop getting some warranty work done and I left the camera kit in the trailer to see if my dealer could give me an estimate for installing it. In the end, I'm about 14' short so I ordered an extension cable from Pasternack and will do the install myself. 

In the meantime, I started looking for the camera with part number 23390514. One of the websites I found that had the camera also listed it also superseded by part # 84676845. 

https://www.gmpartscorp.com/p/GMC__Sierra-1500/Camera-Front--Rear/73720823/23390514.html

image.png.8217f9b037f8b38af5dfc86239d27ba6.png

I then looked up 84676845 and it seems to be a very common GM camera used on a lot of cars and trucks. I picked up my trailer yesterday and am prepping for a camping trip, so probably won't have time, but was thinking of pulling the tailgate camera and attaching it to the trailer camera cable and seeing if it worked. 

Could be a cheaper option, but even if I got the camera, would still need an aftermarket cable that plugged into the truck receptacle. 

Anyone else willing to try out a camera on their truck hooked up to the OEM cable? 

I finally bought one of these cameras GM Part#84676845 for $99.95

Short story is that it works fine.

Long story…

I purchased the invisible trailer camera in 2020 and was going to install it in my Toy Hauler but I purchased a 4-door Polaris RZR that wouldn’t fit in the Toy Hauler.

Over the last couple of years I used a flat bed trailer and didn’t need a rear view camera.

A couple of weeks ago I found a 20’ Featherlite enclosed car hauler for sale…. I installed the invisible trailer camera and decided I wanted the interior camera to make sure everything is strapped down in the trailer without having to pull over.

I ordered the camera mentioned above from an eBay seller and just tried it out today.  It came with a plastic bracket that I will use to mount it to the ceiling of my trailer.

When I have the camera mounted I will take pictures.  This camera is water-tight and looks to be the same as the expensive invisible trailer one without the mount and cable.  Honestly the coax is just RG-59 like we used to use for TV.  

For the interior camera I ran RG-6 quad-shield 75 ohm coax with an outdoor jacket.  I’m waiting for my interior cabinets to arrive and will mount the camera afterwards. 

As stated in my first sentence I tried the camera out in my driveway with a 6 foot cable this afternoon and it worked fine.

George 

On 3/11/2023 at 10:10 PM, kf9yr said:

I finally bought one of these cameras GM Part#84676845 for $99.95

As stated in my first sentence I tried the camera out in my driveway with a 6 foot cable this afternoon and it worked fine.

Great news! What did you use to connect the 6 foot cable into the bumper connectors? 

I bought a Fakra connector from Pasternack.  Get one with a RG-59 cable.  These are the connectors that plug into the back of the camera.

The other end I crimped a weatherproof F-connector on.  You could crimp one of the PAL connectors advertised above on the end if you use the stock GM bumper / trailer camera connector. Or, you could buy a PAL to F connector adapter.

I have an aftermarket bumper, magnetic EZ-connector, etc so I just have F-connectors installed on the cables.

I just received some weatherproof surface mount F-connectors with screw-on covers that I will be using when I have time for the installation.

I'm really busy with my work right now, I work 7 days and 1 night a week so my time to work on truck / trailer / camper / etc is extremely limited.

When I get this installed permanently I will take and post a few pictures.

• Like 1