Auxiliary Accessory Trailer Camera

Has anyone installed the Auxiliary Accessory Trailer Camera that shows looking through the trailer? I'm looking at upgrading my current 32' 5th wheel with a 35'. Will the cord reach? I read somewhere that it doesn't work for just a reverse back up camera. That doesn't sound right to me. That's the main reason I want it for.

Auxiliary Accessory Trailer Camera for Vehicles with Trailer Camera Package

Part No. : 84876818

MSRP $475.00*

• Integrates with the in-dash screen
  • Individual or multiple selectable views

I just finished installing it on my 39’ 5th wheel toy hauler. If you want the invisible trailer you have to mount it in the center a few inches above the tailgate camera on the rear of the trailer. So if you have a back door like mine or a bike rack in the back of the trailer it won’t work. I mounted mine up high and it works while your driving or backing up however when you put your truck in reverse you will have to switch to rear trailer view manually however it does work in reverse.

Yes I installed it where the factory Furrion camera came directly above the rear garage door. I ran it from the pin box under the fiberglass cover to under the trailer to the interior concealed in the garage out through the wall to the camera It is completely concealed on the outside of the trailer and comes out where the trailer harness comes out on the pin box. I think the cable being in the plastic conduit already should be alright under the trailer. If not I’ll replace it in a few years. I spent too much on the trailer to have wires strapped to the outside. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 1:11 PM, Scott Perkins said:

Has anyone installed the Auxiliary Accessory Trailer Camera that shows looking through the trailer? I'm looking at upgrading my current 32' 5th wheel with a 35'. Will the cord reach? I read somewhere that it doesn't work for just a reverse back up camera. That doesn't sound right to me. That's the main reason I want it for.

I was able to find this online: 
Includes trailer camera assembly (with harness of approx. 58 ft from camera to plug connector), mounting hardware and installation instructions.

That should work for your fifth wheel. I would also highly recommend watching this demo put on at one of the dealerships by the factory training employees on the new system. 

https://youtu.be/xox-Ym9ZW8k

In particular, look at the section where he talks about placement of that camera. 

https://youtu.be/xox-Ym9ZW8k?t=376

Anyone know if this camera will work on a boat trailer? 

In theory it should work on any trailer. As long as you have it mounted at the right angle similar to any other trailer it would give you the right perspective. The truck doesn’t know what your pulling, all it’s doing is taking the trailer camera feed and overlaying it over your standard rear camera feed.

Anybody regret doing this? If my 2020 gets fixed, I'm thinking of adding this to my Airstream, but before I do, I'm curious if anybody has any regrets or doesn't think it's worth the money. 

21 minutes ago, Wbrisett said:

Anybody regret doing this? If my 2020 gets fixed, I'm thinking of adding this to my Airstream, but before I do, I'm curious if anybody has any regrets or doesn't think it's worth the money. 

I just bought the camera. This week, I'm having it installed on my Airstream.  I'm hoping they can find a clever way to run the wires without having to drop the belly pan.

• Like 1

The lack of any real technical details on the camera is a bit disappointing really. The description states: (with harness of approx. 58 ft from camera to plug connector). However, one reviewer has stated the maximum length from hitch to back of the trailer can only be 30 feet. I would love for somebody with real world experience, or any real technical details on this accessory to chime in with details because there's such a lack of details about it available. 

3 hours ago, Wbrisett said:

The lack of any real technical details on the camera is a bit disappointing really. The description states: (with harness of approx. 58 ft from camera to plug connector). However, one reviewer has stated the maximum length from hitch to back of the trailer can only be 30 feet. I would love for somebody with real world experience, or any real technical details on this accessory to chime in with details because there's such a lack of details about it available. 

The length of the cable is 58ft.  How you route the wiring, where you place it on the rear of travel, and whether the trailer is conventional or fifth wheel / GN.  

If you are looking to do transparent trailer feature, the trailer has to conventional and the maximum length it allows to be entered from center of ball to back of trailer is 10 meters or around 33 ft.  It will still work on longer trailers but in your setup, you just have to fake the maximum length dimension.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wbrisett said:

It depends on what you want to do with this camera.  The camera does, indeed, come with ~58’ cord length (I assume this is correct; I didn’t measure mine).  So you can mount it anywhere on the back of your trailer and as long as your entire routing is less than this distance, you’ll have a functional HD camera on the back of your trailer that can be viewed on the built-in centerstack display.

However, if you want to set up the “invisible trailer” view, there are a few more constraints.  Since the image displayed on the screen is actually a composite image from several different camera views, there are limits on optical angles that work with the system.  The camera must be mounted in a tight dimensional space, relative to the height of the camera on your tailgate on the rear centerline.  The ~30’ limitation is the extreme distance the cameras can work together to give the composite view.

In summary:  You have 58’ of able to mount the camera on your trailer.  The trailer can only be about 30’ long before the transparent trailer magic no longer works, due to  physics.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 1:38 PM, Wbrisett said:

My only regret was mounting it on the roof because i didnt know it had to be tailgate height. Camera works great, no complaints about picture. 

Thanks All! That information was very helpful. Now I just have to hope my truck gets fixed and doesn't see any more issues. Because I really want to like this new 2020, but confidence in it vs. my old 2015 HD is night and day (13 weeks in the shop, out of 16 weeks of ownership)

• Like 1

I have the camera and no truck yet.  Just ordered the truck last week, ordered the camera separately based on the info found here and another thread.  (THANKS for that, $200 cheaper!)  My trailer is 22" longer than what the owner's manual says for maximum length, hoping it will still work for transparent trailer.  If not, it will be great to just see anything back there.  

The camera cable seems to be well protected.  I am not sure why they are so adamant about routing it over the top, shouldn't be too hard to protect it underneath.