Auxiliary Accessory Trailer Camera

14 hours ago, Wbrisett said:

So, I'm curious. With it mounted there you obviously don't get the 'invisible' trailer, so with it activated, what do you see? I'm kind of curious.

i have mine mounted above the rear door of my work and play. The invisable trailer does work well there, it will come up occasionally but looses its calibration more times than not. When it does not work and that view is selected, it reverts to the 3 way split screen that shows the left and right trailer sides and a box in the center of the screen shows the rear. Which is also a selcetable camera view btw. 

13 hours ago, XY74 said:

I did the install on the camera today.  I'm a rebel and disobeyed a few things.  I ran the cable underneath, I just can't see any reason not to do so.  It comes with a nice loom to protect the wires and it's not that hard to secure it under there.  Secondly,  I used double sided 3M automotive trim tape to attach the camera.  I also did not want to drill holes in the middle of the back wall of the trailer.  It's good stuff and it feels very secure.  I measured the truck tailgate camera at the dealer to be 56", so I set the trailer camera at 60" as per the instructions.  Need the truck to do more.

IMG_2386.JPG

Hi XY74

I have a question on your particular install.  I see the camera cable comes out the top and then hooks around to go under your trailer.  Was this an intentional choice, were there any other mounting geometries that would work for your install?

15 hours ago, Wbrisett said:

So, I'm curious. With it mounted there you obviously don't get the 'invisible' trailer, so with it activated, what do you see? I'm kind of curious. I have the option of removing the bluetooth camera that's mounted on the top of the trailer, but figured I would go with the 'invisible' option. However that requires putting some additional holes in the Airstream, and I'm never crazy about doing that.  

You can see everything behind you up to the trailer and a long distance away from the trailer in hd. Its way more clearer than the wireless that came with the trailer. You can also leave it on while driving  it doesn't time out. Also when your backing up you can use it. when you 1st put it in reverse it goes to the tailgate camera but you can switch it to the trailer camera and it stays on the trailer camera. After using it I don't really see a reason for the invisible camera. Also even if I had mounted it for the invisible option with the wire mounted on the outside it would not have worked when i'm using my bike rack.

15 hours ago, Wbrisett said:

So, I'm curious. With it mounted there you obviously don't get the 'invisible' trailer, so with it activated, what do you see? I'm kind of curious. I have the option of removing the bluetooth camera that's mounted on the top of the trailer, but figured I would go with the 'invisible' option. However that requires putting some additional holes in the Airstream, and I'm never crazy about doing that.  

Another good thing about having it up high I forgot to mention is when I'm using my bicycle rack I can see the bikes while I'm driving.

How important is it that the auxiliary camera be centered on the back of the trailer? I care less about the disappearing trailer feature and just want to use it as a backup camera on a 25’ travel trailer. I’m considering centering the camera on the rear bumper and possibly relocating the spare. The other option is attaching it to the ladder at the correct height, but it would be off center.

What would be really cool is if some aftermarket company made a wireless receiver that connects a backup camera like a Furrion and ports it into the auxiliary camera input at the hitch. I’m not sure why Chevy didn’t look around at what cameras are already in use and go that route. I’m just trying to avoid having to have a monitor for the backup camera in the cab. 

E80ECB70-4AF2-4D0D-A0E7-F1E763878CD0.jpeg

1 hour ago, sdelam said:

i have mine mounted above the rear door of my work and play. The invisable trailer does work well there, it will come up occasionally but looses its calibration more times than not. When it does not work and that view is selected, it reverts to the 3 way split screen that shows the left and right trailer sides and a box in the center of the screen shows the rear. Which is also a selcetable camera view btw. 

I would love for somebody to show us a photo of these. There's a real lack of info on what options we have and what the infotainment screens look like in the various modes. 

14 hours ago, jaybauman said:

Please help me understand this comment that I bolded.  The rear end is only 1 part of the equation; the ratios of transmission gears are equally important here.  This is easy to see when plotting gear ratio vs. final drive ratio for each model.  I can understand why the truck might shift more often (i.e. there are more finite choices with the 10-speed), but this doesn't affect where you'll be when towing on the highway (i.e. at or near overdrive gears).

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 5.16.52 PM.png

Believe me I understand the ratios. Use the lower transmission gears for starting and lower rear end ratios for lower highway rpm however the lower highway rpm only added to more shifting and no improved mpg while towing. It is smoother while towing in the city with no big jumps when shifting. Also it does get about 2 mpg better when I'm not towing. My real point is maybe they should give us a choice. It was less annoying without all the shifting going on. My trailer is close to the max towing of 21000 and slightly over on pin weight of the 3500 srw if the trailer were a little lighter maybe it wouldn't be an issue.

51 minutes ago, Wbrisett said:

I would love for somebody to show us a photo of these. There's a real lack of info on what options we have and what the infotainment screens look like in the various modes. 

stole this off the internet

https://www.equipmentworld.com/chevy-wants-to-make-towing-easier-with-2019-silverado-1500s-new-tech-cameras-apps/

https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/silverado/camera-technology

2019-Silverado-Trailering-03.jpg

Edited by sdelam
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jaybauman said:

Hi XY74

I have a question on your particular install.  I see the camera cable comes out the top and then hooks around to go under your trailer.  Was this an intentional choice, were there any other mounting geometries that would work for your install?

The camera is marked "top" and the cord exits the camera body going up no matter how you position the bracket.  If you turn the camera over, the image would be reversed.  The loop isn't ideal, but it is necessary if you are going underneath.  I'm debating painting the cable the same color as the trailer just to make it stick out less. 

12 minutes ago, XY74 said:

The camera is marked "top" and the cord exits the camera body going up no matter how you position the bracket.  If you turn the camera over, the image would be reversed.  The loop isn't ideal, but it is necessary if you are going underneath.  I'm debating painting the cable the same color as the trailer just to make it stick out less. 

You know you can dismantle the plastic casing around the camera and unplug the wire then possibly route the wire through the refrigerator compartment. To conceal the wire inside the trailer. I did this on mine and ran it through the garage from underneath the trailer to completely conceal it on the outside

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, XY74 said:

I thought about the fridge compartment, but the plug end is pretty big (big holes).  You are saying there is a smaller plug inside the camera housing?

Yes the plastic housing comes off the camera and you can un plug the wire from the camera. I think you can get it through a 3/8" hole. I took it off and ran the whole cable from the front to back with the wire coming out the front by the pin box concealed the whole way.

I have a 40' Raptor toy hauler and I mounted the auxiliary camera above the rear garage door with the cable ran under the trailer I was not about to have a wire visible on the outside of the new trailer. We just got back from our trip to the Daytona 500 about a 10 hour drive. The 1st long trip for the new truck. The rear HD camera worked great and gave a really good view being mounted up high. It also had a really good view at night.  The truck over all pulled really good the trailer has a gvw rating of 17,000 no telling what it really weighs when loaded I find it has to shift a lot more than my 2017 Denali L5P with 6 speed and 3.73 gearing going up bridges and hills the old truck just kind of stayed in 6th gear at 68mph where as the new truck was constantly down shifting going up hills. I wish the new trucks had a 3.73 gear ratio option. I averaged 8.5 mpg about the same as the 2017 so nothing gained there with the 10 speed.
Would you happen to know part number of the rear camera kit you installed on your 40' trailer. I have a 40' fifth wheel and I'm concerned about the length of cable that comes with the rear camera kit.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk