Auxiliary Accessory Trailer Camera

Traded my 2019 Sierra 3500 in yesterday for the 2020 version. Definitely interested in the cameras. When I was at the dealership this morning to get a couple of things I forgot from my old truck, I asked about the invisible camera and a camera inside the trailer (we trailer horses, so an interior view of our horses would be great). Guys in parts didn't know, so he called the manager at the local GM parts depot who got my VIN and  looked it up. He called me back and said that they had the cameras in stock and I mentioned that I have a 49' long trailer and he said it would work with a bluetooth extender. 

So, now I'm trying to figure out if the camera setup is wired or wireless. Seems to me that the OEM cameras are wired - did he have his parts or my truck mixed up with something else?

The quote for 2 cameras with install was $1310. 
Yeah GM thinks they are made of gold. The aftermarket should have cheaper options soon.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

On 3/30/2020 at 10:50 PM, Cool J said:

GM was no help, but I was able to find a supplier for extension cables to swap the bumper plug with the bed plug at the following link within this forum. Copy and paste into your search engine.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/235530-help-w-relocating-camera-port-from-bumper-to-bed-for-5th-wheel/?do=findComment&comment=2388376

Did you consider/price an additional plug the same as the bumper and installing it in place of the one in the box instead of swapping?  I’m wondering how much one of the plugs is and just add it to the box. I may make some calls tomorrow if I ever get the wire fished all the way to the back of my RV....

I have a 45' long toy hauler. I understand at that length the camera will only work as a backup camera. My concern is I do not believe the supplied cable will be long enough to route the way I would like too. Does anyone know if there is any kind of extension cable available from anywhere?

First time poster, got some great tips here on how to mount the trailer camera so I figured I'd post pics of my install in case it helps others.

I have a 26' Travel Trailer so the cable length and hookups were perfect for my setup. Instead of drilling holes for the camera mount, I attached it to the camper with 3M super strength vehicle molding tape. I also placed the camera bracket upside down to avoid having the loop of cable out the top of the camera. I painted the cable white to try and blend it in a bit to the color of the camper. I also bought an extra Camco battery box to hold all of the slack cable at the front of the camper - I just drilled a couple holes on either side of the box to run the cable through. I used Cool J's tip to run the cable underneath through 1/2" non-metallic Liquidtight Flexible Conduit through some of the camper frame cutouts and I attached it in a couple spots with a some Line Clamps. 

Took it on a trip over the holiday weekend and it all worked great - love having the rear view transparent trailer option.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 1

Ok to help others that are setting up their cameras. I did in fact extend the camera cable 20 LF! I found that the truck side of the connector is hard to find at the best. So I disassembled the camera and found the camera used the same connector the bed plug uses that everyone got a 4 foot extension to move the plug into the bed from the bumper. I also did that. But my GN trailer is 48 feet and the 59 foot camera cable was short (I also planned slack in the truck bed). I contacted Derek in sales at Pasternack and we came up with a cable. Now the new extension cable is abut 3/16 inch thick and very susceptible to damages.  So you WILL have to sheath the cable for protection. Remember this is on the camera end of the cable routing. In my trailer I have a1/2 electrical EMT conduit which will protect the cable really well. 

Here is a link to the photo's and the bottom of the photos shows the new camera cable and the camera. https://photos.app.goo.gl/d2UVb4djaqf3ashL9

If you have questions let me know and I'll try and help.

One thing to add is I used a Scotch 133 rubber vulcanizing tape 1 layer and 1 to 2 layers of Scotch 33+ tape to fill the void on the camera ball where the camera enters the plastic ball.

Chuck

Edited by Gecko50
Added rubber filler tape

On 10/14/2020 at 8:29 AM, alaker42 said:

. I also placed the camera bracket upside down to avoid having the loop of cable out the top of the camera.

Did the image end up being reversed or upside-down when you placed the camera bracket upside-down?

20 hours ago, ShogunKC said:

Did the image end up being reversed or upside-down when you placed the camera bracket upside-down?

No, if you undo the screws on either side of the bracket, you can rotate the camera the other direction. One drawback is you won't be able to use the markings on the side of the bracket to line up the camera because the camera will be in a different position. I was able to eyeball the angle and it worked fine though.

• Like 1

Here's another idea for mounting & running your wires.  As I didn't want to drill holes in my rear wall, I mounted my camera to a piece of 3/4 × 1-1/2  aluminum channel and attached it to my to the ladder with stainless steel u-bolts. I then ran 3/4" PVC conduit under the trailer through the open tubing that the springs mount on for the entire length of the trailer. A wide 90 degree coupling then up the ladder. I pulled my wire before gluing that coupling to make it easier. 

20201027_100217.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

I just received my 2500 Sierra that came with the camera.  I have a 5th wheel trailer but my truck did not come with the 5th wheel trailering package.  The camera jack is in the normal bumper pull wiring harness.  As I have the 5th wheel harness installed (there is already a space dedicated for it with a blank cover) shouldn't there be a port for the cameral to plug into?  I see on this thread several of you have 5th wheel travel trailers. I assume you don't have the camera plugged into the bumper but rather in the bed next to the 7 pin connector right?  If the latter, I need to order that part so it can be set up correctly. Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

DSR

2021 2500  Sierra Denali "Black Diamond Edition" Duramax

On 11/6/2020 at 1:03 PM, DSR said:

Folks,

I just received my 2500 Sierra that came with the camera.  I have a 5th wheel trailer but my truck did not come with the 5th wheel trailering package.  The camera jack is in the normal bumper pull wiring harness.  As I have the 5th wheel harness installed (there is already a space dedicated for it with a blank cover) shouldn't there be a port for the cameral to plug into?  I see on this thread several of you have 5th wheel travel trailers. I assume you don't have the camera plugged into the bumper but rather in the bed next to the 7 pin connector right?  If the latter, I need to order that part so it can be set up correctly. Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

DSR

2021 2500  Sierra Denali "Black Diamond Edition" Duramax

See this thread...

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/235530-help-w-relocating-camera-port-from-bumper-to-bed-for-5th-wheel/

Thanks Chuck for the info and the pictures, I have a 38' toy hauler with the furrion camera, I like the camera but don't want the extra screen on the dash, I just took delivery of my 2020 3500,  will order the camera and extra cable next week and install. 

Thanks a lot I had this done over that past week with my hitch install. They were very appreciative that I already had the cables and knew what to expect.  I'm now trying to figure out how to feed the camera conduit thru the pinbox box down to the undercarriage of my trailer. If anyone has any hacks on getting from the pinbox to where the propane or genset is I'm all ears. Thanks again. DSR

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2020 at 9:08 AM, Gecko50 said:

Ok to help others that are setting up their cameras. I did in fact extend the camera cable 20 LF! I found that the truck side of the connector is hard to find at the best. So I disassembled the camera and found the camera used the same connector the bed plug uses that everyone got a 4 foot extension to move the plug into the bed from the bumper. I also did that. But my GN trailer is 48 feet and the 59 foot camera cable was short (I also planned slack in the truck bed). I contacted Derek in sales at Pasternack and we came up with a cable. Now the new extension cable is abut 3/16 inch thick and very susceptible to damages.  So you WILL have to sheath the cable for protection. Remember this is on the camera end of the cable routing. In my trailer I have a1/2 electrical EMT conduit which will protect the cable really well. 

Here is a link to the photo's and the bottom of the photos shows the new camera cable and the camera. https://photos.app.goo.gl/d2UVb4djaqf3ashL9

If you have questions let me know and I'll try and help.

One thing to add is I used a Scotch 133 rubber vulcanizing tape 1 layer and 1 to 2 layers of Scotch 33+ tape to fill the void on the camera ball where the camera enters the plastic ball.

Chuck

Chuck

Your pictures have the answer to a lot cheaper solution!

I googled the # that I could read on the exposed camera that you have in one of your pictures and it comes up as: 'Parking Reverse Rear View Backup Camera For 2019 Chevrolet Equinox'

A lot cheaper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/23390514-Parking-Reverse-Rear-View-Backup-Camera-For-2019-Chevrolet-Equinox-/254413806610

With a couple of the cables that you sourced from Pasternack and I  should be able to fab an enclosure/mount with a little bit of design and 3-D printing 

I'm gonna give it a shot

Thanks,

John

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 3:27 AM, Londart2020 said:

How do you do the iNCommand feature? I have a Cougar TT with that system. Thanks.

Here is info from the iNCommand website: https://in-command.net/get-in-command/

• Adrenaline by Coachmen – (Model Year 2019)
  • Alpine by Keystone – (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Big Horn by Lakota – (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Blaze’n by Pacific Coachworks – (Model year 2019 to Current)
  • Cougar by Keystone – (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Fuzion by Keystone – (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Lance  (Available on Select Models)
  • Luxe by RV Factory – (Model Years 2018 to Current)
  • Luxe Elite by RV Factory – (Model Years 2018 to Current)
  • Luxe Toy Hauler by RV Factory – (Model Years 2018 to Current)
  • Minnie Plus Fifth Wheel by Winnebago – (Model Year 2019)
  • Minnie Plus Travel Trailer by Winnebago – (Model Year 2019)
  • Montana Legacy by Keystone – (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Powerlite by Pacific Coachworks – (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Rage’n by Pacific Coachworks – (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Raptor by Keystone – (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Redwood  (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Sands by Spectrum – (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Sandsport by Pacific Coachworks – (Model Year 2019 to Current)
  • Voltage by Dutchmen – (Model Year 2019 to Current)