Help W/ relocating camera port from bumper to bed for 5th wheel,

I don't think anyone has come up with a solution considering the video cables are to short to move the plug to the bed. I keep thinking some after market company will develop extension video cables in the near future. I will be taking it to the dealership soon for my first service and I plan on requesting a fix under warranty; wish me luck.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 10:21 PM, Cool J said:

I don't think anyone has come up with a solution considering the video cables are to short to move the plug to the bed. I keep thinking some after market company will develop extension video cables in the near future. I will be taking it to the dealership soon for my first service and I plan on requesting a fix under warranty; wish me luck.

They will probably take a nylon strap tie , bundle up the excess hanging camera cord, and call it a day.  Good luck though!

I think I may have found a company that will make extension cables to move the bumper plug to the bed. I ordered them yesterday and should receive them next week. Once I get them and confirm they work I will pass the information on.

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2020 at 9:16 PM, Cool J said:

I think I may have found a company that will make extension cables to move the bumper plug to the bed. I ordered them yesterday and should receive them next week. Once I get them and confirm they work I will pass the information on.

Cool J, could you post or PM me the information on the company you found? Thanks for replying to the thread,

Just got back home after my wife's surgery and have completed extending my camera cables so I could swap the trailer plug with the video cable connectors from the bumper to the bed. It was a success and am very happy with the results and hope this helps everyone that tows a goose neck or fifth wheel.

I purchased the cables from PASTERNACK (www.pasternack.com) 866-727-8376, Sales Person was Derek Burkett with the following part numbers. The last two digits are the length. I ordered 36" which worked great, but some folks may want to order another 12". The total cost including taxes and shipping was less than $100.

a. Rear view camera cable (black) PE3W08444-36, description. Black FAKRA Jack to FAKRA Plug Cable Using LMR-100 Coax.

b. Inside camera cable (Water Blue which is a universal cable to connect to the Orange cable) PE3C2779-36, description. Water                Blue FAKRA Jack to FAKRA Plug  Cable Using LMR-100 Coax.

To install you will need to remove the bumper plug and the bed plug. The plugs have a metal squeeze clip that you need to press from the backside, the bumper can be accessed from behind the bumper and bed plug will require you to remove the rear taillight to access the rear of the bed plug. Your owners manual explains on how to remove the rear taillights. On the bumper plug video cables you will need to slide the red clips back and then push down on the release tab to release the jack from the plug. Next on the 7 pin connector you will slide the light grey clip back and then push down on the release tab to release the 7 pin connector (I found it easier to completely remove the grey clip due to access).

I installed the bed plug first which will require you to remove some of the spray-on bed liner and make adjustments to the metal squeeze clips to accommodate the Pyle National Plug and the thicker bed wall. It makes it easier to do a test fit before applying cables. I spent many hours searching and calling, but I couldn't find anyone that would supply waterproof connectors, so you will need to tape these up to keep out moisture.

The pictures will tell the story and I did finish up by using cable ties to secure the cables to the 7 pin cable harness from the bed plug to the bumper plug.

Cable 13.jpg

Cable 12.jpg

Cable 11.jpg

Cable 8.jpg

Cable 9.jpg

Cable 10.jpg

Cable 7.jpg

Cable 5.jpg

Cable 4.jpg

Cable 6.jpg

Cable 3.jpg

Cable 1.jpg

Cable 2.jpg

Cable 14.jpg

Cable 15.jpg

Edited by Cool J
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

• 4 weeks later...

What GM should have done is eliminate the 4 pin connector in the bed and installed the camera ports there also.  If you can have two 7 pin connectors you surely can have two camera ports.  Most of us have a 7-4 pin adapter plug to solve that problem.

Solves the problem for 5th wheel and bumper pull also.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, Cool J said:

Out of curiosity, what is length of your fifth wheel?  I read it could not be over 32 feet.  We are 42.  Thanks!  Dave

My length is 37' 8". I ran my camera cable under the RV-through the battery box and was able to fish it into the pin box which brings it out at the proper pivot point location and had about on extra 4' of cable left over in addition to the cable needed to make turns.

I also found a company that supplies the camera "as posted" which allows you to move your trailer receptacle from the bumper to the box.

Let me know if you need more info.