Help W/ relocating camera port from bumper to bed for 5th wheel,

I did the relocation this weekend on my truck, purchased the 2 cables as suggested 4 footers are the perfect length, moved 7way/dual camera port receptacle to the bed location the only issue I had were the 2 clips snapping back into place. What i did was pop the 2 clips out of the connector stood them up on end and tapped the 2 tabs that hold them in place down a little with a hammer (a little) put them back in and used a small screw driver to help snap them in place. Hope this helps if you are having problems with the clips.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/8/2020 at 6:27 AM, Cool J said:

Just got back home after my wife's surgery and have completed extending my camera cables so I could swap the trailer plug with the video cable connectors from the bumper to the bed. It was a success and am very happy with the results and hope this helps everyone that tows a goose neck or fifth wheel.

I purchased the cables from PASTERNACK (www.pasternack.com) 866-727-8376, Sales Person was Derek Burkett with the following part numbers. The last two digits are the length. I ordered 36" which worked great, but some folks may want to order another 12". The total cost including taxes and shipping was less than $100.

a. Rear view camera cable (black) PE3W08444-36, description. Black FAKRA Jack to FAKRA Plug Cable Using LMR-100 Coax.

b. Inside camera cable (Water Blue which is a universal cable to connect to the Orange cable) PE3C2779-36, description. Water                Blue FAKRA Jack to FAKRA Plug  Cable Using LMR-100 Coax.

To install you will need to remove the bumper plug and the bed plug. The plugs have a metal squeeze clip that you need to press from the backside, the bumper can be accessed from behind the bumper and bed plug will require you to remove the rear taillight to access the rear of the bed plug. Your owners manual explains on how to remove the rear taillights. On the bumper plug video cables you will need to slide the red clips back and then push down on the release tab to release the jack from the plug. Next on the 7 pin connector you will slide the light grey clip back and then push down on the release tab to release the 7 pin connector (I found it easier to completely remove the grey clip due to access).

I installed the bed plug first which will require you to remove some of the spray-on bed liner and make adjustments to the metal squeeze clips to accommodate the Pyle National Plug and the thicker bed wall. It makes it easier to do a test fit before applying cables. I spent many hours searching and calling, but I couldn't find anyone that would supply waterproof connectors, so you will need to tape these up to keep out moisture.

The pictures will tell the story and I did finish up by using cable ties to secure the cables to the 7 pin cable harness from the bed plug to the bumper plug.

Cable 13.jpg

Cable 12.jpg

Cable 11.jpg

Cable 8.jpg

Cable 9.jpg

Cable 10.jpg

Cable 7.jpg

Cable 5.jpg

Cable 4.jpg

Cable 6.jpg

Cable 3.jpg

Cable 1.jpg

Cable 2.jpg

Cable 14.jpg

Cable 15.jpg

• 9 months later...

This is a great thread and a long one (6 pages) so I hope I am not repeating a question already asked that I did not see.  Why do the two extension cables need to be different?  Is the connector for the outside vs. inside camera different on the cabling and socket?  Maybe so that the workers on the assembly line can't plug them in backwards.  I have read that these cables can run almost $100 for the 2 for the custom fabricator.  I saw this cable on Amazon and it is a bit longer than 3' which might help.  Can someone tell me if this will work for one (I guess I doubt both) cables?  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08JV7HDML/?coliid=I2OPCXNX7AFYCH&colid=TU6OJ75YHI3U&ref_=gv_ov_lig_pi_dp&th=1

Edited by Tom Brizzi

4 hours ago, Tom Brizzi said:

Why do the two extension cables need to be different?  Is the connector for the outside vs. inside camera different on the cabling and socket?  I saw this cable on Amazon and it is a bit longer than 3' which might help.  Can someone tell me if this will work for one (I guess I doubt both) cables?  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08JV7HDML/?coliid=I2OPCXNX7AFYCH&colid=TU6OJ75YHI3U&ref_=gv_ov_lig_pi_dp&th=1

I don't think that there really is any difference between the two cables other than the color of the connectors. Both cables are Fakra Male to Fakra Female (assuming you are looking at PE3C2779-48 & PE3W08444-48).

I am not sure about the Amazon cables - there isn't enough detail to determine what type of Coax (Pasternak cables are low-loss LMR-100) and the polarity of the cables. 1m might be a little tight, but there are others here that made the change using 3ft cables. Also remember these cables will be outside - the Amazon cables look to be designed for hooking up internal vehicle connections (GPS, radio, etc.). 

At that price point, wouldn't hurt to order them and try. Amazon returns is pretty easy if they don't work. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 1:20 PM, Kyle Royston said:

I’ll be ordering some cables as soon as my truck gets in. Does anyone have a PN for the 7 way and camera plug insert in the bumper? I was thinking about ordering another as opposed to moving the one on the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part Number: 13526856

On 7/18/2021 at 8:44 AM, gemarsh said:

Anyone that has done this mod, have the gm part number for the 7way/dual camera port receptacle? I'm not having any luck online. Would rather not pull the bumper receptacle out and not be able to find the number on it.

I'm wanting to order another. Keep the bumper receptacle in place, run just 1 extension cable to a new 7way/camera port receptacle in the bed.

My intention is to have 1 camera on a bumper pull trailer and another camera on a 5th wheel trailer. 

I hate having to decide which one gets the camera. 

Thanks in advance. 

Part Number: 13526856

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to give a shout out to Cool J and everyone else's contributions to this install. Pasternack was very easy to deal with and very quick shipping. I had to get another 48 " extention for the 5thW. Just returned from a 800 mile round trip to moab. The camera worked flawless for monitoring my atvs on the their trailer. I wish it would remember which camera view you were using when backing up/going forward/backing up. But it does remember which camera view if you change the info Infotainment screen. 

• 1 month later...

We all wonder why GM just did not do this from the start.  PASTERNACK makes extension cables now for the past few years, to relocate the bumper plug to bed, thanks to Cool J work. I just reach out to PASTERNACK to see if they could make a splitter cable so I could just add one to the bed and keep the factory bumper plug with camera input. They told me they could not. Found another company and after a few emails, we came up with a set. Ordered them on June 29th and just received them today July 4th. Total install time of 15 mins, with most of that being removing the bed liner so new plug could snap in place. You can reach from underneath the bed to unclip the factory bed 7/4 way plug. Once that plug was out of the way, held the new plug in place to mark the bed liner. Used a sharp wood chisel to remove the liner with a clean tight line (touch paint up with paint marker). After this, pulled the bumper plug out just enough to unhook the camera connectors. Plugged new cables into the factory truck wire and into the bumper plug and snapped it back in place. Ran both cables which was placed in 1/4" loom together and ran it close to my bed plug harness (should of order 5 feet instead of 4 feet so it would follow harness better. See last picture) and plugged into new bed plug. Once finish cleaned area up. Hope this helps other

Parts needed:

7 Pin W/Dual Camera OEM plug: GM 13526856

Cables from vcablemart.com

$25.09 each plus $22.00 for shipping. Total: $72.18

Once on their site,

-click contact us,

- Name, email, then under enquiry, Put 2021-2024 GM bed camera relocation wire (Maybe if enough people order they will save spec so it be easier for others) paste the following "Black A type male (x1) to Black A type female 6 inches long (x1) and Black A type female 4 feet long (x1) with LMR-100 coax. Then a set using Water Blue with same configuration".

20230704_135542.jpg

20230704_135633.jpg

20230704_142917.jpg

20230704_151824.jpg

Edited by DHufford

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 2:17 PM, DHufford said:

We all wonder why GM just did not do this from the start.  PASTERNACK makes extension cables now for the past few years, to relocate the bumper plug to bed, thanks to Cool J work. I just reach out to PASTERNACK to see if they could make a splitter cable so I could just add one to the bed and keep the factory bumper plug with camera input. They told me they could not. Found another company and after a few emails, we came up with a set. Ordered them on June 29th and just received them today July 4th. Total install time of 15 mins, with most of that being removing the bed liner so new plug could snap in place. You can reach from underneath the bed to unclip the factory bed 7/4 way plug. Once that plug was out of the way, held the new plug in place to mark the bed liner. Used a sharp wood chisel to remove the liner with a clean tight line (touch paint up with paint marker). After this, pulled the bumper plug out just enough to unhook the camera connectors. Plugged new cables into the factory truck wire and into the bumper plug and snapped it back in place. Ran both cables which was placed in 1/4" loom together and ran it close to my bed plug harness (should of order 5 feet instead of 4 feet so it would follow harness better. See last picture) and plugged into new bed plug. Once finish cleaned area up. Hope this helps other

Parts needed:

7 Pin W/Dual Camera OEM plug: GM 13526856

Cables from vcablemart.com

$25.09 each plus $22.00 for shipping. Total: $72.18

Once on their site,

-click contact us,

- Name, email, then under enquiry, Put 2021-2024 GM bed camera relocation wire (Maybe if enough people order they will save spec so it be easier for others) paste the following "Black A type male (x1) to Black A type female 6 inches long (x1) and Black A type female 4 feet long (x1) with LMR-100 coax. Then a set using Water Blue with same configuration".

I did a similar setup on my 2021 Sierra except I used the commonly posted Pasternack extension cables and a cheap FAKRA splitter cable found on eBay/Amazon for about $10.  When using the cheap FAKRA splitter cable the truck recognizes that a camera is connected but I can only get a black screen from it. After seeing your post I ordered the same cable from vcablemart as you did and unfortunately get the same results with it. Through extensive process of elimination I have confirmed every other part works properly (I have 3 GM trailer cameras, about 6 cables, 2 FAKRA splitter cables, and 2 GM camera/7 pin trailer plugs). Every camera works in every port with every cable as long as neither splitter is inline. With either splitter inline in any configuration, I can only get a black screen... even if I only connect one half of the split cable to either GM 7 pin/camera port receptacle and leave the other half of the splitter hang free. I'm at a loss as to what to try next other than give up on the hope of having 2 working trailer camera ports.

Could you confirm whether or not you have tested your setup with the vcablemart FAKRA cable splitter inline yet?  If it works for you then I will probably continue troubleshooting mine... even though I'm not sure what else to try.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 2:34 AM, UserXYZ said:

I did a similar setup on my 2021 Sierra except I used the commonly posted Pasternack extension cables and a cheap FAKRA splitter cable found on eBay/Amazon for about $10.  When using the cheap FAKRA splitter cable the truck recognizes that a camera is connected but I can only get a black screen from it. After seeing your post I ordered the same cable from vcablemart as you did and unfortunately get the same results with it. Through extensive process of elimination I have confirmed every other part works properly (I have 3 GM trailer cameras, about 6 cables, 2 FAKRA splitter cables, and 2 GM camera/7 pin trailer plugs). Every camera works in every port with every cable as long as neither splitter is inline. With either splitter inline in any configuration, I can only get a black screen... even if I only connect one half of the split cable to either GM 7 pin/camera port receptacle and leave the other half of the splitter hang free. I'm at a loss as to what to try next other than give up on the hope of having 2 working trailer camera ports.

Could you confirm whether or not you have tested your setup with the vcablemart FAKRA cable splitter inline yet?  If it works for you then I will probably continue troubleshooting mine... even though I'm not sure what else to try.

UserXYZ I have not tested the video yet. Have been trying to find a friend that have a camera so I didn't have to spend $500 for 1 right now. Even talked to my buddy at the dealership and they don't even have one to test customer trucks out if they come in with problems. I guess I was just figuring it should work, since I did not see any reason it should not work.