Help W/ relocating camera port from bumper to bed for 5th wheel,

On 10/10/2020 at 8:54 AM, Gecko50 said:

Well the cable extensions are on the way! I had them make a 20 foot extension cable. It suppose to plug into the camera and then into the old camera plug. If this works then we can extend cables at the camera end. I did not want to cut into the rubber handle cable end and see what cable ends it has. I too a multiple photos of the cable ends. I called Pasternack and discussed with their tech department. Here is a link to the photos I took. Just as a FYI https://photos.app.goo.gl/d2UVb4djaqf3ashL9 Take a gander and check it out.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Did the 20’ camera extension work?

Ok, been following this and have one question. I have a 32' 5th wheel and will relocate the camera connection to the bed. Do I need a extension cable just for the move or will only need it if my trailer is longer than 32'? 

1 hour ago, GMC4Zee said:

Ok, been following this and have one question. I have a 32' 5th wheel and will relocate the camera connection to the bed. Do I need a extension cable just for the move or will only need it if my trailer is longer than 32'? 

There are a couple things going on in this post. Orginally it was just for relocating the two camera ports from the bumper to the bed. For that look for Cool J's post on the first page. Order 48" "extensions" VS the 36" he used (he mentions wishing he had got 48" cables).

To swap the plugs you'll need these. The whole job maybe takes 30-45 min.

The other thing going on in this post is making extensions if you have a long trailer. That extension is for the GM camera setup for the trailer. @ 32' I don't think you'll need and extension for the camera itself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 10:40 AM, McEagle said:

Hi Chuck,

Did the 20’ camera extension work?

Yes they did in that earlier photo link I added some photos of the install. I also added some descriptions of each photo. What I first did was remove the camera plastic ball housing with the 2 screws. Then I removed the cable from the camera. I then plugged in the new 20 foot cable and connected the original cable end. I took everything to my truck and plugged it in like I would for a trailer hook up. I started the truck and while in the cab I had the camera all plugged in and was able to field check it was all good prior to reassembly. Looked fine you will find it will also be fine. Remember I had the trailer adapter also plugged in to simulate I had the trailer plugged in and I got the mirror cameras to work showing the split screens.

Chuck

Edited by Gecko50

CoolJ , when swapping the receptacles, you remove the 7 pin connector and swap to new one going in? Do you have to fish the camera harness up to the bed and bring the 4 pin harness down to the bumper? Just got down there and looked to try to sum up the job before I start. I assume there is enough cable to get the camera harness up to the bed?

29 minutes ago, GMC4Zee said:

CoolJ , when swapping the receptacles, you remove the 7 pin connector and swap to new one going in? Do you have to fish the camera harness up to the bed and bring the 4 pin harness down to the bumper? Just got down there and looked to try to sum up the job before I start. I assume there is enough cable to get the camera harness up to the bed?

You need extensions outlined on the first page.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that I would post up some pics of my camera install on my 47' gooseneck horse trailer. Because of the trailer length, I ordered a 25' extension cable from Pasternack (SKU PE3W08444-300). I installed the camera at the bottom of my hay rack, which is above 3" above the actual trailer itself. I routed the cable down through the generator pod and into the back of the trailer (which is a storage area for tack, saddles, etc.). From there, I kept it hidden inside some panels and routed it towards the front of the storage area where I drilled a hole into the metal panels and ran the cable into the storage mangers on the left side of the trailer. That allowed me to keep the cable in a dry area and protected, because that's where the extension cable meets up with the OEM cable.,

From there, I drilled a hole in the floor and the cable exits the storage mangers to the exterior underneath the trailer. I then zip-tied the cable to the propane gas line that goes up to the front of the trailer. 

I wanted originally to have the cable go into the bumper, but I didn't have enough slack and broke the cable connector from the coax. I just ordered the extensions I need to move the camera connectors into the bed. 

Picture1.jpg.3179fe57d21131a795a35450b393ce49.jpg

Back of the trailer - camera mounted above the double doors on the hay storage pod. 

IMG_2238.thumb.jpg.8084d50da90c3f56df18bf322199391a.jpg

Closer look of the camera. Routed the cable into the hay pod and then into the generator pod and down the conduit for the generator cables into the trailer.

IMG_2239.thumb.jpg.a98331675e7698240c278505d79b0d44.jpg

Here's the conduit from the generator into the trailer.

IMG_2240.thumb.jpg.b3000eb52f601bfe1e113c95c805e54b.jpg

This is where the extension cable meets the OEM cable inside the storage mangers. Running the cable through the manger allowed me to keep the Pasternack extension cable out of the elements except for maybe the first 2-3 feet and also keeps the connector protected as well. 

IMG_2243.thumb.jpg.5b03425285675646e48004074258f2b0.jpg

Ran the cable under the trailer attached to the propane gas line with zip ties. 

16 minutes ago, bsmall1564 said:

Nicely done. I’m sure that camera will workout great for your needs ShogunKC. 

I'm in the process of rerunning my cabling as we speak on my 5th wheel. 

I may suggest if your in progress. If you pull thru a 90 elbow (electrical elboe) get some clear wire lube. Lube it generously and it will have resistance but should go thru. 

Good Luck

Chuck

4 hours ago, Gecko50 said:

I may suggest if your in progress. If you pull thru a 90 elbow (electrical elboe) get some clear wire lube. Lube it generously and it will have resistance but should go thru. 

Good Luck

Chuck

Thanks Chuck for that information. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thanks for the great information everyone.  I am finally getting after this mod - moving the bumper plug to the bed of the truck.

I was able to do everything successfully, but the only thing that I cannot seem to get working is getting the clips to hold for the plug that is now in the bed of the truck.  I know that Cool J said that he had to modify the clips to get them to work.  Is anybody able to provide an explanation as to how you accomplished this?  I did remove the bed liner already, so the plug is sitting against metal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Larry your post was a tremendous help with relocating the camera port to the bed in my 2020 Chevy 3500HD High Country.  Pasternack knew exactly what I was after when I called to order the slightly longer 4' cables suggested. I didn't have time to do this myself but with the instruction manual you posted a local auto audio installer did the mod quickly and cheaply. They mentioned the printed instructions I gave them saved a lot of time and saved me money.

Typical short sighted GM so fixated on the gimmicky transparent trailer they don't seem to acknowledge the fifth wheel and gooseneck towers want to use the integrated backup camera too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 4:05 PM, cdnSpinalTap said:

I cannot seem to get working is getting the clips to hold for the plug that is now in the bed of the truck.  I know that Cool J said that he had to modify the clips to get them to work.  Is anybody able to provide an explanation as to how you accomplished this?  I did remove the bed liner already, so the plug is sitting against metal.

Finally did my move yesterday from the bumper to the bed. Also fixed the broken cable end on the camera that snapped when I did a u-turn out of the barn with the gooseneck.

I ended up pulling the "ears" on the clip outward so that they would have the more distance needed to snap into place. 

One of them snapped right in - the other I had to get underneath with a long screwdriver and pulled at it until it also snapped into place. 

Anyone that has done this mod, have the gm part number for the 7way/dual camera port receptacle? I'm not having any luck online. Would rather not pull the bumper receptacle out and not be able to find the number on it.

I'm wanting to order another. Keep the bumper receptacle in place, run just 1 extension cable to a new 7way/camera port receptacle in the bed.

My intention is to have 1 camera on a bumper pull trailer and another camera on a 5th wheel trailer. 

I hate having to decide which one gets the camera. 

Thanks in advance.