Transmission Replaced what's the break in procedure?

Transmission went out on my 2014 LTZ 4x4 109856 miles. before Christmas, no codes or of any signs of trouble. Out shopping with the wife on the way back home from Kansas City. Pick up started fine no service lights or trouble lights of any kind. Drove for a bout 10 miles all of the sudden would rev. high no forward motion would just coast. Pulled over on the highway thinking it was just a fluke, turn it off and started the vehicle again drove fine for a mile. Then it totally went out, check transmission to see if it has fluid, it was where it supposed to be on the dipstick. No leak underneath, but had a weird grinding noise from underneath near the transmission. Everything else was working fine,engine running smooth, heater and radio. Transmission temp. 196F, but still no forward motion. Called USAA which I might change my vehicle insurance or add AAA would only towing up to 16 miles paid for the remaining miles to the dealer which was 130 miles away. Flat bed came and towed to the dealer, which where I had the vehicle serviced 10,000 miles ago. Had bought a extended warranty that covered all that's mechanical. Took about 1 week for the insurance company to the make a decision to replace the transmission. Yes, they found metal shaving in the pan but still no signs of transmission going out, so am getting a re-manufacture transmission from GM with a 3 yr or 100000 miles warranty. Now my question is what's the break-in procedure? 

If you ask me, none.

Think of it like a brand new truck but in reality it's just a truck with a new transmission. There are no specific details that have to be followed. Like no 1,000 mile and change the fluid type thing. Just jump in and start driving it.

It's either going to work or it's going to slip/blow up on you.

21 minutes ago, 14LTZ-1LZ said:

It will be still under warranty for 3/100,000. What kind of tune do you suggest? 

No break-in.  As for tune, one that will firm up the shifts.  Nothing drastic that you would really notice. Soft shifting is what people want but it is the death march of a transmission so to speak.  Soft shifts = slipping which = heat build up and wear.

Also running a high quality synthetic helps.  Dexron HP and dexron LV are good specifications but lower cost brands just meet that spec.  I don't push AMSOIL much but if you ask me AMSOIL's transmission fluid and gear oil are high quality over AC Delco brand fluid.   I just changed the fluid on my 2002 Silverado with 100,000 miles on it's transmission fluid and the used oil analysis came back great.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats a tough one. Some say the dealer can see changes and some not. Heres the question. Do you plan on keeping the truck or trading it.

I personally am going to keep mine and throw a rebuild kit from PAC in which includes the much needed upgrades from sonnax.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

No break-in.  As for tune, one that will firm up the shifts.  Nothing drastic that you would really notice. Soft shifting is what people want but it is the death march of a transmission so to speak.  Soft shifts = slipping which = heat build up and wear.
Agreed^^^

OK, thank you for the advice. I will have to look around my area for someone to tune the transmission.
Wanted to add I'm insured through nationwide. Free towing 100 miles a year. Even if you just bought a vehicle 1 min ago[emoji106]

• Thanks 1

After I got the truck back took it for a drive you could say 122 miles round trip. Keep an eye on the trans temp. I guess I didn't pay attention before, but on the trip the temp. gauge reach 199 is this normal? 

Yes.

There is a thermostat in the oil cooler line, it is designed so that the transmission run at or around what the coolant temp is.

Most people will delete the oil cooler line thermostat so it runs 30-40 degrees cooler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 4:49 PM, CamGTP said:

Yes.

There is a thermostat in the oil cooler line, it is designed so that the transmission run at or around what the coolant temp is.

Most people will delete the oil cooler line thermostat so it runs 30-40 degrees cooler.

That's the first I've heard about a tranny thermostat.  Any details on how to remove it ?

Mine was rebuilt and the thermostat deleted. Im in upstate NY and it gets cold, into single digits but my trans still works fine. I never get over 140s even in summer, unless im stuck in crawling traffic.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:49 PM, CamGTP said:

Yes.

Good idea Cam, I need to do this on my 6L plow truck to make the trans run cooler. Not a lot of airflow in the rad/cooler at 4mph plowing, that and the exhaust pipe running right below the trans pan to help heat it up.