In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Fred Harris

Automatic transmission winding out 1st gear

My 1988 Silverado k1500 with 5.7 liter engine wants to wind out in first gear before shifting. I prefer a faster shift into high gear for being able to cruise at lower speeds without winding out 1st gear and constant down shifting. I understand it has something to do with the linkage going to the EFI throttle body. Any suggestions or help/remedies would be greatly appreciated. The engine was recently replaced and the problem is more obvious since the swap. Higher gear at lower speeds is what I'm looking for. Makes for louder mufflers in the woods too.Thanks in advance! Fred

Edited by Fred Harris
Additional information

Replace your TPS. Easy cheap and will probably fix it.

Check the adjustment on the detent cable at throttle body,press the button,hold throttle wide open,release button,do this with engine off, of course