Cat Temps (pre-post)

Alright I got her up to operating temperature after taking a drive and took some temp readings on my catalytic converter on both sides. 

Drivers side: 291°F pre cat 287° Post Cat

Passenger side: 270°F pre cat 340° Post Cat

Took a longer drive to get her hotter and these temps were read...

Driver's: 313° pre cat and 384° post cat

Pass: 330° pre cat and 489° post cat

What does this tell you? Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Lsxtrucker
Additional information

I'm sure a lot of this information is already on the net.

Ideally the pre-cat to post-cat temps should be different with the post-cat temps being hotter because of the work being done inside the cat converter itself. If the temps pre-cat are way hotter than the post-cat, there would be a restriction inside the cat converter.

With your readings, it seems after the longer drive that the passenger side cat is in slightly better working order than the drivers side because it's warmer. But I bet if you did that test several times the readings would change a little bit. A good test is to beat the snot out of the truck a few times, get the exhaust super hot, get the cats super hot. Pull off the road somewhere and take your temp readings.

If you are not getting codes P0420 or P0430, then they are not at fault right now. Those codes are directly related to cat converter performance.

15 hours ago, Lsxtrucker said:

Alright I got her up to operating temperature after taking a drive and took some temp readings on my catalytic converter on both sides. 

Drivers side: 291°F pre cat 287° Post Cat

Passenger side: 270°F pre cat 340° Post Cat

Took a longer drive to get her hotter and these temps were read...

Driver's: 313° pre cat and 384° post cat

Pass: 330° pre cat and 489° post cat

What does this tell you? Thanks in advance. 

Did you hit them with an infrared thermometer?  KBuskill took readings like that on his over at the TahoeYukon Forum.  I use the computer readings, my cats while idling are 700-800 degrees and 1100-1500 degrees while cruising.

1 hour ago, sefiroxx said:

Probably running rich I the passenger side, dumping fuel on the cat and heating it up

Thank you very much for replying and this gives me much needed peice of mind. Especially with my hands being full getting the parts for my Evap Vent solenoid in order. Thanks a ton. 

Your fuel trims would tell you if that was true. So watch those and see if it matches up.

But the other kicker is that the computer is smart and will pull fuel from the side running rich to make everything even again.

• Like 2