Swapping key fobs

I don't care for the new key fob.  The buttons are backwards from the way I'm used to using them (lock is raised and unlock is depressed now).  Is it possible to program an older key fob style to the newer pickups?  I'd like to program this fob to my 2018 Silverado; has anyone tried anything like that?

Edited by belchfire

1 minute ago, flyingfool said:

might be able to 3d print a custom texture

I thought of that myself.  I have a buddy with a 3D printer; I'll bet it would be relatively simple.  I may have to take the plunge and see if I can get that done.  Thanks again, for that link.

So I haven’t watched any but on youtube there’s a couple different videos on how to program the new style K2 fobs for the older style trucks that use the style fob you linked above. 

I wonder if you could use this process to program the old style ones? 

K2 truck fobs are supposed to be programmed at the dealer but dormian makes a programmer to do it. I bought one to program a extra fob for my 015 when I got my AJT one. (I like mine for what it’s worth) I believe it works up to 3 times then it’s done if I remember right? It comes with a fob but you can program other ones with it. There’s a video of it in this thread on page 2.

I would assume as long as the old style fobs are the same frequency as your current ones it would work? 

• Like 1

AWESOME, wforrest08; that's a great video!  I have long since discovered the programming sequence for the older trucks, but the newer trucks won't work that way.  However, this video proves that the new fobs work with the old trucks, and that, in turn suggests that the old fobs may work with the new trucks.  Depending on the cost to have one programmed, I might try having the dealership program an old fob to see if it works out.  Thank you so much for that video link!

Also, I have sent an email to the tech support contact at Dorman Products to ask if the older fob would work with the new trucks.  We'll see.  I expect that they'll say no, just to protect themselves, but I may have to try it just to find out.  They also say that 2017 and newer trucks require an additional scan tool from the dealership or a locksmith, but if you look up Dorman 99352 on Amazon, there are two reviewers who specifically said that they were able to use it to program their 2018 Silverados, so I have hope.  Thanks again!

Quick update:

Dorman Products was quick to answer.  They said that the older fob would not work with my truck and even more importantly, their 99352 wouldn't work with my truck.  Their product literature explains that the remote start feature requires additional programming; that's probably why the Amazon reviews include success stories; those folks probably don't have remote start.  Oh well....

Thanks for you help guys!

i'm not positive about this but you might be able to use the "clone" TECH2  device to reprogram your key fobs to the trucks BCM, they are sold on Amazon and are very useful for many other features you will soon be learning about as you own these complicated vehicles