Bed Cap for 2500/3500

I have been checking the ARE website since late January waiting for the release of their CX fiberglass cabs for the 2020 2500 GMC's.  I stopped at our local ARE dealer here in Vermont in early February and was told the molds were just being completed and production should be starting late February.  I checked with the dealer again two weeks ago.  He is taking orders but told me it's still 3 weeks or so before delivery.  I think he was being optimistic.  I think with the coronavirus it will be much longer.   In the meantime I have decided to purchase a Retrax pro tonneau cover instead.  I have a long trip coming up next month and need protection for gear in my bed.  I also have the technology package with the 360 camera systems so I get the use of 2 of the cameras back with the tonneau.  and it was $500 cheaper 

4 minutes ago, artie2908 said:

I have been checking the ARE website since late January waiting for the release of their CX fiberglass cabs for the 2020 2500 GMC's.  I stopped at our local ARE dealer here in Vermont in early February and was told the molds were just being completed and production should be starting late February.  I checked with the dealer again two weeks ago.  He is taking orders but told me it's still 3 weeks or so before delivery.  I think he was being optimistic.  I think with the coronavirus it will be much longer.   In the meantime I have decided to purchase a Retrax pro tonneau cover instead.  I have a long trip coming up next month and need protection for gear in my bed.  I also have the technology package with the 360 camera systems so I get the use of 2 of the cameras back with the tonneau.  and it was $500 cheaper 

Which Retrax did you get?  My dealer told me the one with the wide rail is not available for the 3500HD.   Just curious if you experienced the same thing. 

Edited by cdnSpinalTap

I got the regular rail.  I really didnt care if the stake holes were partially exposed.  I got it online from Realtrucks.com   I checked with dealers  around here and the price is more or less fixed.  No deals to be had.   I was checking some on line sites for prices and saw a %10 discount.   I called this place and  haggled with them.  I got $300 off.   It was a good deal.    I will admit the wide rails would be a cleaner look  but to me it wasnt a big deal. 

I just got mine from realtruck as well.  Slightly discounted plus $100 mail in rebate.  I ran a full ARE canopy for years and just got sick of washing and buffing it and not being able to load tall items in it.    It was nice for the dogs, but that's about the only thing I miss about the full canopy.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have researched all leading Truck Cap manufacturers, and none have a canopy designed for the 2020 GMC 3500 HD dually with an 8ft bed. My preferred choice would be Leer, but at this point I would buy from whatever manufacturer comes out with one first. I depend on a canopy for transporting Kayaks, one is 19 feet long. I also carry bicycles in the back that would not fit with a Tonneau. Securing loads when camping is also important. I love the truck, but am disappointed that I have now lost all the functionality I had with my 2016 with a Leer cap.

Edited by Merlinsmerc