In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Ranger522vx

Check engine light!?

2019 5.3 8 speed trail boss.  Any idea what might have caused a check engine light.  With all the recalls and now this I’m really starting to get pissed off.  Traded a 2015 sierra to avoid problems and now I wished I would have kept it.  

219FB135-1D9C-4B7A-85C2-76A3DEC55C2C.jpeg

If you have On star, you can hit your On star button and ask them if they can run a diagnostics.

• Haha 1

Don"t kid yourself. Onstar can only see codes and maybe take a shot in the dark what it could be. They can't diagnose anything.

When I got into the truck the next day the check engine light was gone. Hasn’t shown up again.  Not sure what the deal was.   

I know not related but the most common reason for check engine lights on modern vehicles now is the gas cap not being on tight enough.  Not sure if these have gas caps or are like the HDs that don't have gas caps anymore and just a stupid silly flapper?  If you do have a gas cap, the rule of thump is tightening it 3 clicks if it does click. 

Probably easier to ask what doesn’t cause a CEL on these things. I have made peace with the fact it’s just always going to be on.

Dealer tells me all brands have issues...I guess I’m the idiot for thinking a new truck should be reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk