Suggestions mounting air compressor?

Hey everyone,

I’m currently debating on where to mount my ARB twin air compressor.

The engine compartment on the duramax is already fairly tight but not out of the picture completely, I’d need to build a custom bracket.

Somewhere in the cab, under a seat etc

Or in the bed/under the bed area - I’d prefer it not to be “outside” more susceptible to the elements.

The end goal is I’d like to have an easy external access point for connecting a hose for whatever (filling tires etc) but I also want to use this to control rear air bags as well so I’d need an easy route to the leaf spring area.

I’m still investigating routes and locations but figured I’d reach out if any of you have any tips. This will be the first time installing onboard air and can’t believe I waited this long as I’m always needing air.

Thanks for any tips!

8dcef2b175fe5557b32df46b7dc51f27.plist

1 hour ago, FirstAscent said:

Hey everyone,

I’m currently debating on where to mount my ARB twin air compressor.

The engine compartment on the duramax is already fairly tight but not out of the picture completely, I’d need to build a custom bracket.

Somewhere in the cab, under a seat etc

Or in the bed/under the bed area - I’d prefer it not to be “outside” more susceptible to the elements.

The end goal is I’d like to have an easy external access point for connecting a hose for whatever (filling tires etc) but I also want to use this to control rear air bags as well so I’d need an easy route to the leaf spring area.

I’m still investigating routes and locations but figured I’d reach out if any of you have any tips. This will be the first time installing onboard air and can’t believe I waited this long as I’m always needing air.

Thanks for any tips!

8dcef2b175fe5557b32df46b7dc51f27.plist

I mounted mine under the rear seat- I have the single ARB though.  

• Like 1

I mounted mine under the rear seat- I have the single ARB though.  

Thanks! Yeah I saw your thread earlier. I like that spot too and looks like I can make mine fit similarly from the test fitting I did.

My only “issue” with that location is I’m not sure how I’d get the air hose routed to the exterior for the air bags. Perfect for air hose for airing up tires or something with it cooled up like you have it, but will have to see if I can find a good route from there to the exterior.

Do you use yours just for random fill ups?

8 hours ago, FirstAscent said:

Thanks! Yeah I saw your thread earlier. I like that spot too and looks like I can make mine fit similarly from the test fitting I did.

My only “issue” with that location is I’m not sure how I’d get the air hose routed to the exterior for the air bags. Perfect for air hose for airing up tires or something with it cooled up like you have it, but will have to see if I can find a good route from there to the exterior.

Do you use yours just for random fill ups?

Yes. I use it for my boat and camper mostly. I used to off-road a lot as well so if I ever find myself needing to air down the ARB will be a necessity!  
I blew up 3 cheapo air compressors before I bought the ARB. LOL. 

It would be easy to run the airline up to the firewall and out one of the factory rubber nipples they provide for wire routing. Then you can go whoever you want outside the truck.   Not sure if that works for you but it’s a suggestion. 

Edited by Limelight
  • Like 1

I’ve got one more light project before I get to the air compressor. I’m wanting the dual ARB you have but I need to be prudent with money so I don’t know what I’m getting yet. 

I am actually considering mounting it on the drivers side under the driver or passenger. There’s a lot of area behind the factory steps that looks like it’d easily swallow up the compressor. 

I’m thinking there for a few reasons:

1 I want to have a shorter battery run and I can run 8 gauge to there pretty easily. I have the upfitter switches so I’d start from the passenger battery and go up and over the firewall. That also means a heavy duty relay of some sort. Haven’t researched it yet.

2 the passenger side has too many opportunities for the exhaust to interfere. I’m planning on running the output fitting to the area right next to the trailer plug. A run of the high pressure hose from the drivers side would be pretty short. 

3 if/when I add a tank there’s also plenty of room in the same area. 

these are my very preliminary thoughts. I found that area while I was under there installing rock lights. Looks like a natural fit to me. 

@blamkin86 - Yeah makes sense, crazy times right now!

Thanks for your input, it's sunny today and not raining so I'm planning on trying to locate a couple potential mounting places, I'll look in the area you mentioned. These things aren't fully waterproof, they have an IP55 rating which protects against low pressure water so technically should be sufficient as long as you aren't pressure washing it. But "should" be OK where you mentioned from random spray from rain etc. I won't be driving through rivers or anything so there wouldn't be any submersion. 

From a wiring and output fitting location it definitely makes sense though. I just finished wiring my upfitter switches last night thanks to you! Although the rocker switch that comes with the compressor is pretty sweet haha

9 hours ago, Limelight said:

Yes. I use it for my boat and camper mostly. I used to off-road a lot as well so if I ever find myself needing to air down the ARB will be a necessity!  
I blew up 3 cheapo air compressors before I bought the ARB. LOL. 

It would be easy to run the airline up to the firewall and out one of the factory rubber nipples they provide for wire routing. Then you can go whoever you want outside the truck.   Not sure if that works for you but it’s a suggestion. 

I need to take a look closer at the firewall, this could potentially work if I can find a good route to get the air line outside. The area I used to run the upfitter switches is already pretty tight, I can't imagine getting a 1/4" hose through the same area though. 

Inside the cab or the engine bay would be my preference for mounting though to keep it clean and away from the elements. 

If you mount it under the passenger seat inside the cab there is an access plug you can drill through.

I used a uni-bit and sealtite conduit from Lowe’s.

This was 1/2 inch but 3/4 would fit.

ba1f7e36456c579940f95a1f1900b02e.jpg

If you mount it under the passenger seat inside the cab there is an access plug you can drill through.

I used a uni-bit and sealtite conduit from Lowe’s.

This was 1/2 inch but 3/4 would fit.

ba1f7e36456c579940f95a1f1900b02e.jpg

Thanks! I just happen to be out looking for locations right now and looked, so you just drilled this out to suit your needs?

0a0d2b11cf8686b6a96cd0ae69f87805.plist
@Limelight - what path did you choose for your wires? Did you run them under the carpet up front and then through the firewall?

Yes, I removed the rear seat on driver’s side, pulled up the door sill and carpet and put a 2x4 under the carpet so the drill doesn’t tangle the carpet.

I drilled through the round fitting and installed the 90 Sealtite fitting.

In my case I ran coax through it for a radio but an air hose would work the same.

While I had the carpet up I ran a power wire under the carpet and along the rear door sill, driver’s sill and up the driver’s kick panel to the upfitter switch.

• Like 1

@kfy9r thanks! That’s very helpful!

Ok everyone I now have potential plan #1 test fitted:

1. Utilize the access hole noted by @kyf9r on the PASSENGER side to run air hose to exterior

2. Run power and switch harnesses under carpet along door sill to upfitter switches and continue power wires through firewall to battery.

3. I have the standard under seat storage, I didn’t want the larger storage this time (had it on my 2019 1500) but still think I have a good spot.

I’ll need to create a bracket that raises the mounting platform 1” off the floor (thanks user manual for the test fit) this looks like I’ll have proper clearance and the seat still lifts up and down.

4. I’d have to relocate the spare tire levers as they were in the way for this option.

Test fitting different heights for a mounting bracket
17b82e70186602cd6b168c3ed0d2d031.jpg

Compressor in proposed place
1121df68c89a1e5698f327448a5fe79e.jpg

Seat down, good clearance
6e31841fa6270d296675114cfb9018ed.jpg

Looks like a good choice. I permanently carry a huge ice fishing tent in front of the rear seats so that spot is out for me. I need the storage.

now I’m worried about water because I definitely go through shallow creek and river crossings several times a year. 

• Like 1

Had anyone looked at the area between the (diesel) air filter and passenger fender???

Looks like if you move the horns, there may be enough room there. If so, that seems like a great place to mount this ARB compressor. 

I’ll go look at the dimensions. 

• Like 1

Just now, blamkin86 said:

Had anyone looked at the area between the (diesel) air filter and passenger fender???

Looks like if you move the horns, there may be enough room there. If so, that seems like a great place to mount this ARB compressor. 

I’ll go look at the dimensions. 

Actually, I did notice that also! the horns would need to be relocated but the problem, at least with my specific kit, is there wasn't enough room in the opening to squeeze the compressor down there. Looks like plenty of room if it were in place, but not enough room to get it down there, the opening isn't large enough :( 

38 minutes ago, FirstAscent said:

Actually, I did notice that also! the horns would need to be relocated but the problem, at least with my specific kit, is there wasn't enough room in the opening to squeeze the compressor down there. Looks like plenty of room if it were in place, but not enough room to get it down there, the opening isn't large enough :( 

Hmm....

I wonder how hard it is to get that fender off there...

(only partially kidding.)