Suggestions mounting air compressor?

For the dual compressor it looks like it’d still be pretty tight, but not sure.

I was looking at how I’d route my power wire if I mounted it under my passenger seat... not sure as there is a large connector/fuse at each end, if need a pretty large hole in the firewall to get either end through.

[mention=199819]limelight[/mention] hire’s did you route your power wire?

See attached photo, one end has the two large fuses and the other has a good size connector. I took a look but didn’t see many options for getting anything this large through it.

Did you cut your wires before the fuse and extend it from there? Even if I did that I’m not sure I could get it through the hole I used for the upfitter switches, it’s pretty tight already. 4354bf7497bab464b945e0d16a1f88f9.jpg

9 minutes ago, FirstAscent said:

For the dual compressor it looks like it’d still be pretty tight, but not sure.

I was looking at how I’d route my power wire if I mounted it under my passenger seat... not sure as there is a large connector/fuse at each end, if need a pretty large hole in the firewall to get either end through.

[mention=199819]limelight[/mention] hire’s did you route your power wire?

See attached photo, one end has the two large fuses and the other has a good size connector. I took a look but didn’t see many options for getting anything this large through it.

Did you cut your wires before the fuse and extend it from there? Even if I did that I’m not sure I could get it through the hole I used for the upfitter switches, it’s pretty tight already. 4354bf7497bab464b945e0d16a1f88f9.jpg

If you look closely at the pics I posted you will see I mounted an auxiliary fuse box next to the compressor- it’s powered from that. The fuse box  is powered by 8 ga wire directly to the battery with a circuit breaker. 
As of right now I’m also powering a 12v outlet in the bed from this fuse box (for my ARB Fridge)

I made a custom wiring harness for my compressor- kept some of their wiring, and eliminated a lot of it. Since I’m not using air lockers, the harness was needlessly complicated.  Now it’s neat and tidy. 

If you look closely at the pics I posted you will see I mounted an auxiliary fuse box next to the compressor- it’s powered from that. The fuse box  is powered by 8 ga wire directly to the battery with a circuit breaker. 
As of right now I’m also powering a 12v outlet in the bed from this fuse box (for my ARB Fridge)

I made a custom wiring harness for my compressor- kept some of their wiring, and eliminated a lot of it. Since I’m not using air lockers, the harness was needlessly complicated.  Now it’s neat and tidy. 

That’s right! Thanks I remember that now.

Did you end up routing your wiring through an existing hole/grommet in the firewall? If so, driver or passenger side?

9 hours ago, FirstAscent said:

That’s right! Thanks I remember that now.

Did you end up routing your wiring through an existing hole/grommet in the firewall? If so, driver or passenger side?

There are grommets already there on the firewall  for that purpose- both sides!  They have extended nipples ( lol) for the wiring to come through. You can barely see the passenger side grommet from the passenger footwell. I pushed a  small metal wire right through it into the engine bay- then I taped my wire to it, put some dialectic grease around it and pulled it right through.   Really easy. 

• Like 2

So I’m moving forward with the install under the backseats similar to what@limelight did.

I just ordered the remaining items I needed, larger gauge wire, solenoid, circuit breaker, fuse block.

I have decided to go for the larger rear under seat storage though, I had the larger one in my 2019 Silverado and wasn’t happy with it.

So my options are:

OEM
Weathertech
Husky

Does anyone have any experience with these under seat storage boxes?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I caved and ended up buying the oem larger under seat storage. I knew it would be a perfect fit and some of the aftermarket options always had the one thing that made me double think it.. like one of them needing a strap to secure it when there are existing studs available for the factory jack/tools.

Picked up the storage today and doing more test fitting. Already have my main power cable ran (disconnected at battery).

This is my current test fitment. Trying to finalize this before I start connecting wires etc.

41c41f8386b537de47695162be942990.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 8:57 PM, FirstAscent said:

Well I caved and ended up buying the oem larger under seat storage. I knew it would be a perfect fit and some of the aftermarket options always had the one thing that made me double think it.. like one of them needing a strap to secure it when there are existing studs available for the factory jack/tools.

Picked up the storage today and doing more test fitting. Already have my main power cable ran (disconnected at battery).

This is my current test fitment. Trying to finalize this before I start connecting wires etc.

41c41f8386b537de47695162be942990.jpg

So just ordered the same compressor for my AT4, wondering if you had any issues with heat using this install method?  Seems like these things run hot so was worried about jamming it into a plastic box?  Awesome post btw, as haven't seen any others on this.  Was also thinking of running the airline out of the rear somewhere and mounting the quick-connect in the front foot wheel for the box for easier access, but haven't quite figured out where to put the hole for it...

• Like 1