Need help on determining bed size on 2500hd

Hello everyone 

I'm new here and very happy to join you guys in this amazing forum.

I need help in determining the bed size of a GMC truck that I'm looking to buy and my issue is that i can't go see it myself due to the current curfew going on in my country.

However, i tried looking up the VIN# but some sites decode the vin as a long bed and other sites say its short bed so i don't which is right.

I couldn't determine the bed length with the car pictures either because its actually off and it was replaced by custom tool box bed and the current owner is not sure.

Here's the car info

2001 year GMC Sierra crew cab 2500HD 

Vin#1GTHK23U61F192465

I attached the only pictures I've got

Thanks

20200421_170415.jpg

20200421_170459.jpg

20200421_170446.jpg

When I used a internet VIN decoder it comes up as a crew cab standard bed.

Have him measure the wheel base and you will have your answer. I believe 153 inches is the standard bed and 167 inches is the 8 foot long bed.

4 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

When I used a internet VIN decoder it comes up as a crew cab standard bed.

Have him measure the wheel base and you will have your answer. I believe 153 inches is the standard bed and 167 inches is the 8 foot long bed.

Exactly what I was about to say...have them check the wheelbase length

1 hour ago, Fahad0 said:

Hello everyone 

I'm new here and very happy to join you guys in this amazing forum.

I need help in determining the bed size of a GMC truck that I'm looking to buy and my issue is that i can't go see it myself due to the current curfew going on in my country.

However, i tried looking up the VIN# but some sites decode the vin as a long bed and other sites say its short bed so i don't which is right.

I couldn't determine the bed length with the car pictures either because its actually off and it was replaced by custom tool box bed and the current owner is not sure.

Here's the car info

2001 year GMC Sierra crew cab 2500HD 

Vin#1GTHK23U61F192465

I attached the only pictures I've got

Thanks

Per the VIN, the bodystyle is a TK25943.  Crew cab long box 4x4.    

Breaking that down:

T - GMC

K - 4 wheel drive

25 - 2500hd

9 - 8 foot long box

43 - crew cab.

Its also got the 6.0 gas, 5 speed manual, 4.10 gears no locker in the diff.  

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Per the VIN, the bodystyle is a TK25943.  Crew cab long box 4x4.    

Breaking that down:

T - GMC

K - 4 wheel drive

25 - 2500hd

9 - 8 foot long box

43 - crew cab.

Its also got the 6.0 gas, 5 speed manual, 4.10 gears no locker in the diff.  

Thanks man , thats awesome. may i know which web vin decoder site you used because i get different results between them. They seem to be corresponding on everything except the bed size!

55 minutes ago, Fahad0 said:

Thanks man , thats awesome. may i know which web vin decoder site you used because i get different results between them. They seem to be corresponding on everything except the bed size!

Right from the GM parts catalog via a friend of mine.  The catalog gives a full model identification and breaks down the VIN.  Unfortunately no website for it.  A parts department at a local GM dealer in your country would have access to it however and they might be able to print the whole build sheet for you.

The label in the glovebox would have the body code printed on it however.  That would always be a quick way to identify cab and box as the body code information can be found all over the web.    

Edited by newdude

15 hours ago, newdude said:

Right from the GM parts catalog via a friend of mine.  The catalog gives a full model identification and breaks down the VIN.  Unfortunately no website for it.  A parts department at a local GM dealer in your country would have access to it however and they might be able to print the whole build sheet for you.

The label in the glovebox would have the body code printed on it however.  That would always be a quick way to identify cab and box as the body code information can be found all over the web.    

Thanks man , so do you think i dont need to double check on that as its confirmed its a long box? or they're might've been some error in the vin decoding?

Sorry about asking because i just asked the owner to meusure the wheel base and its going to take a long time and I'm kinda of in hurry to buy that truck.

2 hours ago, Fahad0 said:

Thanks man , so do you think i dont need to double check on that as its confirmed its a long box? or they're might've been some error in the vin decoding?

Sorry about asking because i just asked the owner to meusure the wheel base and its going to take a long time and I'm kinda of in hurry to buy that truck.

VIN says its a long box.  Unless they did something strange like cut the frame down, its a long box.  Sure looks like one from your pictures too.  

• 3 weeks later...

The best way to determine this is the build sheet label. The VIN is good, but the label in the glove box will be definitive. It will explicitly state a number like "TK25943". The 9 means long bed (8 foot), a 7 means short bed (6.5 foot).