2019 Tahoe - Rodent Damage to Gas Tank

I bought my truck new 3 months ago, and recently got a check engine light.  Took it to the dealer, they replaced a part, when that didn't work, they dropped the gas tank.  They found holes in the top of the tank made by a rodent and said a new tank is going to cost $1600.00!!!!!   Has this happened to any of you??????????????

One way to offset the cost would be the deductible amount of your comprehensive insurance since this damage is not something listed under your bumper to bumper.  Is the 1600 a price the dealer is working with you on or is that the cost of parts and labor on a new tank?

• 3 weeks later...

Thats sounds very odd how could a rodent  get in there an why would they chew a gas tank. Its unheard  of until now. Being its 3 months old can they prove that it happened in your possession.  It could happened in factory or warehouse and that allegation  is more believable  . Have you ever had issues  with rodents where  you  park your vehicle. They are more likely to chew wiring or wood than the top of your gas tank. Its easy to beleive that you were supplied with a faulty gas tank  being discovered it 3 months into possession. I hear  far too many stories of gm denying warranty coverage  that it almost sounds like a corporate culture 

How long was the vehicle sitting after production to your time of purchase? Many of these vehicles sit in open unpaved overflow lots dealers have usually around wooded areas. So it’s plausible a rodent got in there. But to eat a gas tank? Hmmm. I would think wire coverings first but who knows. Try to see the damage for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk