I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 and my engine light came on and has been on for about a year now. I took the truck to the dealer ship to get codes ran on it and they said it was code P06DD. They told me that it could possibly be the oil pump. I do not see how it could be that because my oil level is good and my oil pressure is good and doesn’t fluctuate. I kinda think it might be the oil pressure sensor. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could possibly be. Thanks!

I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 and my engine light came on and has been on for about a year now. I took the truck to the dealer ship to get codes ran on it and they said it was code P06DD. They told me that it could possibly be the oil pump. I do not see how it could be that because my oil level is good and my oil pressure is good and doesn’t fluctuate. I kinda think it might be the oil pressure sensor. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could possibly be. Thanks!

What does your oil pressure usually run ? Does it fluctuate abnormally ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for responding. My oil pressure stays right at 40 where it is supposed to be. It doesn’t fluctuate at all unless you you smash the gas down which is normal. 

• Like 1

Thanks for responding. My oil pressure stays right at 40 where it is supposed to be. It doesn’t fluctuate at all unless you you smash the gas down which is normal. 

Np[emoji106] okay yeah, that sounds normal to me too. I haven’t looked up that code you sent, but if it has to do with oil pressure it could be the oil pressure sending unit. But that doesn’t seem to be a problem with the gauge apparently reading out fine. There are several things that use the oil pressure to activate (like the AFM system...) so it could be a problem related to something that’s using the pressure. It seems unlikely that the oil pump just “went out”

Since my engine light has been on my truck will not swap between V8 and V4. I don’t know if that is normal when the light is on or if that helps narrow down anything.

1 hour ago, Cowboy55 said:

It is a two stage pump, normally at idle you will drop down to around 25 PSI or so.

Just inquiring, you had a CEL on for a year? They very rarely go away by themselves on new vehicles. 

Yes it has been on for roughly a year. Every now and then it will go off on its own for like a day or so then come right back on. I have tried to clear the code my self and so has the dealership. When you clear the code you can go a few miles down the road before it comes back on. 

It is a two stage pump, normally at idle you will drop down to around 25 PSI or so.

Just inquiring, you had a CEL on for a year? They very rarely go away by themselves on new vehicles. 

That is good to know. I didn’t know it was normal to drop down to 25psi at idle.

1 hour ago, Pierce Vaughn said:

That is good to know. I didn’t know it was normal to drop down to 25psi at idle.

Yea, lot of things on the trucks works like this, charging system being another.

That is why I think the OP has a problem if pressure never drops.

An oil control solenoid valve, controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM), mounted to the oil pump provides two-stage functionality. The oil pump is mounted on the front of the engine block and driven directly by the crankshaft sprocket. The pump rotor and vanes rotate and draw oil from the oil pan sump through a pick-up screen and pipe. The oil is pressurized as it passes through the pump and is sent through the engine block lower oil gallery.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Cowboy55 said:

Yes it has been on for roughly a year. Every now and then it will go off on its own for like a day or so then come right back on. I have tried to clear the code my self and so has the dealership. When you clear the code you can go a few miles down the road before it comes back on. 

Personally, I would take it somewhere else.

If the best they can do is to try and clear the code, and can't even do that, sounds like you have a problem.

It is not uncommon for the oil pumps to fail in these engines.

8 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Personally, I would take it somewhere else.

If the best they can do is to try and clear the code, and can't even do that, sounds like you have a problem.

It is not uncommon for the oil pumps to fail in these engines.

Hey, A P06DD is a Engine Oil Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Performance. Lets talk about this for a moment because I have seen this code many of times.

It's kinda a weird one so I am thinking of where to start. Lets start with there is a Engine oil pressure control solenoid that is part of the oil pump assembly. It can be changed separate from the oil pump and it is tested by using the following inputs. Engine speed, Engine Temperature, Oil Pressure and Run time. When the solenoid is commanded on, the oil pressure gets lower and when it's commanded off the oil pressure gets higher.

Here is what you're right on. You have oil pressure. That doesn't mean the system is working properly. A lot of the time you will find the solenoid is damaged. Every time I pull an oil pump for this, I remove the Solenoid and the tip normally falls off into 2 pieces. I will show you a picture of it below.

So, You can take it somewhere else, and let them tell you what you want to hear (that it's something other than the oil pump pressure solenoid) change it and continue to have the problem. Or you can take it to the dealer and let them replace the pump (which comes with the valve) or tell them to just replace the valve and get the problem fixed.

I have never understood why people take there vehicle somewhere, and when the don't get the answer they want... look for a different answer. If you didn't trust that they were competent enough to fix it, why take it there to begin with?

Also, To reply to the above quote... These solenoids... Which are part of the pumps in these vehicles... Fail ALL the time

. Capture.thumb.JPG.383ad60396d9a68c956f0c2a311fcf57.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, carnau said:

Hey, A P06DD is a Engine Oil Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Performance. Lets talk about this for a moment because I have seen this code many of times.

It's kinda a weird one so I am thinking of where to start. Lets start with there is a Engine oil pressure control solenoid that is part of the oil pump assembly. It can be changed separate from the oil pump and it is tested by using the following inputs. Engine speed, Engine Temperature, Oil Pressure and Run time. When the solenoid is commanded on, the oil pressure gets lower and when it's commanded off the oil pressure gets higher.

Here is what you're right on. You have oil pressure. That doesn't mean the system is working properly. A lot of the time you will find the solenoid is damaged. Every time I pull an oil pump for this, I remove the Solenoid and the tip normally falls off into 2 pieces. I will show you a picture of it below.

So, You can take it somewhere else, and let them tell you what you want to hear (that it's something other than the oil pump pressure solenoid) change it and continue to have the problem. Or you can take it to the dealer and let them replace the pump (which comes with the valve) or tell them to just replace the valve and get the problem fixed.

I have never understood why people take there vehicle somewhere, and when the don't get the answer they want... look for a different answer. If you didn't trust that they were competent enough to fix it, why take it there to begin with?

Also, To reply to the above quote... These solenoids... Which are part of the pumps in these vehicles... Fail ALL the time

. Capture.thumb.JPG.383ad60396d9a68c956f0c2a311fcf57.JPG

Good to know, thanks for the detailed info.

Site needs more responses like yours, to help solve more problems and not get taken advantage of when it is time to fix it.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 5:02 PM, Cowboy55 said:

I had the exact code, same symptoms, ordered the oil pressure sensor and changed it even tho the oil Hague was marking. Also changed the oil and now the code went away hope this helps!