Infotainment Audio Issues

I have intermittent issues with my audio on my “radio”.

2020 GMC 2500HD AT4 (Diesel, but that shouldn’t matter).

The sound will cut in and out. Sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a few minutes the sound will go from whatever volume I have it set to silence.

The audio source doesn’t matter, I have the issue with FM, XM, iPhone music via Bluetooth, phone calls, the Weather app...

I have taken it to the dealership twice and they have tried software updates. Once was a newer version, once was reverting to an older version.

The dealer did acknowledge they had observed the issue.

It does seem to happen more often when the vehicle is hot. I live in Phoenix AZ so it’s in the low 100’s for highs right now.

Anyone else seeing anything similar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yep I'm having issues with audio as well. Mine is a LT with upgrade radio and while driving the sound quits and I have to change stations to get to work,  then when starting the truck audio does not work and have to change channels to get to work. 

Have a 2019 custom 'Trail Boss' and I have been having issues with the radio since 600 miles. The screen wont come some times, and other times the touchscreen wont work. Its something different almost every week, Ill be driving with the radio on and the screen will go black and stop working all together. The Infotainment has the base 7" screen, when I start the truck and the radio works its Christmas for me. I have had the truck into the dealer 4-5 times with the radio and they keep telling me its a programing issue and GM knows about and are working on a repair, but nothing at this time. 

Additional info...

My screen always works, only the sound cuts in and out.

Infotainment System Update v148 from Dec 2019

When the radio is working, sometimes the screen wont work, and Im stuck with the station I had on last.

Ive talked to GM customer service and they say they are aware of the issue....Thank you for knowing about an issue your having with your trucks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm having similar (but not exactly the same) problems.  My service department claims that this is a problem that SiriusXM needs to resolve.  

I could understand if my problems were always with XM, but the audio issues arise with no regard to the selected audio source.  My truck is in the shop for the 3rd time for this issue.  If this was a software issue, it should be quite prevalent.  Instead, there are a few of us (according to GM) having these issues.  I told them to start ripping out hardware and replacing it until the problems go away....I'll update if they find a way to fix my problems.

I'm having similar (but not exactly the same) problems.  My service department claims that this is a problem that SiriusXM needs to resolve.  

I could understand if my problems were always with XM, but the audio issues arise with no regard to the selected audio source.  My truck is in the shop for the 3rd time for this issue.  If this was a software issue, it should be quite prevalent.  Instead, there are a few of us (according to GM) having these issues.  I told them to start ripping out hardware and replacing it until the problems go away....I'll update if they find a way to fix my problems.

My problem is definitely not Sirius XM as the source doesn’t matter. FM / XM / Phone Calls / Steaming audio (cuts in and out whether the phone is connected via Bluetooth or plugged in).

It’s almost like the connector isn’t plugged in all the way and there is an intermittent contact.

Mine has been in twice for this problem.

I have a 2020 that I just got a month ago. On one occasion, it was a warm day so we had the windows down & radio up. Well it stuck in the loud position & we couldn’t get it to turn down. Tried restarting/resetting everything. Finally, we just turned the radio off & drove home. Turned the truck off at home, went in to get my husband & when he came out & started the truck, the problem had resolved itself. The other two times, it was black screen when starting the truck at home. Had to turn the truck off & back on. 

My audio cut out problems seem to be worse when the temperature is hot.

The bad news for me is that I live in Phoenix.

• 4 weeks later...

Jay, have you had any resolution for your audio problems?

1 hour ago, kf9yr said:

Jay, have you had any resolution for your audio problems?

Between having my truck in the shop and not driving much lately, I cannot give you a definitive answer.  It seems better, but I cannot say for sure.  I'm heading out on a cross-country trek tomorrow, so I'll find out for sure either way.  

When I did get my truck back yesterday, I noticed some subtle differences in the user interface (e.g. incoming phone call screen is a bit different), so I am thinking they updated my audiovisual software.  Fingers crossed....

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 4:13 PM, jaybauman said:

Sounds like the same/similar problem I'm having with my 2500 gas Denali.  Upon startup siriusxm will sometimes constantly search for satellites (never fixes itself) or any of the infotainment in regards to sirius is unavailable.  Problem starting to get worse, waiting to hear back on dealer. Kris

My wife and I drove 1200 miles over this last long weekend and the issues were very minor.

We had the “radio” set on a Sirius/XM station and we commented on how few times it cut out.

I’m starting to think it may be heat related.

I live in Phoenix AZ and the temps have been in the 110 range with the truck interior much hotter when I get in. Since most of my trips are short the system doesn’t cool down much.

Our trip was up to Flagstaff and on to Durango, Silverton and Ouray CO. The weather was much cooler so possibly that helped.

We drove back Sunday afternoon and today the audio was cutting out when I was speaking to my mother on the phone. I switched the phone audio from the truck to the phone handset and the audio started working well again. It is cooler today but still 106...

I’m interested in hearing about how Jay’s system worked on his trip...

There is a service bulletin out on the issue. effects a lot of GM products. Unfortunately no fix at this time.  Once they find a fix they will either update it over WiFi or with a stick you can plug in .  ETA unknown at this time.

Edited by airwolf912

• 4 months later...

I picked up my truck this afternoon after taking it to the dealership for squeaky brake pads (TSB took care of it).

I took a recording of the radio sound cutting in and out while playing XM/Sirius, FM and my phone.

They were able to replicate the issue and try the solutions suggested by GM Tech Support.

They wound up replacing the head unit and so far it has been working great.