In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
newdude

How To: Chevrolet Performance Cold Air Intake 2014-2018 and 2019 LD Silverado 5.3

Posted (edited)

First time doing a how to!

Just purchased the Chevrolet Performance CAI for my 2019 LD Silverado (LD = Old Body style for those that might not know).  While getting it ready, I thought I would try and work on a DIY how to.  

As far as the intakes go for Silverado, GM has them available for 5.3 engines only for the 2014-2019 K2XX trucks and SUVs.  Part #s are as follows:

- 2014-2016:  84756329

- 2017-2018:  84451091

- 2019:  84794977

- Replacement FIlter:  23231630

Now, GM doesn't list these intakes for GMC it seems, but they will work.  Its more than likely due to the fact that they are branded "Chevrolet Performance".  If you have a GMC Sierra/Yukon/Yukon XL with a 5.3, these will work.  

Also, sorry for the format of this and the picture size.  If I do another how to in the future I will come up with something a bit better looking.

Pros of the GM CAI:

- High quality piece.  The airbox itself mounts exactly as the factory one, no modifications necessary to anything.  

- Great looks.  

- 50 state legal unlike many aftermarket intakes on the market.  Looking at you California...

- Dry filter.  No need for oiling (perfect for GM as they hate oiled filters with a passion)

- Intake sound is increased.  Its much more cleaner sounding than a K&N open intake but you can still hear the growl.

- No programming.  Plug and play intake.

- No voiding of warranty for those that worry about something like that.  

Cons of the GM CAI:

- Price.  MSRP is $625.  Replacement filter MSRP is $115.  Be sure to shop around or if you have MyRewards points, they would be great to cash in and knock down the price.  

- If you like loud intakes, again, its not full on open K&N loud but still has a good sound to it.  

Unfortunately I don't have any dyno numbers.  GM claims a 15% restriction reduction with it.  I'd imagine its good for 10-15hp?  No change in fuel mileage so far for better or worse.  Also, no catch can on my truck, stock intake was bone dry and back side of throttle body was clean at 15,000 miles upon installation of the intake.  The PCV tubes had the finest and I mean finest oil film on the inside of them, but the intake ducting itself was dry.

Install starts below.  Also, check out the very last picture for a surprise....

Edited by newdude

Posted (edited)

So, with that information, lets get started!

First some housekeeping.  You will need the following tools:  

- Flathead screwdriver or 8mm socket and 1/4 inch ratchet.

- 11mm socket.  1/4 inch drive with 1/4 inch ratchet would be best for clearance.

- Dish soap of your choosing.  

Once you've got all that ready, its time to begin. 

First step.  Grab your intake and open up the box.  You will find the following parts and pieces inside it:

- 1 Air Box Bottom

- 1 Airbox Foam Seal

- 1 Airbox Clear Top

- 4 Airbox Top Bolts

- 1 Air Filter

- 1 Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) Tube

- 1 MAFS tube to Airbox Rubber Coupler

- 1 MAFS to Clean Air Duct Bellows

- 1 Clean Air Duct                                                                                                                            

- 1 Clean Air Duct to Throttle Body Rubber Coupler

- 1 Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Line 20 inch

- 1 PCV Line 10.5 inch

- 1 PCV Line 2.5 inch

- 2 PCV Line to Engine Fittings

- 1 PCV line T fitting

- 6 Duct/Hose Clamps

- 1 Emissions Certification Label (If Applicable)

r8h1qWu.jpg

Edited by newdude

Once you've verified everything is there, time to start removing the stock airbox and intake tube.  

• Open your hood.  
  • Locate the two PCV lines going to the valve covers.  One tube goes to the driver's side, the other the passenger side.  I removed the lines from the engine side as I found it easiest.  Grab ahold of the fitting on the end of the tube.  Push in the wide gray portion of the retainer on the fitting and pull up on the fitting.  This will release the fitting from the PCV nipple.  Do not try to screwdriver pry the gray retainer out of the fitting.  Repeat for other side.
  • Grab your flathead screwdriver or 8mm socket with 1/4 inch ratchet and begin to loosen the clamps.  You will want to hit up the clamp at the throttle body and the clamp where the duct attaches to the airbox.
  • Once the duct clamps are loose, pull the duct off the airbox end, followed by the throttle body end.  
  • Before removing the airbox, locate the MAF sensor plug.  There is a red locking tab on the end of the connector.  With your finger or flathead screwdriver, slide the red tab up but DO NOT remove it from the connector.  Once slid up, push the retainer on the connector and pull up on the connector to release it from the MAF.  You will also see the harness is attached to the airbox with a christmas tree type strap.  Simply pull it out from the box.
  • The airbox can be removed whole, but you can also remove the lid first if you want, as well as that brace above it.  It isn't necessary however.  Simply pull up and with some jerking motion side to side and the box will release from the grommets in the base.  The two grommets closest to the engine side of the tray will be reused.  Leave them in the tray.

3INJxF8.jpg

ulz8OZ2.jpg

tGHtmNy.jpg

PZVVSGX.jpg

bghjB27.jpg

Posted (edited)

Time to assemble the Chevrolet Performance intake.  

• Grab the main airbox and the fender foam insulator.  Remove the center piece from the foam as its not needed.  Peel the backing off the foam and stick it on the fender side of the airbox.  
  • Take the airbox and install it to the airbox tray in the truck.  I would start by sliding the pre-installed grommet into the slot on the fender side of the tray, then install the other two nipples into the existing grommets that stayed in the tray.
  • Grab the air filter and one of the provided clamps and install it in the airbox with a flathead screwdriver or 8mm and 1/4 inch ratchet.  The filter is a dry style filter, no oil needed/necessary.  
  • Grab the MAF tube collar and install it to the airbox.  Place a clamp on the end of the collar.  There is a notch at the top and center (12 o'clock if you are facing the airbox) and a notch on the collar.  When installing the collar to the box, line up the notches as this is important later on.
  • On the stock airbox, grab your T15 Torx socket or bit and remove the MAF sensor.  Locate the MAF tube from the CAI kit and install the sensor into it.  There is a keyed notch on one end of the tube.  The key is the airbox side of the tube, and that key will line up with the collar notch on the intake.  

H4nqUbK.jpg

0BFZBbB.jpg

0Lf0MoV.jpg

Y2tWBU8.jpg

Edited by newdude

Posted (edited)
  • Once the MAF tube is installed to the airbox, tighten the clamp previously installed on the MAF collar                                                                                                                                                                                                 
  • Grab the intake bellows and two clamps.  Place a clamp on each end.  The bellows is keyed to the intake side of the MAF tube, so when installing to the MAF tube, line up the key to the notch on the MAF tube.   
  • Grab the main intake tube and the throttle body collar.  Place the collar on the intake tube and a clamp on the each end of the collar.  The large end of the collar goes on the tube, small end on the throttle body.   
  • The next bits can go a couple ways.  The instruction sheet from GM has you install the bellows to the MAF tube, then the main intake tube to the bellows and the throttle body.  What I did was install the bellows to the main intake tube and leave all the clamps loose.  I put the bellows end on the MAF tube end first, then the intake tube to the throttle body.  You can install that which ever way works better for you however.
  • Tighten all clamps when everything is lined up for the tubes.    

6qrszWF.jpg

Y6Xtrox.jpg

LiX3eZv.jpg

PkZoOvv.jpg

Edited by newdude

• PCV lines.  There are three rubber hoses, the 2.5 inch, 10.5 inch and 20 inch.  Starting with the 2.5 inch, take the black Tee long end and place the hose on the end of it.  Dish soap is ideal to slide the fitting to the hose.  I tried silicone spray, had no luck.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
  • Take one of the provided PCV fittings and install it on one end of the 10.5 inch hose.  The shorter of the two longer hoses goes to the passenger side rocker cover.  The other end of the hose installs to the left side of the Tee.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
  • The other fitting gets installed to one end of the 20 inch hose, then the other end of the hose installs to the right side of the Tee.  This is the driver's side hose to driver's side rocker cover.                                          
  • Take the assembled hose unit and start by installing the open end of the 2.5 inch hose to the intake tube nipple.  Then attach the fittings to their respective rocker covers.  

MudGwwD.jpg

JGGW1UH.jpg

m9JjUOd.jpg

2jjzaoG.jpg

Cx4r5cv.jpg

• Reinstall the MAF connector to the MAF sensor.
  • Take the lid and the 4 provided lid screws.  The lid is stamped "FRONT" on the left front corner of the cover.  When installed, it will line up behind the passenger headlight.  Tighten the 4 screws to secure the lid.
  • In the box, there are emissions labels provided for gas or flex fuel vehicles.  You can install them either on the back side of the lid or on the hood.  There is also a C.A.R.B. sticker if necessary for your state to be installed under the hood.  Oh, and the cool Chevrolet Performance decal too.
  • Enjoy your intake!

CoPr8HP.jpg

c4r1wzm.jpg

utzA2Hm.jpg

tAxFv5X.jpg

The final product

xLujmzY.jpg

Wait, you never unhooked the battery!!!

How you didn't destroy everything is beyond me. 😎

All kidding aside, it's a good write up. The battery thing I still find funny though, why almost all instruction say that is beyond me. I've ripped half an engine apart with the battery still connected before lol.

• Like 1

Almost forgot the surprise at the end....

W8tPdbO.jpg

Yes, that is not a typo on the label.  K&N produce the "Chevrolet Performance" K2 intakes for GM, just like Corsa does the "Chevrolet Performance" branded exhausts for K2 trucks (not the GM/Borla ones).  Its totally built to all of GM specs however, down to the 50 state legality of it.  I think its better quality compared to a K&N as well but again, that is just my opinion.    

15 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Wait, you never unhooked the battery!!!

How you didn't destroy everything is beyond me. 😎

All kidding aside, it's a good write up. The battery thing I still find funny though, why almost all instruction say that is beyond me. I've ripped half an engine apart with the battery still connected before lol.

Interestingly enough, the instructions from GM for the intake don't even mention the negative cable 🤣

Wow the price has increased substantially since I purchased mine in late 2018. 

The filter is washable. I also purchased in AEM dryflow filter for half the cost of GMPP one from Amazon so that I wouldn't have to wait for the filter to completely dry before I can use the truck. When I wash the AEM, I will reinstall the GM one.