Your new truck is going to rot... look what I found.

Hello all. I’m a newbie to the forum and this is a great platform to learn about our trucks. I have a 2020 GMC Sierra with 750 miles and I was installing fog lights last night....came across something that I simply must share. 

I took the entire front wheel well splash guards off and found a future nightmare. The inner front fenders (both sides) have this sound deadening material that was soaked at the bottom. I’m talking soaked. I squeezed it and had a steady stream of water. Unreal. There was also tree debris that collected in there and we have a recipe for rot. 4B1201A2-014A-4F5A-BF59-7D0036A7A2A6.jpeg.00806f0f2665c638ba4b93af6021382b.jpeg

C47424C0-52B2-4799-A116-EE4E2F508BD5.jpeg.daa2e83cb3e78fc6a795d8744b3279d0.jpeg

CF8B7C51-0065-4E6F-8A19-1B465985E85F.jpeg.e1f6d3c9c8b3c102af0f3c8f6ed63e8c.jpeg

I apologize for the first 2 pics being sideways. Not sure how to rotate them. But you see the tree debris in the fender pocket. And the water.... that sound stuff holds so much water! I’m going to use some rubberized coating in the fender to try to combat the problem. And trim that sound stuff so it’s a few inches higher than the fender. Poor design. You all might want to pop your wheel well liners out and clean in there, from time to time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would think that this material is suited for being in adverse conditions.  It's not like it's uncommon for vehicles to have these sound deadening material or whatever they want to call it.  It's not like Merc's, BMW's or Audi's haven't had things like this on the underside of their vehicles before Chevy, Ford or Dodge/RAM.

Only time will tell but I'm sure people will not even really notice in the years it'll take for it to so any signs of issues.

I would think that this material is suited for being in adverse conditions.  It's not like it's uncommon for vehicles to have these sound deadening material or whatever they want to call it.  It's not like Merc's, BMW's or Audi's haven't had things like this on the underside of their vehicles before Chevy, Ford or Dodge/RAM.

Only time will tell but I'm sure people will not even really notice in the years it'll take for it to so any signs of issues.

25 minutes ago, Vigilante375 said:

I don't think he is worried about the material holding water but the fender holding in debris and in turn water along with most of the inner fenders not having much protection on them, i know my 2014 has mainly only primer covering the insides of the fenders.

I looked into mine today and found that it is easily accessible to clean out a spray some fluid film in to protect the fender. All you have to do is open the door. Lol I was spraying the fluid film through the drain hole underneath and that's when I noticed it was open from the back side.

20200629_202724.jpg

• Like 1