Payload question- long vs short bed

I am just about to place an order for a 2021 Sierra 3500 AT4.  I plan to pull a 5th wheel (not yet purchased).  I want to provide myself as much payload as possible in this model so as not to limit my 5th wheel choices any more than necessary. My question is in regards to long vs short bed.  Intuitively I would think the short bed would have a better payload (weight not volume) as it has the same suspension and a smaller (less material/less weight) bed, but the specs say different.  The specs state that the payload of the long bed is a bit better.  Can anyone explain to me from a physics standpoint why this is the case?   I'd love to be told this is not true (which would convince me that the easier to park in a parking lot short bed would be a better choice) but, given the 5th wheel is my main reason for buying the truck,  I will stick to the long bed if the specs are correct.  Thanks in advance for the input.

4 hours ago, doc7string said:

I am just about to place an order for a 2021 Sierra 3500 AT4.  I plan to pull a 5th wheel (not yet purchased).  I want to provide myself as much payload as possible in this model so as not to limit my 5th wheel choices any more than necessary. My question is in regards to long vs short bed.  Intuitively I would think the short bed would have a better payload (weight not volume) as it has the same suspension and a smaller (less material/less weight) bed, but the specs say different.  The specs state that the payload of the long bed is a bit better.  Can anyone explain to me from a physics standpoint why this is the case?   I'd love to be told this is not true (which would convince me that the easier to park in a parking lot short bed would be a better choice) but, given the 5th wheel is my main reason for buying the truck,  I will stick to the long bed if the specs are correct.  Thanks in advance for the input.

Also depends on 2wd/4wd.

These are....................................................................2wd std bed,... 4wd std bed.., 2wd long....... 4wd long lbs(kg)

Payload (with Single Rear Wheels), L5P,   lbs. (kg)    4135 (1876)    4185 (1898)    4013 (1820)    4078 (1850)

So with the diesel, 3500 srw --  4wd std bed has the highest payload.

With the gasser (that weighs a lot less) lowest to highest is (again) less than 100lbs...but 4wd long is highest.

Payload (with Single Rear Wheels), L8T,   lbs. (kg)    4316 (1958)    4365 (1980)    4333 (1965)    4398 (1995) 

If you really want to avoid trailer weight limitation the drw's (which are all long bed) are higher payload.

These are................................................................. 2wd long....... 4wd long

Payload (with Dual Rear Wheels), L5P,   lbs. (kg)   5892 (2673)    5607 (2543)

Payload (with Dual Rear Wheels), L8T,   lbs. (kg)   6894 (3127)    6610 (2998)

But they also have higher 5th wheel trailer ratings.

DRW's are significantly higher by this rating category -- if you are looking at the diesel.

For crew cab, the gassers are all around 16,500 max 5th wheel/gooseneck rating.(long short, srw/drw)

For diesel crew cab 4wd

SRW short - 21,300

SRW long -  21,040 

DRW --------- 31,400 

Clearly, drw with diesel gives a huge increase in the 5th wheel trailer rating.

Edited by redwngr

Be careful with the online numbers. I almost went with a 3500 SRW based on them, but, fortunately, I was able to look at some door tags before I ordered.  Found that one with the options I had checked online had a payload of about 3,600 pounds versus the 4,200 I saw online.

I would go look at some actual tags on the trim and configuration you want before deciding.

redwngr's info is exactly what I've seen online also, but it is correct that different options/trim levels will cause the numbers posted above to vary on each configuration. 

I don't own a 5th wheel, but I would at least consider a long bed if so, if for nothing else than the added stability that a LWB gives when towing or not.  I have owned a long bed crew cab and the ride is better and more stable than the exact same model SWB.  It's tough for many truck buyers today to justify a long bed due to the perceived parking/turning difficulties that come with it over a short bed.  It did not take me long to get used to the difference, but that is just my experience.  Around my area, you will certainly see more short bed HD trucks.

• Like 1

Absolutely diesel.  I would do drw but I do need to be able to park it in a parking garage.  I really appreciate everyones input.  It is such a hard decision.  I guess life is full of compromises and I have to figure out which is easier fir me to live with.  Your input will certainly help me to decide.

2 hours ago, doc7string said:

Absolutely diesel.  I would do drw but I do need to be able to park it in a parking garage.  I really appreciate everyones input.  It is such a hard decision.  I guess life is full of compromises and I have to figure out which is easier fir me to live with.  Your input will certainly help me to decide.

I was very apprehensive about going DRW for my daily driver.  It has actually turned out to be a non-event so far (took delivery on 2/3).  I've had 1 issue with a parking garage, but I was able to find alternate parking. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tomato said:

I was very apprehensive about going DRW for my daily driver.  It has actually turned out to be a non-event so far (took delivery on 2/3).  I've had 1 issue with a parking garage, but I was able to find alternate parking. 

I appreciate this.  Unfortunately, I am a surgeon. and when I have an emergency there isn't always time to search for a parking spot.   If this weren't the case, I  wouldn't care how far I had to search or how far I had to walk. DRW would be the best choice!

A dually is not even as wide as the mirrors that are on all the HDs. 

Parking one is a non-issue vs the same truck SRW. 

If you’re towing, DRW is the way to go. More stable, and tires last a lot longer.  

6K lbs of payload is where you want to be.