I bought a 2020 GMC sierra that has camera jacks at the 7 pin hitch hookup. I have a travel trailer that i have hooked up a rear camera (used to view on a separate back up screen on top of my dash in old F150).

I would like to use this camera instead of forking out $500 for one from GM.  I thought I would be able to plug camera feed from trailer (RCA Plug) into trailer camera jack at rear of truck. My first hurdle was the truck jack is not RCA but a PAL(mainly European) connector. Was able to find a RCA to PAL adapter cable.  When I hook up trailer and plug in camera, screen says no camera detected. I crawled under truck to make sure wires go to truck camera jack - there is a cable to the rear camera jack but not to the interior camera jack next to it. Does anyone know how to get the camera to be detected?

• 8 months later...

It could a proprietary setup.  I know there is DC power on the camera cable to provide power.  You could distroy any camera you connect to it.  I purchased the GM rear camera when I got the truck and had the dealer install it under my watchful eye.  It's mounted on the center line of the trailer and 4 inches in height above the camera height on the tailgate.  It is HD quality and works very well.  Calibration and holding calibration for the transparency view are other issues I am having trouble with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is- April 19, 2021.  I spent the whole day at the GMC dealership.  GPS doesn't work or is intermittent.  Rear trailer camera doesn't work or is intermittent.  I have had this problem for some time since it was new- July 2020.  The technician said there was an GPS error code and replaced the GPS antenna.  It worked great when I left the shop- but failed before I got home.   I called the service rep- He said push ON-STAR.  I did a welcome call- bingo- GPS started working.  Sample of 1 time.  We'll see how well this works.

At the same time I noticed the trailer brake lights after locking the truck with the FOB.  This is the theft deterrent mode.  The lights were flickering... I unlocked the truck and re-locked with the door lock.  The lights behaved normally with a single flash every 30 seconds or so.

The techician said there was an error code for the rear camera.  They will order another one. I'm not optimistic at all.  The whole Infotainment system is very complex with complex firmware.  Seems like there is not sufficant diagnostic error catching codes to trouble shoot problems.

My quess is tomorrow I will check out the camera and it will work.  If it does, I still lose the calibration.  That means I will need to remove the rear trailer tire to re-calibrate.  YES- It doesn't calibrate with the rear tire mounted.

These problems need to be elevated to higher hardware, software and firmware engineers. How can they fix these things if they are not in the middle of the trouble shooting battle ????