Sierra 3500 4 Pin Trailer Plug

Anyone with a Sierra 3500 knows of a mod to add a permanent 4 pin plug on the truck.  I'm currently using a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter for my trailer and I keep losing it so I had to buy it 3 times already. I need a permanent solution so I don't need the adapter.

26 minutes ago, CalN said:

Anyone with a Sierra 3500 knows of a mod to add a permanent 4 pin plug on the truck.  I'm currently using a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter for my trailer and I keep losing it so I had to buy it 3 times already. I need a permanent solution so I don't need the adapter.

Just a thought, maybe convert the trailer to a 7 pin? I converted my boat trailer to a 7 pin so I didn’t have that problem. My old truck had both but 7 pin seems more common so that’s what I did to future proof. 

• Like 1

7e780212014a34a340e321f4cdd3e8f6.jpg

On my small utility trailer that I share with my brother I opened up the 7 pin connector and spliced in a short 4 pin pigtail. You need to keep the unused connector covered when the other one is plugged in...

As you can see from the picture he broke the 7 pin the last time he used the trailer and I will need to put a new one on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Another option we use at work because everyone looses adapters. We wire in a separate female plug on the trailer with the 4 pin coming out of it as a male plug.  this way you have to have the 7 pin male plugged in and it is protected from the elements. Little extra work but somehow that is a system they haven't broke. Had some operator error when they forget to plug the other one in but that didn't surprise us??

• 5 weeks later...