GM OEM Air Intake Upgrade

Anybody have this in their truck? I am looking to get a cold air intake and there are just so many. Will all intake systems still keep my warranty intact? does anyone have any suggestions? help!

Also after getting a CAI installed, does it need to be tuned? what else needs to be done 

Edited by bryceadams22

I have both GM performance air intake system and cat-back performance exhaust. They were installed during vehicle prep by the dealer and included in the factory warranty. A worthwhile upgrade in my opinion. :)

GM intake does not void the warranty as it is a GM product.  GM CAI does have a flash/tune.  Not sure what it does.

Other brands could void warranty if dealership and/or GM can prove that the aftermarket CAI caused your problem.

I bought both the both the performance CAI and exhaust about a month ago on GM accessories.

There is up to a 20% discount and, free shipping to the dealer, they installed both for about $180.00 -including the required CAI factory flash -I was all in for about $2,200.00.

The combination adds about 15 HP. IMO the exhaust sound much better, unless you like it real loud.

The CAI cleans up under the hood nice!

The bonus is that it can't impact the warranty and the dealer adds it to the listed "dealer installed" options for your VIN number -so you'd get some option credit on resale.      

GMC PerformanceCAI2.jpg

GMC PerformanceCAI.jpg

I am trying to find an upgraded intake tube. One that doesnt have all the resonator chambers and will go right onto the stock intake box and fit the stock passanger side ccv tube.

If anyone has info I would sure appreciate a link.

Thanks,

Has anyone heard of having trans issues after installing a CAI? I have a 2014 Sierra with the 6.2 and have had a couple mechanics say they heard of people having issues after the CAI install due to the mass air flow sensor controlling line pressure for the trans... Anyone experienced or heard of this?

On 7/29/2020 at 12:09 AM, bryceadams22 said:

Anybody have this in their truck? I am looking to get a cold air intake and there are just so many. Will all intake systems still keep my warranty intact? does anyone have any suggestions? help!

Also after getting a CAI installed, does it need to be tuned? what else needs to be done 

When i built my truck online, i picked the optional CAI and performance cat back exhaust. The option codes are on my build sheet are:  5W7 - PERFORMANCE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM (LPO-DEALER INSTALLED) and WBC - CAT-BACK PERFORMANCE EXHAUST (LPO-DEALER INSTALLED)  and another line shows: PDM - PERFORMANCE UPGRADE PACKAGE * CAT-BACK PERFORMANCE EXHAUST SYSTEM * PERFORMANCE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM (LPO-DEALER INSTALLED) 

As it says, the dealer installs it and is supposed to calibrate the ECM. Turns out that the dealer i purchased from (out of town) forgot to re-flash the computer,. After a few months of driving, I was getting check engine lights and it was idling rough. Took it to a local dealer who said I needed a new O2 sensor according to the code. They changed one then got the engine light again. They finally figured it out by contacting GM Corporate who verified that the dealer i purchased from forgot to do it. Local dealer did the ECM calibration and also adjusted the  fuel banks. The first pic is the service order when they thought it was just the O2 sensor. The second pic was the fix. My suggestion is to order and have it installed at the dealer and they can do the re-flash and you will not have to worry about having your warranty possibly voided. 

O2.jpg

CAI Fix.jpg

Edited by Denny NWO

On 7/29/2020 at 12:09 AM, bryceadams22 said:

I have an OEM one off a brand new 2020- used for about 400

miles. Asking 350- 650 new!

• 1 year later...

Trying to get a OEM cold air intake for my 2021 5.3L Sierra 1500.  They can't pull anything up by my VIN yet - got the truck in April and it does not have the engine cylinder shutoff chip, which I am ok with. Wish I could find a dealer that knows if the 2020 cold air intake is identical to 2021. The 2019 and the 2020 are different part numbers even though I think they are the same engines. So scared to buy it as it is a special order $ up front, even when they install it and do the required change in tune.