Keep or trade

I have a 2015 GMC Duramax early model 15 built in 04 14 currently getting codes that other people have gotten in relation to their cp4 pump going out. I did buy the truck new in 2015 and I currently have 180xxxkms. It's not tuned or deleted yet but I was planning on doing it. Truck will be paid for next summer but in my area there are some L5P's that are relatively cheap. Just unsure if I should just do a CP3 conversion for just trade the truck in on an L5P. Thoughts and opinions?

the tech and enviromental compliance equipment gets worse with every newer gen truck they come out with.  newer models  are becoming harder to crack into the ecm and trans puters. i'de stick to the old stuff 2000-2013 years

dropping $6000 into an old truck is the equivalent to the sales tax on a new truck,  registration is also cheaper

Edited by flyingfool

If you trade in or sell your truck, its worth less if it needs a new CP4 than if it had a good pump, so keep that in mind too.  Figure the price of what it would take to fix it less, so 5-6 thousand $$$.  A dealer will buy it cheap from you and send it to auction where it will sell cheap.  

Thanks for the input everyone, I didn't clarify but it wouldn't be a 2020 model, there are some 18 and 19's that are only 20-25k more than my truck and basically new with less than 30xxxkms on them. The company I work for has 25 2019 L5P's and they've all been pretty trouble free, especially in comparison to the Rams they had before. Thankfully mine is still running right now, and not derating power anymore so I don't have to make a decision yet but time will tell

CP4 failure isn't a derate thing.

It's walking vs riding. 

How's the rest of the truck?

If similarly equipped vehicles, it sometimes makes sense to calculate the $/mile (km) to upgrade. 

$25,000 / (180, 000 - 30, 000)km = $0.16/km  

Converting $ and distance to US

150,000km approx 93,000 miles

$25k Cdn approx $18,500 US

18,500/93000 = approx US$0.20/mile US equivalent

In Ontario, annual registration is the same $ for new or used.