i was wondering what people are seeing after recall? When go oil change other day, dealer indicated there was a recall for def fluid. I told him I did not have time to do it & would do next time. Thought I read guys were using more, not less after recall?? I had mine in early on and whatever they did help the def usage towing (or else just got better as unit broke in)??

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 9:16 PM, BJ Niceguy said:

i was wondering what people are seeing after recall? When go oil change other day, dealer indicated there was a recall for def fluid. I told him I did not have time to do it & would do next time. Thought I read guys were using more, not less after recall?? I had mine in early on and whatever they did help the def usage towing (or else just got better as unit broke in)??

I have the same question...I'm thinking about getting my truck in to be checked because according to my DEF gauge I have a full DEF tank since new with about 3K with a little towing. Seems like everyone uses a lot more DEF after the update?

keep in mind the gauge is crap. it will vary a ton, so don't get excited if next time out it drops a couple bars out of the blue lol. i ended up with an OBDlink unit that plugs into data port. It seems to be accurate, so GM realy knows how much is there, the gauge they supplied just isn't consistent. Even with OBD unit as tank gets lower, teh def slopes around and gauge varies 5% plus. At least with it I know when I can put in 2.5 gallons and get it all in. Only really a big deal when towing as normal driving it does not use that much.

Also i have noticed on mine just a little difference in mileage / rpm makes a big difference in amount used even when not towing.

Mine has been averaging about 1 bar per 500 miles.  On my last trip from Alabama back to Colorado, I saw it do the two bar sudden drop.  If the gauge reads 1/2 or less, it will take a full 2.5 gal jug.  I was waiting and waiting for it to drop, then boom not one but two bars. 

4 hours ago, swervin36 said:

Mine has been averaging about 1 bar per 500 miles.  On my last trip from Alabama back to Colorado, I saw it do the two bar sudden drop.  If the gauge reads 1/2 or less, it will take a full 2.5 gal jug.  I was waiting and waiting for it to drop, then boom not one but two bars. 

That seems excessive.  I have 4500 miles and I have one bar below half on the gauge and I have had the recall done.  Unless you are doing a lot of towing