No crank, one click 2014 Silverado

Good morning , two days ago when I was leaving work to start my truck. I got this whine or squeaking sound when I turned the key over to start my truck it just whines until I turned it off, tried it again a few seconds later the same thing, I turned it off again, tried to crank it once again and it did crank this time. I’ve never heard this noise before so I did some research and all I kept getting was transmission whining information. This was not a transmission whine. I did more research and found a video. I can post it down later in the comments but I’m the video this guy took his starter to autozone to get tested and as they were testing it. It made the exactly same whine or squeak or whistle as my truck had made. So now I know that weird sound is my starter. Did some more research. That sound is the starter not engaging with the flywheel or pinwheel (plz correct me if I’m wrong) so yesterday morning it cranked up fine, I sat in my truck for maybe 5 mins like every morning and headed to the gas station to get my cup of coffee, turned off my truck , go get my coffee, tried to fire my truck up and it wouldn’t start, no squeak no whistle or no cry from what I know now to be my starter. I wiggle a few cables on my battery, good connections, no visible corrosion, I even had someone say, that battery looks pretty new??‍♂️. I’ve had the truck for almost 2 years now , never changed the battery . Year is 2014 so yeah I called my sister for a jump start and it took five minutes and I was back running. It was pretty early like 7 am on a Sunday Autozone nor Walmart tire center was open so I went back home and tried to wait it out until one of them opened , I went to start my truck and it crank but it seemed pretty weak, i did that maybe 6 times and I said F it let me go to work. I went to work, lunch break I got a small whistle from the start but it cranked went to the store and back...after work I had the same thing started cried one the first turn but it did crank the second turn with no cry from the starter. Made it home did more research and went to bed, this morning I went out to go to work and no crank few clicks , I tried maybe 4 times then I took a video.

i will post the YouTube video with time stamp as well as my video I recorded this morning after trying to crank it. Can someone point me in the right direction.

PS Happy Holidays 

50 minutes ago, Don1500 said:

Huh?

I believe stevejones was saying the same thing that came to my mind and that is to get your battery checked. Nothing you said would discourage me from first suspecting a poor battery.   Welcome to this forum.  You will find a lot of good advice here especially if you keep your posts short and to the point.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the hospitality, this is my first truck and I’m trying to learn everything I can about it. Sorry for the long post. I didn’t wanna leave out any details. So I should get my battery tested ? The starter whistling isn’t a problem?

Edited by Don1500
Spelling

13 minutes ago, stevejones said:

No need for apologies.

Assuming the battery is original, go get a new one.  6 years out of a battery is a good life.  Even if it's not the source, you'll likely be needing one in the not-so-distant future.

And don't skimp on the replacement.

Thanks will do, gonna go home and remove it and take it to the nearest autozone. Hopefully it has enough juice for them to test it 

Hey I’m back, I bought a battery got the platinum one , the test crank it cranked up fine , I let it run for a couple of minutes and turn it off to see would it crank back up, so I turned it off and tried to crank it and i got the starter spinning sound. Tried it a few more times and nothing no crank still, I popped the hood just to give it a look for maybe 30 secs went back in my truck to try once again before I came in for the night and it cranked. So I’ll just try in the AM to see if It will crank. I also have a video 

51 minutes ago, Don1500 said:

Ok I will get a starter tomorrow, thanks again 

51 minutes ago, Don1500 said:

Ok I will get a starter tomorrow, thanks again 

Yes, you have 2014 it's most likely the starter.  You will not have problem after the newer designed one when they changed the motor mounts time frame?  I can't remember....my god!  They are on p/n 4 or 5 on the vacuum pump...don't worry you will go down that road too!

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Yes, you have 2014 it's most likely the starter.  You will not have problem after the newer designed one when they changed the motor mounts time frame?  I can't remember....my god!  They are on p/n 4 or 5 on the vacuum pump...don't worry you will go down that road too!

2 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

I have no idea what p/n 4 or 5 means?