6.2 with Kooks help

Hi folks,

I know exhaust recommendations have been beaten to death here but I have a bit of a more specific ask and I'm wondering if anyone has run across the same thing. 

I've got a Sierra with the 6.2L running kooks 1 3/4 long tubes and the catless y-pipe. It's been custom tuned so no AFM. I also installed the MBRP 3.5" XP series "catback" hoping to hit a sweet spot between stock and a bit of rumble. My problem is the MBRP is a bit louder than I was expecting and to not make a scene at the office, I need something quieter. My next thought is to go to the GM performance exhaust (basically a Borla Touring) but i can't find any info on how loud that system would be or if anyone out there has run this kind of combination. The idea is to have more of a sleeper setup and the power (and noise) is only there when i drop the hammer. Any insight or recommendations?

Put another resonator into the exhaust before the muffler, it will help tone it down.

Why spend hundreds or another thousand dollar on an exhaust with a resonator for $100 can help.

Edited by CamGTP

Thanks for the input so far. Looks like both of you are pointing to adding a muffler/resonator upstream of the current MBRP muffler. 

CamGTP, at this point I can take off the MBRP, sell it and move on to another exhaust, if I modify it I lose that opportunity. My modification budget has plenty of room to buy another exhaust system, especially if I can make back some of the money on the first one. Just want a different sound. I do still have the stock resonator, do you think that would work as you suggested? Or is there a resonator brand/type you had in mind?

I’m running TSP headers with an oval Borla XR1 (40943) into a Borla Atak crate muffler(400844). Not cheap by any means but of all the set ups I’ve ran with these headers, this is by far my favorite. I ran several muffler/resonator combos and would like them for a little while but then it would seem too loud or there would be a certain rpm that would drive me crazy after a while.

This has a nice little bark on cold starts but nothing like a Corsa. It will get loud if roll into it but otherwise very mild with just normal driving and highway cruising. It has the perfect amount of tone, rumble, and rasp that I’m after. No drone but you can still hear the exhaust at highway speed.

If you’re looking to replace the entire system and have the budget for it, I would look at either a Borla S-type or touring system. Stainless Works also has some really nice set ups with a couple of different sound options to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, langston1726 said:

I’m running TSP headers with an oval Borla XR1 (40943) into a Borla Atak crate muffler(400844). Not cheap by any means but of all the set ups I’ve ran with these headers, this is by far my favorite. I ran several muffler/resonator combos and would like them for a little while but then it would seem too loud or there would be a certain rpm that would drive me crazy after a while.

This has a nice little bark on cold starts but nothing like a Corsa. It will get loud if roll into it but otherwise very mild with just normal driving and highway cruising. It has the perfect amount of tone, rumble, and rasp that I’m after. No drone but you can still hear the exhaust at highway speed.

Thanks for the input here. I looked up these mufflers and they are for 3", I'm running all 3.5" due to the 6.2. I ordered the factory GM Performance Borla exhaust which is basically a side exit touring. I'm hoping that calms it down a bit. If not I will look to add an upstream resonator or muffler.

Thanks for the input here. I looked up these mufflers and they are for 3", I'm running all 3.5" due to the 6.2. I ordered the factory GM Performance Borla exhaust which is basically a side exit touring. I'm hoping that calms it down a bit. If not I will look to add an upstream resonator or muffler.

I think that will be a great option. If you don’t mind, post some sound clips once you get it installed.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:33 AM, Jarred Hewitt said:

FWIW - I've got this exhaust on my 6.2L and love it. Perfect balance of rumble without being obnoxious.

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so to update my story. I ended up buying the GM factory performance exhaust. (Same thing as the Borla touring but Borla will not sell you a side exit touring. I have no idea why this is their policy). It sounds amazing. I will need to figure out how to upload the before and after videos here but with the headers and catless, the Borla tames the sound down when you aren't getting into the power. Highway driving is almost at stock level noises. Around town you hear the rumbling, no drone at any speed or gear. If you are going to go headers and catless but still need to pull into an office parking lot, I would recommend this setup. The truck was tuned with these modifications as well so it's really come alive.  

• Like 1