2017 with engine work needing paint work

2017 Silverado with 6.2 engine. Truck has 46xxx miles and just got back from having both banks of AFM lifters replaced along with fixing a bent push rod and broken cylinder valve spring - all covered under warranty. 

Just noticed some paint chips on the front fender and both front doors (must have gone though some construction work). Chips are small but down to the bare metal. I'm in Minnesota so I'm mainly concerned about rust when the snow and salt start flying. After getting several quotes, best I'm looking at to have the paint fixed by a body shop is ~$400-500 per panel (about ~$1500 total). 

$1500 to protect against rust and new tires probably due in the spring, I'm at a point where I'm beginning to question putting money into an engine with 46000 miles that has already had major engine work done. Before the paint, I figured I'd just ride it out to just before the powertrain warranty is out and see how it's been going to determine whether I wanted to hold onto. 

Any tips for rust-proofing the scratches and chips in a way that bridges the gap between $15 paint pen that looks like I applied white out vs full-on body work for 1.5 grand?

Thoughts, guidance, or recommendations appreciated. 

If you're worried about the chips impacting resale value I wouldn't worry. My 2017 Siren Red Silverado had a chip in almost every panel... especially the doors, rockers, and leading edges... I sold it for almost as much as I paid new 3 years ago this summer and it didn't even come up in conversation, crappy paint it par for the course on new trucks apparently. I couldn't stand it but no one else even noticed. Time to fix up my 2006 Sierra and keep adding to the 284k miles on it.

15 hours ago, cheyenne383 said:

If you're worried about the chips impacting resale value I wouldn't worry. My 2017 Siren Red Silverado had a chip in almost every panel... especially the doors, rockers, and leading edges... I sold it for almost as much as I paid new 3 years ago this summer and it didn't even come up in conversation, crappy paint it par for the course on new trucks apparently. I couldn't stand it but no one else even noticed. Time to fix up my 2006 Sierra and keep adding to the 284k miles on it.

My main concern is avoiding rust since winter and snow is almost here. I ordered the Dr Color Chip recommended above. Will report back on how well it works. 

14 hours ago, jvbronco said:

My main concern is avoiding rust since winter and snow is almost here. I ordered the Dr Color Chip recommended above. Will report back on how well it works. 

Mine seemed to be clear/color coat only, once the rock chips showed up it looked like primer/sealer underneath. Three Alaskan winters and I never saw any rust starting... not to say it wouldn't ever get there but I unloaded the truck before I had to worry too much. Good luck with the fix, hope it does well... When I drove a 2003 SIlverado from 2010-2012 I never even thought about paint chipping, rust, or any of that... now at 3 years old trucks look terrible.

8 hours ago, cheyenne383 said:

Mine seemed to be clear/color coat only, once the rock chips showed up it looked like primer/sealer underneath. Three Alaskan winters and I never saw any rust starting... not to say it wouldn't ever get there but I unloaded the truck before I had to worry too much. Good luck with the fix, hope it does well... When I drove a 2003 SIlverado from 2010-2012 I never even thought about paint chipping, rust, or any of that... now at 3 years old trucks look terrible.

Hoping for no rust issues. We had a Kia Soul that developed rust after a winter with a small ding down to the bare metal so now I assume the truck will do the same. It arrives tomorrow and I plan to install asap weather permitting. 

Honestly, this is my first issue with shipping (I've had a 2011 1500, 2014 1500, 2016 3500, and the 2017 1500). It does look like I hit a patch of something to cause these chips. 

Got the paint touched up. used dr color chip and overall I'm satisfied. Paint wasn't 100% match (had the same issue paint-matching my leer topper - maybe the paint on the truck is a bit off?). I also could not get the paint to be flush. The issue I had was that all of my chips are on vertical panels and the paint just bled out of the hole before it had a chance to set. Was like pouring milk onto the white paint at some points. I tried about a dozen times over the course of a couple of days, using a combination of applying a second coat per instructions vs completely removing and starting over (including proper prep in -between). I also used the dropper, glove method, brushes, and squeegee tools. The front fender (next to headlight) seemed to finish the best compared to the doors. 

To be fair, it's not THAT noticeable. I fully expected NOT to have a 100% match with color or sheen, but the remaining divots drive me nuts. 

Ultimately, I was able to cover the bare metal and create a finish that only I'll probably notice. I also expect this to achieve corrosion resistance (which was my primary goal). It was also nearly $1400 cheaper than taking it in to a shop. So, dr color chip was a win for me, given the cost and effort. 

I attached an image that shows a couple of the repairs (fender + lower-door mark & door upper-door mark). The fender, especially, looks MUCH better in the photo than in person.

paint touch up.jpg

paint touch up2.jpg