Airbags for Towing

Timbrens only serve to limit axle travel and do not help manage the payload. Sumo Springs have a 2-year warranty which is not encouraging. Air bags are great if you are towing a 5th wheel trailer and need to adjust the exact height of the bed.

For underperforming factory leaf springs the simple solution and also the most effective is to add a set of SuperSprings to the rear leaf packs for the truck. It took me less than an hour to add a set to my truck and the truck tires were on the ground the entire time. The SuperSprings will outlast the truck and never need to be adjusted or repaired or replaced.

So here’s the dilemma, here trailer is level, truck is unloaded. Once the trailer is down, I’m sagging about 2.5” and the trailer isn’t level which can cause other issues. Hitch is a 1” rise and i know I can get a higher rise, but then I can’t open my tailgate (this barely clears as it is). 

120752C2-ADA4-467B-B31E-EC9D273ADD9E.jpeg

15 minutes ago, brockhals said:

So here’s the dilemma, here trailer is level, truck is unloaded. Once the trailer is down, I’m sagging about 2.5” and the trailer isn’t level which can cause other issues. Hitch is a 1” rise and i know I can get a higher rise, but then I can’t open my tailgate (this barely clears as it is). 

120752C2-ADA4-467B-B31E-EC9D273ADD9E.jpeg

Adding air bags will help here. If you prefer to install a compressor that can inflate the bags from the cab, drive into this position and air up the bags, lower the trailer, and go.

Edited by gearheadesw

• 2 weeks later...

So I installed the Sumo Springs, and experienced as noted prior, that mostly fine ride but on a harsh bump you immediately know they're there.  So I removed them and installed the Firestone airbags with the compressor setup, and same result with the min 5 psi in them!  This really surprised me as I thought I wouldn't know they were there when aired down!!  There is a bump coming in and out of my neighborhood so it's not like it will be occasional or avoidable...UGH, now what?  

4 hours ago, brockhals said:

So I installed the Sumo Springs, and experienced as noted prior, that mostly fine ride but on a harsh bump you immediately know they're there.  So I removed them and installed the Firestone airbags with the compressor setup, and same result with the min 5 psi in them!  This really surprised me as I thought I wouldn't know they were there when aired down!!  There is a bump coming in and out of my neighborhood so it's not like it will be occasional or avoidable...UGH, now what?  

Make sure that none of the new hardware is what is now bottoming out. I had to cut down the u-bolts on a Firestone kit on a 2013 F150 because they would bottom out on the frame. The Firestone airbags should literally be un-noticeable when at 3-5 psi.

Make sure that none of the new hardware is what is now bottoming out. I had to cut down the u-bolts on a Firestone kit on a 2013 F150 because they would bottom out on the frame. The Firestone airbags should literally be un-noticeable when at 3-5 psi.

They’re noticeable if you’re paying attention and one of the reasons why I haven’t put them on my truck after having them on the last 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19 hours ago, B-real said:

No hardware bottoming out here.  These mount where the bump stop is and then, separately, to the axle.  I would have thought they'd be unnoticeable as well, but not the case unfortunately. 

No hardware bottoming out here.  These mount where the bump stop is and then, separately, to the axle.  I would have thought they'd be unnoticeable as well, but not the case unfortunately. 

When I had mine one of my ideas was to T off the air bag lines to a valve that I could leave open. I never did it but I kinda feel like that might help ride comfort. Try it!

If the factory leaf springs cannot support the load then add a set of SuperSprings to increase their load capacity. I put a double leaf set on my 2500HD and increased the payload from the factory leaf springs 2800 lbs to over 4,000 lbs. With a 4,000 lb camper or 3,000 lbs of concrete sacks in the bed the truck was perfectly level. It cost me $445 for the springs with shipping and it took less than an hour to put them on the truck.

With the Supersprings there is nothing to fail and nothing to adjust - ever. No load and the factory springs support the bed. Add a load and the SuperSprings help carry the load.

The only situation where air bags might be worth the hastle and reliability concerns would be if pulling a 5th wheel trailer and needing an exact bed height.

I don’t mean to sound sarcastic but I don’t understand what the problem is. Take your hitch out when not using it. I do so that it doesn't get stolen anyway.  It is one quick release pin. Buy one that is taller so your trailer sits level.  Or open your tailgate without putting the little part down too. A normal tailgate sits flat with the bumper and you are nowhere near that. 
Edit: sorry I see now that you mean the tailgate almost hits when the trailer is hooked up to the hitch. Airbags are your best bet in my opinion. Had them on my last two trucks. 

Edited by Dirtbiker

I don’t mean to sound sarcastic but I don’t understand what the problem is. Take your hitch out when not using it. I do so that it doesn't get stolen anyway.  It is one quick release pin. Buy one that is taller so your trailer sits level.  Or open your tailgate without putting the little part down too. A normal tailgate sits flat with the bumper and you are nowhere near that. 

So unhitch every time you need to drop the tailgate to reach in for something? What a time saver!

Airlift makes an auto adjust kit. I have it on my old truck. It works great. I am going to get it for my new truck. Check airlifts site for part number on air bags if you have a Trail Boss or AT4. It's a different kit but most resellers like Amazon get it wrong. But the kit has a magnetic switch that keeps the truck at the same height all the time. This load and the truck was still at the same height. And that's maple so it's heavy. My new 1500 can't do that so I kept my old one. It's a 2500HD Duramax and is lowered 3 inches so without the air bags it would hit the bumpers on every bump. But it rides good with them.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

5cdcf053a334593b7d44ba5e5ac0916f.jpg