New Ambient Air Temp Sensor Didn't Fix Issue

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 

I just changed my Ambient Air Temperature Sensor 6 months ago and have still had issues ever since. 

The new sensor did not fix my issues.

My digital dash reading shows the outside temperature being stuck on 31° or 37° quite often and doesn't let me use the A/C.

Restarting the vehicle multiple times does nothing. Only solution is to wait a day or 2  and it will be back to normal.

Any ideas for what else could be causing this issue since the new sensor did not fix it?

Try pressing the AC and Recirc buttons at the same time.  That has been the behind-the-scenes 'instant update' fix on the outside temp sensors for GM vehicles for many years now.  

It seems the General has the computer programmed to always let the sensor temp go down, but never to go up unless a list of factors are met (such as driving at highway speeds) to prevent underhood heat from causing an erroneous reading (go figure).  

On our 09 Silverado, a lot of the time, especially this time of year, the temp reading will get stuck at a cold morning temp (say like 32F) and then if it gets 60 in the afternoon, if I am just driving short trips around town, it will not let the Auto HVAC work correctly until I do one of those 'instant resets'. 

4 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Try pressing the AC and Recirc buttons at the same time.  That has been the behind-the-scenes 'instant update' fix on the outside temp sensors for GM vehicles for many years now.  

It seems the General has the computer programmed to always let the sensor temp go down, but never to go up unless a list of factors are met (such as driving at highway speeds) to prevent underhood heat from causing an erroneous reading (go figure).  

On our 09 Silverado, a lot of the time, especially this time of year, the temp reading will get stuck at a cold morning temp (say like 32F) and then if it gets 60 in the afternoon, if I am just driving short trips around town, it will not let the Auto HVAC work correctly until I do one of those 'instant resets'. 

thank you for this

• Like 1