Fuel filter change with push-button start

One thing I didn’t realize until I changed mine on this new setup - there’s no bleeder and it may take a few starts/running it a bit to get to the point it starts immediately like normal. First change I was wondering if I did something wrong cause it cranked for a bit before starting, but it went away after the first drive. Just FYI if you notice the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should prime by when start button is pushed, but foot not on brake. 

L5P supplement says let it prime (run the lift pump) for something like 30 seconds -- then try to start. 

Edited by redwngr

• 2 weeks later...

You can push the Start engine button on the dash until you hear a chime and the light turns green on the button.  This will engage the fuel pump and prime the fuel housing.  I would do this about 3x before trying to start the truck after a fuel filter change.  Just remember to not press the brake otherwise it will attempt to start the truck.

Happy new Year !

A little off topic but has anyone attempted to drain fuel from the fuel filter housing ?

I did a little research and got the torx bit and a inch pound torque wrench 

I took out the plug and nothing came out.

Does anyone have any experience in this ??

I was going  to just drop the filter and replace it r but I only have 12K on it 

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Priming is covered in the diesel supplement.

Priming the Fuel System

There is an electric priming pump that will bring fuel to the engine and eliminate air in the fuel lines.

To prime the engine:

1. Correct any condition that caused the loss of prime.

2. Turn the ignition on for 30 seconds. (for pb start do not put foot on brake, just push button)

Do not start the engine.

The fuel pump will start priming.

3. Turn the ignition off, then back on, and crank the engine for 15 seconds.

4. If the engine does not start, repeat
Steps 2 and 3 until the engine starts.
If the engine does not start after repeating Steps 2 and 3 three times, turn the ignition off for 60 seconds.

5. Repeat the above steps until the engine starts.

6. If the engine starts, but does not run smoothly, increase the engine speed slightly.

7. If the engine starts and runs but stalls again, turn the ignition off for 60 seconds.

8. When the engine starts, let it idle for a few minutes and check the filter for any leaks.