Banks iDash Causing CEL?

I am having issues with intermittent CEL's with codes U0100 and P0700.  CEL comes on and stays for about 5-6 key cycles and then shuts off.  No driving issues, etc.  Dealer is researching, and I will leave the truck with them at some point.

I found a GM TSB talking about how aftermarket devices plugged in to the ODBII could be the cause - even passive devices like the iDash.  However, I kept my iDash unplugged for a while, and the CEL came back.

Curious if anyone else with the iDash is having this issue?  Or anyone else at all for that matter.

Thanks.

17 hours ago, Tomato said:

I am having issues with intermittent CEL's with codes U0100 and P0700.  CEL comes on and stays for about 5-6 key cycles and then shuts off.  No driving issues, etc.  Dealer is researching, and I will leave the truck with them at some point.

I found a GM TSB talking about how aftermarket devices plugged in to the ODBII could be the cause - even passive devices like the iDash.  However, I kept my iDash unplugged for a while, and the CEL came back.

Curious if anyone else with the iDash is having this issue?  Or anyone else at all for that matter.

Thanks.

If you are just running an iDash (no Derringer) then I doubt its an iDash issue. Especially if they came back when you had it removed. You can try to reach out to Banks directly and ask if they've seen it anywhere else, or their tech support is very active on Facebook in the user groups. 

• Thanks 1

I haven’t had a CEL with my iDash.

I have noticed that my monthly OnStar report now says communication has been blocked by an after market device plugged in the OBD2 port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, kf9yr said:

I haven’t had a CEL with my iDash.

I have noticed that my monthly OnStar report now says communication has been blocked by an after market device plugged in the OBD2 port.

That is actually normal, per Banks.

• 1 month later...

I had a CEL and truck popped a P0700 code a few days ago.

i have 5400 miles on my 2020 2500 Sierra duramax. Have had an IDASH on it since about 1k miles.

i drove straight to the dealer and had them check it. They reset it and told me the idash causes a communication interference between the ECM and the TCM which causes the P0700 code.

they said if it happens again I should remove the idash. I asked why hasn’t it been a problem for the last 4,000 miles. The service manager said they have seen it on trucks with over 20,000 miles with an idash and then it just happens.

if it happens again I will call Banks and have a WTF conversation, but if its just this one time no harm no foul.

even with the CEL on, the truck ran and shifted fine. I didn’t go over 60mph, so I am not sure if it dropped into any limp mode or anything.

I suppose this is a problem to watch for but I haven't had an issue with the iDash on my truck. I'm coming up on one year of ownership on March 2nd. and I've had the iDash since the truck had 500 miles on it.  I have 6,500 miles on it so far and I'd hate to be without the iDash.

I emailed Banks a while back, and they were no help. I have not had a CEL in several weeks now, and I am beginning to wonder if it has something to do with battery voltage and may or may not be iDash related. I seem to get the CEL after I let the truck sit for 3+ days.  Also, every so often, my iDash does not power up on start, and I have to press one of its buttons to get it going.  I will have to see if I get the CEL shortly after one of these episodes.

Just theories and observations, but I do think it is all related.

I haven’t sent a CEL using an iDash on my 2020 Duramax with around 25,000 miles.

I did get a notice on the infotainment screen that a software upgrade was available. I selected Yes and the update failed.

I tried the update 3 different days and it failed each time.

This morning I unplugged the iDash before updating and it installed the update without an error.

I plugged the iDash back in and both the iDash and the truck have been working fine.

Maybe the truck checks if something is plugged in the OBDII port before updating?

14 hours ago, kf9yr said:

I haven’t sent a CEL using an iDash on my 2020 Duramax with around 25,000 miles.

I did get a notice on the infotainment screen that a software upgrade was available. I selected Yes and the update failed.

I tried the update 3 different days and it failed each time.

This morning I unplugged the iDash before updating and it installed the update without an error.

I plugged the iDash back in and both the iDash and the truck have been working fine.

Maybe the truck checks if something is plugged in the OBDII port before updating?

I had to try to install the update twice. It failed the first time at the house via wifi, but worked when we went out to dinner via on-star. iDash plugged in both attempts. 

I can address one comment above about iDash not starting on every startup.  I had this happen a couple of times and found that I was taking my foot off of the brake too soon when starting the truck.  iDash never fails If I start the truck and keep my foot on the brake pedal until I see the iDash lightup.  Taking my foot off too soon seems to have been the problem.

For the CEL problem, I'd put a battery tender on the battery and see if that fixes that issue.  Low batteries on modern cars can cause many mysterious issues.  I see similar low battery issues on the Ford and Corvette forums.  It's worth a try.

There is also a way to adjust the sensitive to start up voltage in the iDash. I have mine set to max but occasionally I still need to manually wake it up. Never correlated it to the brake pedal but its possible. 

Edited by sdelam

11.10.1 Sensitivity Level

The iDash 1.8's automatic wakeup uses battery voltage drop when cranking the vehicle.

The wake-up sensitivity level allows you to adjust the iDash 1.8's sensitivity to the voltage drop.

Some vehicles have greater voltage drops than others and would need to set the sensitivity to the low setting. If the gauge is interfering with OnStar or other similar services, decrease the sensitivity one level lower.

To adjust the wake-up sensitivity level:

1. Select "Settings" from the main "MENU."

2. Select "Wake-up Sensitivity Level."

3. Select the desired sensitivity level ("Sensitivity Level: Low", "...Medium", "...High").

If unsure, set to "Sensitivity Level: Low" and then:

A. Turn off your vehicle and wait for the iDash to go to Sleep Mode.

B. Restart your vehicle and the iDash should start within 10 seconds after startup.

C. If it does not automatically wake-up, press any button to wake.

Increase sensitivity level by one and repeat the process.

11.10.2 Start/Stop For vehicles with engine start/stop functionality:

When enabled, the iDash 1.8 will not shut off when RPM drops below 600 rpm.

Instead, the vehicle will check for vehicle communication to the ECU to determine if the vehicle is shut off.

It will also take longer for the iDash 1.8 to go into sleep mode.

To enable or disable "StartStop":

1. Select "Settings" from the main "MENU."

2. Select "Wake-up Sensitivity Level."

3. Select "Start-Stop:" to "Enable" or "Disable" this feature.

4. Return to the Gauge Screen when finished.

• Thanks 1