Lower Radiator Hose Install

Happy New Year all,

I am attempting to replace the lower radiator hose on a 2003 Silverado 2500 HD with an 8.1 L engine. I have tried both a Gates and a Delco hose but neither one will go on to the lower radiator outlet far enough to allow the horse shoe clip to engage. Although the hose fittings visually look he same there is something with the inside dimensions, either diameter or depth that isn`t correct. I am waiting on a replacement from my local dealer to see if that will fit. If not I`m prepared to make my own hose using the OEM fitting that I removed and the hoses that I will take off from the new Gates replacement I purchased and some old school clamps. I don`t like the idea of micky mousing something like this but I`m out of ideas. Has anyone else run into this problem or have any suggestions as to where I can get a proper replacement hose if the dealer replacement is a no go?  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts or suggestions.    

Is the new hose hanging up on the internal O ring?  Sometimes it is hard to get those type of connections to seat.  At the very least you should wet the O ring with antifreeze or use a little silicone grease on it.  Usually you can leave the clip in the new hose and push it on the radiator until you hear it snap.  

I applied a little grease to the o ring but when you push the fitting on the horse shoe clip gets about 1/2' from the grooves in the radiator outlet and then binds up. I removed the clip and you can see that it`s not anywhere near close to the grooves. I even removed the o ring and get the same results. I can`t really compare the old outlet internal dimensions to the replacement as all of my measurement equipment is at work. When you reinstall the old, OEM lower fitting it slides in with no problem. Keeping in mind that this is done with the V notch aligned both in the fitting and the outlet on both the old and replacement parts. I`m stumped. There are some things about this truck though that make me wonder if it was intended for a diesel engine and someone ordered it with an8.1 L and it was built and shipped that way.

Anyhow, Thanks for your reply.   Happy New Year!  

• 1 year later...

OP - did you ever get any of the new replacement hoses to seat into the groove? I'm dealing with this now and know how frustrated you must have been. I've lubed my new hose/O ring and I'm still at least 1/4" away from locking.

Edited by BillB22

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same problem with a 2005 Chev 2500 with the 8.1 .I tried a Delco lower hose which would not go on far enough

to relax the c clip  It was lubed and everything was clean I tried some light tapping with a wedge of wood No go .I got a GM hose 

It won't fit . I am an auto tech with 48 yrs behind me .I checked on Identifix and some GM dealers no information .I was thinking of pulling the rad to see if I could get to fit that way  I would like to hear if there was a fix.

Thanks Mike

• 5 months later...

II got a lower rad hose to fit. I bought a new GM rad and lower hose from the GM Dealer.I installed the hose on the rad to make sure it would fit .I installed the rad and hose everything fit. I tried the new hose on the old rad when I had the old rad on the floor it would not fit but the old hose would I didn't see any difference in the hoses. So thats an expensive way to do it but I have all new hoses and rad

Mike

• Like 1