Took her out on the highway to work today. First, I filled up at the gas station and reset trip meter. I drove pretty much the same as always and my mpgs were a bit better. Opened up a few times. Sounds good but honestly not too much more noise than my muffler. I do have that side rubber thing in so maybe I’ll take it out to see if I get some more out of it. So far I am pleased. And I got it barely used for $200. Can’t complain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thejet07 said:

Took her out on the highway to work today. First, I filled up at the gas station and reset trip meter. I drove pretty much the same as always and my mpgs were a bit better. Opened up a few times. Sounds good but honestly not too much more noise than my muffler. I do have that side rubber thing in so maybe I’ll take it out to see if I get some more out of it. So far I am pleased. And I got it barely used for $200. Can’t complain

Do you get any noise when gently tipping into the throttle?  This is the reason I am going to put my piece IN.  It almost sounds like cylinder deactivation.  On/off/on/off loud/quiet.

On WOT it sounds great 

1 hour ago, Thejet07 said:

I’ve had the chopper/lugging noise(if that’s what your referring to) at low rpms since exhaust so I don’t see much difference with that. Wide open throttle sounds good, Im kind of wanting a little more noise from the intake though.

Ugh I hate that! When I pick up my boys from daycare they love popping the sunroof and back window open (OMG DAD CAN I HIT THE BUTTON PLEASE), and then cruising through the neighborhood to go home at 25mph that helicopter sound is so annoying! I usually blip the throttle just a hair every time I hear it just to make it pop some cylinders back into rotation lol. Even though it immediately starts back up again.

Other than that, loving the sound of the thing. I left the side vent open since its been in the 50s or so on my drive to work, so I'm not super worried about pulling hot air from the engine. When summer hits I'll probably pop it back in.

Another question, So i went with the white dry filter....is it cleanable? Or should I go buy like 7 of those filters off S&B while I still can to stock up lol. I've never been a fan of oiled filters, have had a few, always followed instructions to a T when cleaning and re-oiling. I wanna say I had an AFE intake or maybe a Toyota intake on my Tacoma that I pulled off on my next oil change after installing the intake and the entire intake tube had a light coating of oil and dirt/dust on it....and that was from a NIB intake and pre-oiled filter straight from the manufacturer. All I could think was that just the stuff that got caught on the tube, how much of that was baked into the engine at this point.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NorCal2020 said:

Ugh I hate that! When I pick up my boys from daycare they love popping the sunroof and back window open (OMG DAD CAN I HIT THE BUTTON PLEASE), and then cruising through the neighborhood to go home at 25mph that helicopter sound is so annoying! I usually blip the throttle just a hair every time I hear it just to make it pop some cylinders back into rotation lol. Even though it immediately starts back up again.

Other than that, loving the sound of the thing. I left the side vent open since its been in the 50s or so on my drive to work, so I'm not super worried about pulling hot air from the engine. When summer hits I'll probably pop it back in.

Another question, So i went with the white dry filter....is it cleanable? Or should I go buy like 7 of those filters off S&B while I still can to stock up lol. I've never been a fan of oiled filters, have had a few, always followed instructions to a T when cleaning and re-oiling. I wanna say I had an AFE intake or maybe a Toyota intake on my Tacoma that I pulled off on my next oil change after installing the intake and the entire intake tube had a light coating of oil and dirt/dust on it....and that was from a NIB intake and pre-oiled filter straight from the manufacturer. All I could think was that just the stuff that got caught on the tube, how much of that was baked into the engine at this point.

I have always gone with the dry filters. I read on their website, you can take them out and clean them with an air hose. Keep 6 inches away and blow it out. I had 22k miles on my 2018 Sierra and never had issue with it ever being real dirty. I did blow it out at 33k miles before I traded it off. I checked my new one last night on my High Country and with 12k miles on it. Looks good. I never drive any gravel roads. I swore I read somewhere they are good for 50k miles. 

• Like 1

I left the side opening open but I bought and installed the filter cover to compensate for the extra debris that will come in through the openings. The main reason I like S&B was how sealed up their system is. It looks BADASS, sounds amazing. I’m not sure if it gave me any HP but I only bought it for the sound...

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, NorCal2020 said:

Go with the dry filters and you can always buy the filter cover to help...

On 1/15/2021 at 8:26 PM, Thejet07 said:

I’m going to install mine in the next few days when I get a chance and was wondering how much of a difference in sound it makes. I know it’s subjective but it sounds like I could keep it covered and still enjoy. Any tips? How did install go?

If you keep the big opening uncovered it is louder, a lot louder but in a good way. Covering it up makes it sound like a really good cold air intake system. I am leaving mine uncovered until the summertime. In addition I purchased the filter cover that slides over the air filter to prevent extra debris from clogging up my filter because of so many openings on the airbox.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have been running my S&B Filter  for about 14000km now on my 2019 Elevation.  Very very happy with it.  Have not had any engine management system errors come up.  All good.  They did tell me to leave the negative terminal off the battery for at least two hours so that the system automatically recalibrates when you fire it up again.

I also installed the filter back that somebody mentioned previously.  I closed of the side hole.  Still sounds great and very 'throaty'. Very responsive.  Looking for a CAT back now if anybody has recommendations.  Not too loud but want that classic V8 sound and a couple more horses as well.

21 minutes ago, MRP said:

I have been running my S&B Filter  for about 14000km now on my 2019 Elevation.  Very very happy with it.  Have not had any engine management system errors come up.  All good.  They did tell me to leave the negative terminal off the battery for at least two hours so that the system automatically recalibrates when you fire it up again.

I also installed the filter back that somebody mentioned previously.  I closed of the side hole.  Still sounds great and very 'throaty'. Very responsive.  Looking for a CAT back now if anybody has recommendations.  Not too loud but want that classic V8 sound and a couple more horses as well.

I have Corsa sport Catback and love it. Borla makes a nice system too. They make a touring or S-type. Their Attak system is pretty aggressive All are About same price which ever you choose. 

13 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

I have Corsa sport Catback and love it. Borla makes a nice system too. They make a touring or S-type. Their Attak system is pretty aggressive All are About same price which ever you choose. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Do you notice a gain in performance?

3 hours ago, MRP said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Do you notice a gain in performance?

I believe Corsa claims 17HP, and yes the truck just drives better, accelerates stronger, and with the S&B intake it breathes better too. It was worth every penny. I bought mine from RealTrucks.com and had a 10% coupon. I paid $1180 for it. 
If you get one. Make sure to look at the flappers and how much they restrict air flow. You will be amazed. Good luck with your decision. 

8 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

I believe Corsa claims 17HP, and yes the truck just drives better, accelerates stronger, and with the S&B intake it breathes better too. It was worth every penny. I bought mine from RealTrucks.com and had a 10% coupon. I paid $1180 for it. 
If you get one. Make sure to look at the flappers and how much they restrict air flow. You will be amazed. Good luck with your decision. 

Really looking forward to changing the exhaust and hearing the V8.  From what I understand is that the performance systems come without the flapper valve.  If I understand correctly, this can account for some drone when the the engine is in cylinder deactivation mode that people talk about.

1 hour ago, MRP said:

Really looking forward to changing the exhaust and hearing the V8.  From what I understand is that the performance systems come without the flapper valve.  If I understand correctly, this can account for some drone when the the engine is in cylinder deactivation mode that people talk about.

I have never had it with my Corsa sport when driving. Now when towing my boat there is a little drone going up hills when down shifting, but that’s acceptable to me.  When cruising down interstate or highway the Corsa exhaust is whisper quiet. But slam on the peddle and it wakes up!  It’s the best of both worlds in my opinion. 
Others who have the GM Performance Package have stated the same with the Borla system. 
I also had a Gibson dual sport Catback on my 2018 Sierra 6.2L with the older AFM and it also never droned on the highway. It’s a very nice exhaust  for about half the price. But it does have it downside. If you live in wintery areas the exhaust does corrode because it’s not 304 stainless steel like the Corsa and Borla system. I think it’s 409 stainless steel.