Hey all, I spoke briefly with a guy at a local performance shop here re trying to unlock more power without breaking the bank. I already have an intake and programmer. I did the muffler delete. I’m honestly not too interested in upgrading the exhaust. Unless I can find one that’s super smooth sounding(doesn’t sound like a tractor). 

anyways...he mentioned that I could swap out my gears... does that make any sense? Would it make a noticeable difference? If so, how much would something like this cause and what would a good ratio for city/highway driving?

thx in advance 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 9:21 AM, meirikm said:

Hey all, I spoke briefly with a guy at a local performance shop here re trying to unlock more power without breaking the bank. I already have an intake and programmer. I did the muffler delete. I’m honestly not too interested in upgrading the exhaust. Unless I can find one that’s super smooth sounding(doesn’t sound like a tractor). 

anyways...he mentioned that I could swap out my gears... does that make any sense? Would it make a noticeable difference? If so, how much would something like this cause and what would a good ratio for city/highway driving?

thx in advance 

"More aggressive gearing creates a quicker car but not a faster car. A gearing change will have a noticeable affect on your car. If you swap in taller rear gears, you can gain some top-end speed, making your car faster, but you're going to be a bit slower leaving from a stop."  Not my quote, but I opted for 4:56 gears to pull my 37" tires.  Noticeable acceleration from dead stop, but is a gradual acceleration not punchy of the line.  It really depends on what you wanting your truck to do.  Honestly, if you want your truck to go faster,  you could do long tube headers and a cam upgrade go put more HP to your rear wheels.  Not cheap though...  I guessing your gear ratio is 3:73's....