Anybody running level kits??

2021 LTZ owner here. Looking to possibly get a level kit. Steer me in the right direction. Would like to go 35x12.50x20s. With a -18 offset possibly. What about just turning up torsion keys?  Or should I go the route of small lift kit?? 
Thanks

That's what I have on mine for tires/wheels.  Would not recommend cranking keys ever, changes the angles and causes suspension problems.  If they were made for that they would do it at the factory.

I went with a 3" Superlift suspension lift.  It's 3ish (can adjust as needed to level) in the front and 2" in the back.  Still need to trim though.  Front tire will rub on inside of mudflap.  Not sure about the front because I put a new bumper on with much more clearance.

There are a ton of good solid suspension lifts out there right now.  Superlift was out early which is why I went in that direction but there are many good options now depending on taste. 

For other examples there is a post just below this with roughly 20+ pages of things folks have done to there trucks, good point of reference.  As well as the gallery on the custom offsets webpage.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 12:49 PM, CT Chevy Connoisseur said:

That's what I have on mine for tires/wheels.  Would not recommend cranking keys ever, changes the angles and causes suspension problems.  If they were made for that they would do it at the factory.

I went with a 3" Superlift suspension lift.  It's 3ish (can adjust as needed to level) in the front and 2" in the back.  Still need to trim though.  Front tire will rub on inside of mudflap.  Not sure about the front because I put a new bumper on with much more clearance.

There are a ton of good solid suspension lifts out there right now.  Superlift was out early which is why I went in that direction but there are many good options now depending on taste. 

For other examples there is a post just below this with roughly 20+ pages of things folks have done to there trucks, good point of reference.  As well as the gallery on the custom offsets webpage.

I just checked Superlift's website to look for their 3" lift kit.  It's actually a 3" leveling kit.  They call it a lift kit, but it is not a lift kit.  The kit comes with new keys, UCAs, and spacers for the differential drop.  Those that install this kit will still eventually have issues with their tie rods, CV angles, and dropout from the UCA hitting the bump stop.  It won't ride as good as it does stock unless you install a real lift kit.  

Edited by CobraEatr

On 3/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, CT Chevy Connoisseur said:

The UCA's do not hit the bump stops, that's the entire point of having them, they are fabricated in a manner so this does not happen.  Have had on my truck for 4k miles now, no issues what so ever and it rides fine.

All UCAs hit the bump stops at some point depending on the severity of the bump you drive over. My point is that you do not have a lift kit on your truck. Superlift does not make a 3” kit. You have reindexed keys and your torsion bars are turned up. Superlift’s smallest genuine lift kit for the 2020 trucks is 6 inches. You have a 3” leveling kit with new keys and new UCAs. Your “lift” was achieved by cranking the torsion bars up. I’m not trying to start a fight, just merely pointing out the facts. I don’t want others to read this thread and think that Superlift makes a 3” lift kit. Superlift does call it a lift kit, but it’s a leveling kit. Real lift kits do not use the torsion bars to raise the vehicle. They come with new spindles/knuckles to actually drop the location of where the stock hubs bolt on. 

The cost of Superlift’s 3” leveling kit is $615. There is not a real lift kit around anywhere that sells for under $1,000. Most are between $2,500 - $3,500. 

I plan on doing a leveling kit as well (Cognito 3” with Fox reservior shocks), but honestly that’s not the right way to do it. I don’t really want to drop $3,500 for a legit lift kit and I also don’t want to hack up the underside of my new truck.

Again, not trying to pick a fight, I just want to get the correct information out to people who are researching this topic. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CobraEatr said:

All UCAs hit the bump stops at some point depending on the severity of the bump you drive over. My point is that you do not have a lift kit on your truck. Superlift does not make a 3” kit. You have reindexed keys and your torsion bars are turned up. Superlift’s smallest genuine lift kit for the 2020 trucks is 6 inches. You have a 3” leveling kit with new keys and new UCAs. Your “lift” was achieved by cranking the torsion bars up. I’m not trying to start a fight, just merely pointing out the facts. I don’t want others to read this thread and think that Superlift makes a 3” lift kit. Superlift does call it a lift kit, but it’s a leveling kit. Real lift kits do not use the torsion bars to raise the vehicle. They come with new spindles/knuckles to actually drop the location of where the stock hubs bolt on. 

The cost of Superlift’s 3” leveling kit is $615. There is not a real lift kit around anywhere that sells for under $1,000. Most are between $2,500 - $3,500. 

I plan on doing a leveling kit as well (Cognito 3” with Fox reservior shocks), but honestly that’s not the right way to do it. I don’t really want to drop $3,500 for a legit lift kit and I also don’t want to hack up the underside of my new truck.

Again, not trying to pick a fight, I just want to get the correct information out to people who are researching this topic. 

Cobra -

I'm thinking of the same kit from Cognito but it is spendy!  What are your reservations?  After looking at the install docs, are you unhappy with the cut you have to make for the UCA "bump stops"?  (Can't remember the proper term)

10 hours ago, tbully said:

Cobra -

I'm thinking of the same kit from Cognito but it is spendy!  What are your reservations?  After looking at the install docs, are you unhappy with the cut you have to make for the UCA "bump stops"?  (Can't remember the proper term)

Tbully,

It’s funny that you responded to one of my posts. I’ve been searching and reading your posts all day today in various threads after I saw one you put in the tint thread. Your truck looks awesome and I like your Ridge Grapplers. I think that I’m going to get the same brand tires. I might use a 35x12.50x20 or a 37x12.50x20 though.

I ordered my truck a few weeks ago and I have been researching lifts and leveling kits like crazy ever since. My last truck was a 2010 2500HD (gas) and I put 34” tires on it and cranked the torsion bars a little bit. I also had Bilstien 5100s. I want my new truck to ride much better than my old truck. 

Cost isn’t really an huge issue, but the amount of hacking and cutting involved with a lift kit bothers me. Instead I’m pretty sure that I’m going to do the Cognito Performance leveling kit with UCAs, keys, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, and the pittman idler supports ($1,999). Then I plan to buy a SuspensionMaxx differential drop kit (just four 1/2” spacers and longer bolts) and install that as well.

From everything I read (specifically a user on this board named gswift), the Cognito Performance kit will not only raise the front end of the truck up to level, but it will also substantially increase the ride quality - even over stock. The Fox reservoir shocks have a much longer travel and thus make all the difference in the world. Combine that with the pittman idler arm kit that tightens up all steering slop, and the $2k for the kit should definitely be worth the price tag - at least that’s my hope. 

I likely won’t receive my truck for another +8 weeks according to my dealer, but I’m trying to learn as much as I can now, so that the day that I take ownership of it, I can begin all the mods. 

Edited by CobraEatr

19 hours ago, CobraEatr said:

Tbully,

It’s funny that you responded to one of my posts. I’ve been searching and reading your posts all day today in various threads after I saw one you put in the tint thread. Your truck looks awesome and I like your Ridge Grapplers. I think that I’m going to get the same brand tires. I might use a 35x12.50x20 or a 37x12.50x20 though.

I ordered my truck a few weeks ago and I have been researching lifts and leveling kits like crazy ever since. My last truck was a 2010 2500HD (gas) and I put 34” tires on it and cranked the torsion bars a little bit. I also had Bilstien 5100s. I want my new truck to ride much better than my old truck. 

Cost isn’t really an huge issue, but the amount of hacking and cutting involved with a lift kit bothers me. Instead I’m pretty sure that I’m going to do the Cognito Performance leveling kit with UCAs, keys, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, and the pittman idler supports ($1,999). Then I plan to buy a SuspensionMaxx differential drop kit (just four 1/2” spacers and longer bolts) and install that as well.

From everything I read (specifically a user on this board named gswift), the Cognito Performance kit will not only raise the front end of the truck up to level, but it will also substantially increase the ride quality - even over stock. The Fox reservoir shocks have a much longer travel and thus make all the difference in the world. Combine that with the pittman idler arm kit that tightens up all steering slop, and the $2k for the kit should definitely be worth the price tag - at least that’s my hope. 

I likely won’t receive my truck for another +8 weeks according to my dealer, but I’m trying to learn as much as I can now, so that the day that I take ownership of it, I can begin all the mods. 

Hey Cobra - 

Thanks for the kind words.  I picked up the truck on the 12, did some work on it over the weekend - including the Nittos - 35x12.5x20 - no rubbing I don't think.  I dropped it off at my detailer on the 15th to get tint, PFF and ceramic and I haven't seen it since!  It has 50 miles on it!  Haha!  I pick it up tomorrow finally! 

On the kit, I see what you're saying.  You're thinking of the one just below the "Elite" line.  Agree that may be a better option if you don't want to cut.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes as this and air bags are next up!

I used Cognito's tubular control arms for the '20+ trucks. they have more bend in the leading arm so the bump stops do not need to be cut. i specifically got these ones because I did not want to cut the new truck. also why i haven't gone with a full lift kit. i don't like the idea of cutting and drilling frame.

mine came with greaseable ball joints, don't know why these show non

https://cognitomotorsports.com/cognito-standard-upper-control-arm-kit-for-20-21-silverado-sierra-2500-3500.html

5 hours ago, kylant said:

I used Cognito's tubular control arms for the '20+ trucks. they have more bend in the leading arm so the bump stops do not need to be cut. i specifically got these ones because I did not want to cut the new truck. also why i haven't gone with a full lift kit. i don't like the idea of cutting and drilling frame.

mine came with greaseable ball joints, don't know why these show non

https://cognitomotorsports.com/cognito-standard-upper-control-arm-kit-for-20-21-silverado-sierra-2500-3500.html

Kylant, how does your truck ride? As good as stock or better? Did you change out the shocks and keys or just the UCAs? Thanks. 

I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with the Cognito level/lift. Not sure if you're going with the Premier kit or not, but i'd highly recommend it just for the adjustability (external reservoirs). I had mine adjusted right at the middle setting and its just crazy how much better it rode over stock. 

I also ordered a 1.5" rear block when I ordered my Suspension MAXX diff drop just to keep a little bit of rake. I think I had about 1/2-3/4 rake once it all settled. 

Don’t bother with leaving kit. 

every shop I went to said that everyone that put a leveling kit on there 2500 hates it to either leave it as is and just put bigger tires if you want that can fit or put an actual suspension lift kit. One of the shops straight up just said they wouldn’t even do leveling kit on 2500s that it was just a waste of time and money.  

I went with the FabTech 6″ RTS LIFT KIT W/ FRONT DIRT LOGIC 2.25 RESI SHOCKS & REAR DIRT LOGIC 2.25 SHOCKS – K1160DL.  With 37s Everybody kept giving me different ones to get and what they thought was best but when I talk to the shops that actually knew what they were doing they would ask me what my application was and how was going to be using my truck.  I’m on the freeway most of the time, off road in areas that I need high clearance(for fun and for work at times)25-30% of the time , and I tow a 32 foot travel trailer once or twice a month. 

There are other brands of people said we’re better than fab tech but when it came down to it all things considered the fab tech was the best fit for me.  They actually have a good ground clearance and keep the torsion bars tucked away unlike others that claim to have high clearance but have the torsion bars sticking down way out. 
I retained my towing and hauling capabilities from stock and the ride seems better. 

B58202B8-C498-4BD9-9262-27B11F184396.jpeg

On 3/6/2021 at 10:38 PM, gSwift said:

I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with the Cognito level/lift. Not sure if you're going with the Premier kit or not, but i'd highly recommend it just for the adjustability (external reservoirs). I had mine adjusted right at the middle setting and its just crazy how much better it rode over stock. 

I also ordered a 1.5" rear block when I ordered my Suspension MAXX diff drop just to keep a little bit of rake. I think I had about 1/2-3/4 rake once it all settled. 

Swift, your truck is the reason why I want the Cognito premier kit. I saw it on this board last week while searching leveling kits. It looks awesome. That’s the exact look I’m going for. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alpha7 said:

Don’t bother with leaving kit. 

every shop I went to said that everyone that put a leveling kit on there 2500 hates it to either leave it as is and just put bigger tires if you want that can fit or put an actual suspension lift kit. One of the shops straight up just said they wouldn’t even do leveling kit on 2500s that it was just a waste of time and money.  

I went with the FabTech 6″ RTS LIFT KIT W/ FRONT DIRT LOGIC 2.25 RESI SHOCKS & REAR DIRT LOGIC 2.25 SHOCKS – K1160DL.  With 37s Everybody kept giving me different ones to get and what they thought was best but when I talk to the shops that actually knew what they were doing they would ask me what my application was and how was going to be using my truck.  I’m on the freeway most of the time, off road in areas that I need high clearance(for fun and for work at times)25-30% of the time , and I tow a 32 foot travel trailer once or twice a month. 

There are other brands of people said we’re better than fab tech but when it came down to it all things considered the fab tech was the best fit for me.  They actually have a good ground clearance and keep the torsion bars tucked away unlike others that claim to have high clearance but have the torsion bars sticking down way out. 
I retained my towing and hauling capabilities from stock and the ride seems better. 

B58202B8-C498-4BD9-9262-27B11F184396.jpeg

Alpha, nice looking truck.  You are correct that a true lift is the best way to go, but I'm not going that route - for a number of reasons.  The first is the cost.  The Fabtech kit you have is $3,800, and that doesn't include the labor cost to install.  I'll bet labor was at least $1,000.  The second reason why I'm not doing a lift kit is that I don't believe that you can't go back to stock if you ever decide to.  Stock differential mounting brackets must be cut when installing a lift kit and if for some reason I decide to go back to stock height, that won't be possible.  

Leveling kits are typically a bad idea, but not if you get more functional upper control arms, drop the differential with spacers, add some very good shocks, and don't turn your torsion bars up too much.  As long as you do all of those things, the truck will ride very nice and you won't have any problems with it.  Some even increase the comfort of their rides like gswift did, above.   

1 hour ago, CobraEatr said:

Alpha, nice looking truck.  You are correct that a true lift is the best way to go, but I'm not going that route - for a number of reasons.  The first is the cost.  The Fabtech kit you have is $3,800, and that doesn't include the labor cost to install.  I'll bet labor was at least $1,000.  The second reason why I'm not doing a lift kit is that I don't believe that you can't go back to stock if you ever decide to.  Stock differential mounting brackets must be cut when installing a lift kit and if for some reason I decide to go back to stock height, that won't be possible.  

Leveling kits are typically a bad idea, but not if you get more functional upper control arms, drop the differential with spacers, add some very good shocks, and don't turn your torsion bars up too much.  As long as you do all of those things, the truck will ride very nice and you won't have any problems with it.  Some even increase the comfort of their rides like gswift did, above.   

Thank you!!

Yeah that was the best fit for me and my application but, you are correct they are up there in price and there is no going back after.  I just lucked out and was able to get a good deal. 

I agree that is a great option as long as you do the additional steps like you stated instead of a basic block leveling kit.  I should have probably said “don’t bother with a basic leveling kit”. That my bad.  The options that you mentioned so alíviate a lot of the issues with the basic leaving kits.