Bad Ball Joint?

I have a 2018 Silverado with a 2.5” RC level kit. Occasionally/sporadically when making sharp, slow speed turns (usually when parking) I’ll notice a faint “clunk” coming from the front end. The truck itself has 33k miles (about 6k w/the level kit). 

Could this be indicative of a bad ball joint? If so, is it normal for a 2.5” front level to wear a ball joint out that quickly? Thanks

12 hours ago, mistermcgoo said:

I have a 2018 Silverado with a 2.5” RC level kit. Occasionally/sporadically when making sharp, slow speed turns (usually when parking) I’ll notice a faint “clunk” coming from the front end. The truck itself has 33k miles (about 6k w/the level kit). 

Could this be indicative of a bad ball joint? If so, is it normal for a 2.5” front level to wear a ball joint out that quickly? Thanks

Did you keep the stock UCAs?
If so, your upper control arm ball joint(s) may have expired.
Any level installation should have a UCA replacement for the height of level over 2"

2 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

Did you keep the stock UCAs?
If so, your upper control arm ball joint(s) may have expired.
Any level installation should have a UCA replacement for the height of level over 2"

Yes, they are the stock UCA’s. I know I took a gamble keeping them, now I may be paying the price. I’ve heard replacing upper ball joints isn’t cheap, so I’m fearing that price may be high..

9 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Yes, they are the stock UCA’s. I know I took a gamble keeping them, now I may be paying the price. I’ve heard replacing upper ball joints isn’t cheap, so I’m fearing that price may be high..

It's about $275 for the ones I bought - Motofab UCAs for a three inch Motofab level kit.
I also got the Motofab 1" rear block lift and a 1.5" rear spring lift.
My installer charged $335 for the entire install so, I would think just a UCA chang-out would be the price of the UCAs and, maybe, $150 or so?
EDIT: My installer mentioned he would never install a level without proper new UCAs.
EDIT 2" https://motofablifts.com/i-30558324-17-18-chevy-gmc-silverado-sierra-1500-upper-control-arms.html

" Corrects the ball joint angle for 2.5"-3" front leveling kits "

Price is actually about $290, sorry.

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

It's about $275 for the ones I bought - Motofab UCAs for a three inch Motofab level kit.
I also got the Motofab 1" rear block lift and a 1.5" rear spring lift.
My installer charged $335 for the entire install so, I would think just a UCA chang-out would be the price of the UCAs and, maybe, $150 or so?
EDIT: My installer mentioned he would never install a level without proper new UCAs.

Good to know. If it does end up being a bad upper ball joint, I’ll probably just swap out the stock UCA’s for aftermarket ones. 

Like I said, the clunk is really sporadic and only happens once and a while. Is there anything else that could possibly be causing it? I haven’t noticed any uneven tire wear (yet) etc.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistermcgoo said:

Good to know. If it does end up being a bad upper ball joint, I’ll probably just swap out the stock UCA’s for aftermarket ones. 

Like I said, the clunk is really sporadic and only happens once and a while. Is there anything else that could possibly be causing it? I haven’t noticed any uneven tire wear (yet) etc.. 

Not that I'm aware of in my experience.
As long as your sway bar links and steering links are good, it usually comes down to the UCAs.
See my edits above. :)

Just now, MikeBMW said:

Not that I'm aware of in my experience.
As long as your sway bar links and steering links are good, it usually comes down to the UCAs.
See my edits above. :)

Thanks for the links! I have replica 20” GMC Honeycomb wheels, judging by Motofab’s website I’ll need wheel spacers? Aren’t wheel spacers usually frowned upon? Or maybe I’m just regurgitating something I read somewhere..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Thanks for the links! I have replica 20” GMC Honeycomb wheels, judging by Motofab’s website I’ll need wheel spacers? Aren’t wheel spacers usually frowned upon? Or maybe I’m just regurgitating something I read somewhere..

I have 18" wheels and 35s, virtually no rubbing - didn't know the recommendation for spacers.
I'd try to stay as far away from wheel spacers as I could!
EDIT, again: they only call for 1/4" so that seems reasonable.

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 2017_LTZ said:

I took that gamble and lost..... Now I'm looking at the DirtKing UCA or BDS UCA....

20210330-110031.thumb.jpg.d54d5333e21eedfdcf83af037c59b087.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the Motofab UCAs.
Ruining a 3" Motofab level (with 1.5" Zone body lift but that doesn't affect the geometry) and, really, I don't notice any rubbing on 35x12.5x18s.

• Like 1