Control Arms

Have to replace front struts and rear shocks on my 2014 1500, and will be doing upper and lower control arms as well. I’ve a friend doing the work for me, but I need to get the parts to do it.

Regarding the control arms, will any upper/lower work (Moog, Kryptonite, etc) or is there a specific one for the lowers dependent on which control arms I currently have (steel/aluminum)?

Will be replacing my Fox 2.0s, haven’t decided if I’m sticking with them, or going to Bilsteins this time around.

1 hour ago, chrispassas21 said:

I have take offs from my 2015 Silverado 1500 with 30,000 miles if you want stock. I’d sell for cheap. Also have stock struts if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No thanks, I’ve already replaced the stock shocks and this will be the second time replacing the uppers/lowers, hence the question.

• Like 1

The knuckles are different for trucks with Forged vs. Aluminum arms so they won't interchange.  Ball joint stud hole size is different on the knuckles. 

If you go OE and you have forged steel arms, GM still makes those and you can get them.  If you have aluminum arms, GM discontinued those and the OE replacements are the stamped steel ones off of 2016-2018 trucks.  You will see this with aftermarket OE replacements from Moog, Mevotech, etc. but those guys make forged for forged, and then for aluminum arms they do both the stamped and the aluminum from what I've seen.   

You will see this option on arms from Kryptonite and other aftermarket modified arms as well the KRUCA12 arms are for factory forged and the KRUCA13 is for factory aluminum or stamped.  

1 minute ago, newdude said:

The knuckles are different for trucks with Forged vs. Aluminum arms so they won't interchange.  Ball joint stud hole size is different on the knuckles. 

If you go OE and you have forged steel arms, GM still makes those and you can get them.  If you have aluminum arms, GM discontinued those and the OE replacements are the stamped steel ones off of 2016-2018 trucks.  You will see this with aftermarket OE replacements from Moog, Mevotech, etc. but those guys make forged for forged, and then for aluminum arms they do both the stamped and the aluminum from what I've seen.   

You will see this option on arms from Kryptonite and other aftermarket modified arms as well the KRUCA12 arms are for factory forged and the KRUCA13 is for factory aluminum or stamped.  

Thanks, kind of what I thought. Would there be any benefit to aftermarket? Longer life span etc? I average about 35k a year on my truck.

4 minutes ago, cjlet said:

Thanks, kind of what I thought. Would there be any benefit to aftermarket? Longer life span etc? I average about 35k a year on my truck.

Stock or leveled?  If leveled, aftermarket upper arms like Kryptonite or Cognito have altered angles for better ball joint life when leveled.  

Arms like Kryptonite have the ability to replace the upper joints easy as they are bolt in.  OE and OE replacement uppers are most of the time part of the arm and not replaceable.  

Lower ball joints on the other hand are almost always replaceable in the OE and OE replacement arms.  

Edited by newdude

4 minutes ago, newdude said:

Stock or leveled?  If leveled, aftermarket upper arms like Kryptonite or Cognito have altered angles for better ball joint life when leveled.  

Arms like Kryptonite have the ability to replace the upper joints easy as they are bolt in.  OE and OE replacement uppers are most of the time part of the arm and not replaceable.  

Lower ball joints on the other hand are almost always replaceable in the OE and OE replacement arms.  

It’s leveled. 

That is a very valid concern as it is not tire rub it is rim rub, dealing with this now.  The cognito's state they will work with factory wheels but I dont have experience there.

I just put on an Eibach E80-23-006-02-22 suspension kit at lowest setting so 2.5" lift and did the kryptonite UCA's after talking with kryptonite support.  I was hesitant to go with it then pulled the trigger now I wish I would have waiting longer for better answers.

Long story short I am probably going to have to eat the expense on the kryptonites since I have new tires Michelin Defender(stock size) and wanted to stay with factory wheels.  The options I have as I see it are new wheels, possibly a 1/2" hub/wheel centric spacer but the issue there is tire place wont touch with spacer, or order new control arms.

I am usually pretty good on research and getting my ducks in a row so I am a little pissed at myself here.

Also it is a holiday weekend so getting answers is a PITA.

Edited by rlnthndr

On 4/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, rlnthndr said:

That is a very valid concern as it is not tire rub it is rim rub, dealing with this now.  The cognito's state they will work with factory wheels but I dont have experience there.

I just put on an Eibach E80-23-006-02-22 suspension kit at lowest setting so 2.5" lift and did the kryptonite UCA's after talking with kryptonite support.  I was hesitant to go with it then pulled the trigger now I wish I would have waiting longer for better answers.

Long story short I am probably going to have to eat the expense on the kryptonites since I have new tires Michelin Defender(stock size) and wanted to stay with factory wheels.  The options I have as I see it are new wheels, possibly a 1/2" hub/wheel centric spacer but the issue there is tire place wont touch with spacer, or order new control arms.

I am usually pretty good on research and getting my ducks in a row so I am a little pissed at myself here.

Also it is a holiday weekend so getting answers is a PITA.

Other than the UCA issue, how do you like the Eibachs? Debating on those with some Motofab UCAs.

I have take offs from my 2015 Silverado 1500 with 30,000 miles if you want stock. I’d sell for cheap. Also have stock struts if interested.

Do you still have these and are they the rancho shocks? How much are you asking for them?

Do you still have these and are they the rancho shocks? How much are you asking for them?

I do still have these. My truck is a z-71, so yes the shocks are rancho. If you are still interested PM me so we don’t jack this thread.

So far I like them.  Just drove 3 hours out to a travel baseball tournament and 3 hours back.  Drive as good as the factory less body roll in corners at speed, etc.... Maybe a bit stiffer in some aspects but I like that.

Hitting neighborhood speed bumps is night and day better.  Have not hauled my boat yet either but again I am happy so far.

10 hours ago, rlnthndr said:

So far I like them.  Just drove 3 hours out to a travel baseball tournament and 3 hours back.  Drive as good as the factory less body roll in corners at speed, etc.... Maybe a bit stiffer in some aspects but I like that.

Hitting neighborhood speed bumps is night and day better.  Have not hauled my boat yet either but again I am happy so far.

Thanks. Now I’m kind of looking at different UCAs, but still thinking the same struts. Glad to get some recent feedback regarding the shocks/struts!