Check trailer brakes

I fought this issue for over a year with two trucks with a trailer that is still only 3 years old.  Went through trailer plugs/cords, truck plugs, a brake magnet, checked grounds,.....  Finally found a shorted wire inside the front axle.  The brake wires on this trailer ran through the hollow axle from one side to the other.

Hard to find the issue as it was so intermittent.  Did slowly get worse, but sill not constant and couldn't find a short when it wasn't shorted.  Eventually just started pulling wire to start from scratch and found the bad spot.

Lots of possibilities I guess, but this was my experience.

Good luck

I’ve got a 2021 3500 and have the exact issue. Brakes will intermittently disconnect, running lights are all okay and towing app says all connections okay. One other interesting thing I’ve noted - when I get the brakes disconnected in dic my factory controller is dark (if u look when there’s symbol that lights up).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Same problem just started over the weekend. Pulled this trailer nearly 10k miles without issue. Had been on the road for about 4 hours, hit some heavy rain and started getting the "check trailer wiring" that would reset with "trailer brakes connected" within a few seconds. Happened several dozen times in the last 2 hours of the trip.