Tire pressures

Anyone care to comment on the relationship between tire pressures and truck performance? (specifically for towing)

In my case, the door sticker says 35 front / 35 rear based on the factory 265/65/18 HT tires I have.

My plan is to upgrade to LT275/70/18 E-Rated tires (just did a level kit) such as the BFG KO2 or Cooper AT3, as I plan to tow a 5000 lb trailer across the country soon. 

What PSI would you recommend (and why?) in the E rated tires for a 2000 mile roadtrip, pulling a 5000 lb trailer?

Edited by YYC-SIERRA

16 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

40psi cold. It's a LT tire and you want to keep the tire "flat" so it doesn't wear the edges and or the middle of the tire too much.

Thanks. Is that pressure for specifically towing, or full-time?

Run em at 40 and the middles will wear out quickly run em at 35 as stated unless going way over the weight the ruck was designed for.

The E rated 10ply tire will be plenty stiff in the corners and will overall be a firmer feeling ride.

35# and keep en eye on the wear.

• Like 1

Cold 40-44 psi is where i do daily drive. Benefit on a heavy truck is less roll resistance. Ive never had the center of tread wear more at that pressure. While towing you should add more air as load increases up to 80PSI. the goal is to not allow the sidewalls to squat too much and build heat that could lead to blowout. Higher pressures also can help the load feel less mushy sway. Ive towed 12,000 and were 70 psi. IMO 55psi on that 5000 lb load all day long. Do some tests yourself and feel the difference.

• Like 1