Intermittent charging problem

On 5/6/2021 at 11:15 AM, Lfd49 said:

Thanks, I have a friend here that has a 2013 Sierra 1500. Basically identical to my truck, and he has never seen it happen to his. 

Then he must never look down, or his is messed up.

COMPLETELY NORMAL for the needle to gradually move back and forth between the 12 to 16 volt hash-marked area as the alternator charges or coasts as needed. 

PS  When in doubt, always use GM/AC Delco replacement parts of the OEM spec. 

Edited by MaverickZ71

The reason o asked is because it has never happened in any other vehicle I have ever owned regardless of make. Either in Ma. or here in SWFL.  Thank you all for taking the time to comment on the post I appreciate it.

Just started dealing with this issue and I am glad I came here. 2007 Sierra classic 5.3 190K miles on it and my truck just started doing this last month. Had the battery tested and the machine said to replace battery. Battery was 8 years old so I didn't think anything of it. I put an Optima in and it was holding 14.4V when truck was running so all was good. This lasted for a week then the Voltmeter on dash started showing the drop to about 12.6. Ran thru the typical tests of checking the Alternator and it was doing its job. So I thought maybe the regulating circuit was going bad. I came here to see if anyone else was having this issue and I see they are. 

• 1 year later...

I drive a 2013 Silverado w/t with the vortec v6 and I have been having the “service battery charging system” light  come on mostly when slowing down. I have a new alternator and have replaced belt and belt tensioner. I believe it is the RVC sensor that is causing this. Would it harm anything if it is unplugged? I know alternators have regulators built into them so by unplugging this it should not overcharge the battery should it?