Rear differential swap

I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado 2500hd 6.0 gas w/ a 10.5 3:73 g80 and its whining. I have found a 2005 GMC Sierra 6.6 diesel with an 11.5 3:73 g80. What Im reading is that I guess something changed in 07 to not allow this swap. Can anyone tell me what changed or if I can use this diff? TIA

On 6/13/2021 at 5:43 AM, Lotta gas man said:

I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado 2500hd 6.0 gas w/ a 10.5 3:73 g80 and its whining. I have found a 2005 GMC Sierra 6.6 diesel with an 11.5 3:73 g80. What Im reading is that I guess something changed in 07 to not allow this swap. Can anyone tell me what changed or if I can use this diff? TIA

I have found that if you use www.car-part.com and put in what you are looking for it will tell you the available parts that will work with that application. 

So if you put in that you are looking for a rear diff for your 2009, then all the differentials that will replace it will be listed.  At least that is my understanding.