No park or reverse

Jason Kaufman

Question

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado, 5.3, 240,****** miles, and I am having troubles… I noticed yesterday I was in auto 4x4 so like an idiot I just stopped, left it in drive pushed back to 2 wheel, and drove on, I noticed when I put it in reverse there was a grinding noise, and it wouldn’t go in reverse, then when I put it in park and it just rolled, wouldn’t park or anything… It will run in auto 4x4 and well where I have it now in high 4x4 but won’t kick back to two wheel drive and allow me to park or go in reverse. Upon a suggestion of a buddy, I disconnected the battery in an attempt to “reset” the transfer case but still no 2 wheel where I can go in reverse or park. The transmission fluid is full, I checked that… Any and all help will be much appreciated! Thank you in advance! 

1 answer to this question

Might have an encoder motor issue. I forget how to check those, but there's plenty of info online about removing it and checking it's operation. Research that first.