Turbo City TBI

I am considering a complete TBI unit from Turbo City. It has some modifications and matched injectors.

I can send them my TBI which they will modify for around $350, or buy a complete TBI (no core charge) for around $650.

If I send them mine, I am out of a vehicle for a week or two. The F-car is not a daily driver in winter.

I don't have any problems with my current TBI, but it has a 100K miles on it, so it would be preventative and gain some power.

Comments?

• 2 weeks later...

www.turbocity.com or do a google search.

I haven't been able to find the Holley one for my engine (1995 non-Vortec 350). Do you have a link?

Thanks

Holley also makes a 2"bore replacement TBI which is worth looking at.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

only for 88 or 89, you its a newer TBI then you have to cut and splice the thorttle adaptor wires/cable, and put on an adaptor from an 88 or 89, according to Holley.

Snake Eyes, I like your Williams F1 picture. Seen the new F1 car with the weird front nose?

I am still deciding on the Turbo City TBI, but the cost is a little high.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Banks Intake, Headers and full exhaust with a Random technology cat. The new TBI comes with some mods (slightly larger bore, raised and matched injectors). The webpage says these mods will add horsepower, but the guy on the phone says just a little. I am not adding TBI, just replacing the TBI I have with a "better" unit.

WisconsinZ71,

So, since this swap is not time critical, I am sitting on it for now. I just don't know if the other mods will be improved with the new TBI (or vice versa). Is the TBI the "weak link" in the airflow chain? And is this worth $650 as preventative maintenence with a possible horsepower gain?

my vote---no. You can find more horsepower elsewhere for that kind of cash. Your TBI is probably working fine as they are relatively maintence free except for an occasional drippy injector or worn throttle shaft bushing. The raising of the injector pod is not difficult--you can do that to yours. I've heard of guys using 1/4" plexiglass or something similar, getting and inj pod gasket for a template and cutting a spacer. pull off the pod and put the spacer under with a gasket on each side. If your in that far you can also pull the pressure regulator out and drill the factory spot weld off that holds the adjuster screw. Once the weld is gone you can turn the screw to adjust your pressure. You will be able to see the spring & diaphram inside. I did the regulator on my '92 but never got around the the spacer. By increase the pressure you can gain a little. I actually considered putting on the Holley replacement unit and switching connectors around to the old style likw butch 02 and snake eyes were talking about. The thing that stopped me me was when I called Holley they said the TPS and IAC motor were holley specific and GM pieces would not work. Kind of suck to have to wait for a TPS from Holley if it dies on a Fri night.

"You can find more horsepower elsewhere for that kind of cash."

Great info, thanks. So, where do I look for more HP? See my signature link below for what I have already done (scroll down about half way).

Ignition is a good place to upgrade--Jacobs Electronics make some good systems around 300.00. A cam from Comp or Crane would also make a lot of difference. Keep your duration low and you'll build good bottom end torque. Be concerned with the torque your making and not the horsepower. Both Comp Cams and Crane make truck specific grinds that create torque. Keep your intake duration around 210 and exhaust at 215-220. That is assuming your running around 2000 rpm at 65 or so. You can get a cam and lifter set for 150.00 gaskets to do the job another 50.00 or so. You could also get a new intake system that gets rid of the factory air cleaner assy and restrictive tubing in the fender. I saw you added a banks elbow which I assume is the tight bent one in the fender but you are still pulling air from under the right headlight into a hard bendto the fender and another hard bend through a pretty small tube throught the fender then finally into the under hood tubing. You can pick up one from pace setter for 100.00

Last thing, I checked out the pic----nice ride

Turbo city will probably expect you t0 ship the core to them after you do the change, then refund your core charge. So you shouldn't have to be down while waiting for UPS.

Turbo City does not do core charge. They modify the one you send them or sell you a complete unit (no core charge). He said he could give me $25 for my old core.

Ignition is a good place to upgrade--Jacobs Electronics make some good systems around 300.00. A cam from Comp or Crane would also make a lot of difference. Keep your duration low and you'll build good bottom end torque. Be concerned with the torque your making and not the horsepower. Both Comp Cams and Crane make truck specific grinds that create torque. Keep your intake duration around 210 and exhaust at 215-220. That is assuming your running around 2000 rpm at 65 or so. You can get a cam and lifter set for 150.00 gaskets to do the job another 50.00 or so. You could also get a new intake system that gets rid of the factory air cleaner assy and restrictive tubing in the fender. I saw you added a banks elbow which I assume is the tight bent one in the fender but you are still pulling air from under the right headlight into a hard bendto the fender and another hard bend through a pretty small tube throught the fender then finally into the under hood tubing. You can pick up one from pace setter for 100.00

Last thing, I checked out the pic----nice ride

WisconsinZ71,

Thanks for the info.

- I looked at the Pacesetter intake, and I don't know how much it would add over the Banks, and I hate to buy the same thing twice.

- I have Accel ignition components, but I have thought about the Jacobs. Do you think it would add much?

- Not ready to dive into the cam just yet, but I did buy some roller tip rockers to add a little.

I may be at the ceiling for modifying without a supercharger or opening up the block/heads. Maybe I will do an engine swap with the black car...

Archived