Replacing Bumper Insert + Step Pad

My AT4 got clipped by the lawn service at work today and I was livid.  Fortunately though, 99% of the damage is on the end cap plastic and even though it was gouged, looks like it can be easily replaced.  Since the parts are cheap and going after the lawn service will be a nightmare, I was just going to replace it myself.  Is anyone familiar with how this is inserted?  There's a few screws on top but looks like it's in more than just those screws holding it in there.

Bumper Break Out - Scroll down to the second batch of parts which I believe is what I need as it has the dual exhaust heat shields and the 1st does not

It's part 12 that is damaged and part 18 is an insert pad which I don't know is a onetime insert type of thing and has to be re-bought or can be re-used?

Definitely have to replace this: Bumper Step Pad Bracket - GM (84227861)

Unsure if I have to replace this: Bumper Step Pad - GM (84227859)

If anyone had any experience with the bumper or perhaps a shop manual that explains how it comes apart/goes back together, that'd be fantastic.  I don't want to damage the bumper itself trying to replace this plastic 😕

Edited by Maverick0984

• Maverick0984 changed the title to Replacing Bumper Insert + Step Pad

There is one screw that holds the "step pad" (for lack of better term) in place that is under the truck, behind the pad. Remove that and the step pad slides out. This will expose two screws on the bottom (there are also three on top) which will remove the bigger plastic insert. That bigger insert has three tabs that keep it in place. I used a long skinny screw driver from the behind/under the truck to pry those tabs so they would release. Otherwise they would have broke.

This isn't my video, but it will help.

Edited by bdallas
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, bdallas said:

There is one screw that holds the "step pad" (for lack of better term) in place that is under the truck, behind the pad. Remove that and the step pad slides out. This will expose two screws on the bottom (there are also three on top) which will remove the bigger plastic insert. That bigger insert has three tabs that keep it in place. I used a long skinny screw driver from the behind/under the truck to pry those tabs so they would release. Otherwise they would have broke.

This isn't my video, but it will help.

This is really helpful. Thanks!