Lifter Issues Updates?

23 hours ago, SteveCZ said:

Oh, you mean like running different (heavier) weight oil than the manual states, because "0w20 looks way too thin when I pour it in the engine", or "I don't need to run this fancy synthetic witchcraft oil in my truck, I can put 1960's straight 30 weight as long as I change it every 3000 miles!"  

Because the engineers that designed these engines didn't spend ANY time analyzing data.........  🤣

I run Redline 5w-30 in my hemi, manual calls for 5w-20. The RL 30 is so thick it's almost a 40 weight. But the hemi was designed in early 2000's and called for a 30 weight back then, and the 6.4 and SRT hemis call for 0w-40 weights still even though they are pretty much all the same engine.

So to your point "engineer's know best", they probably do. But they don't write the service manual, and even though they most definitely would prefer the 30/40 weight oils, the 20 weight is in the manual because FCA needs to increase their corporate MPG. Using water for oil kills our engines (especially if you work them hard while towing), but helps them out corporately. So the manual says use 20 weight, but they really do need a 30 or 40 weight.

Sometimes it pays to look into it instead of blindly thinking your interests are the same as GM's/Ram's interests.

2 hours ago, the wanderer said:

I run Redline 5w-30 in my hemi, manual calls for 5w-20.

Sometimes it pays to look into it instead of blindly thinking your interests are the same as GM's/Ram's interests.

Game Set and Match!

From this months AMSOIL rag: Page 10

Using lubricants with too high a viscosity for the application may lead to the following issues

• Increased fluid friction
  • Increased operating temperatures
  • Poor cold-temperature fluidity
  • Reduced energy efficiency

I don't see a single ISSUE listed as a problem. But hey, that is what the engineering experts are saying. Fact is I've run both 0W20 and 10W30 in my truck and I do monitor the oil/water and trans temperatures. It made 3 degrees F difference in bulk oil temps. So yea....increased operating temperatures. So what. 3F?? 

Just above this they wrote: 

Using lubricants with inadequate viscosity for the application may lead the the followi9ng issues

• Increased metal to metal contact
  • Increased friction and wear
  • Increased oil consumption
  • Leaking seals

Now there are some issues... 😉  That one will heat your oil up. And tear a motor to pieces over time.  I run 10W40 in Harley TC88's and Sportsters and have for years and tens of thousands of miles. Red Line HP in matter of fact. While most guys I rode with ran oil temps in the bag over 270 F.  I run near 100 degrees cooler and 20 of that from reduced fluid friction while maintaining a HTHS higher than the 20W50 the 'engineers call for. The remainder is twin coolers. 

I underlined for the application to draw attention to that which is not obvious. 

When people read this they think that means for my 2015 Silverado 6.2; but what it really means is a literal implementation of the word application. Towing is a great example of an application that for most isn't 'every day' operation. 

Most guys that tow know that when done prolonged or heavy or both that a transmission cooler is a really REALLY good idea otherwise the fluid overheats, thins out and burns up. But few give the motor that same thought. That engineer may have intended the oil he specs to have a viscosity of 9 cSt based on a carefully calculated expected temperature. You run it hard and 40 degrees over his calculation and things don't go so well. Not for the oil, not for the motor, not for your wallet. 

An oil call out from a manufacture is base on expected temperature as viscosity is affected by same. If you run a different temperature due to 'application' then you need a different oil. One that will be the call out viscosity at the temperature you are 'ACTUALLY" running. 

You will never hurt anything running heavier other that your MPG and sometimes.....not even that. 

GM Trucks.com forum:  THERE ARE NO LIFTER PROBLEMS WITH THESE TRUCKS. 

Actual GM truck owners:  But there have been thousands (millions?) of documented lifter failures going back to 2007!

GM Trucks.com forum:  RIGHT. LIKE WE SAID, THERE ARE NO LIFTER PROBLEMS WITH THESE TRUCKS. 

:shakehead:

Edited by MaverickZ71

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

GM Trucks.com forum:  THERE ARE NO LIFTER PROBLEMS WITH THESE TRUCKS. 

Actual GM truck owners:  But there have been thousands (millions?) of documented lifter failures going back to 2007!

GM Trucks.com forum:  RIGHT. LIKE WE SAID, THERE ARE NO LIFTER PROBLEMS WITH THESE TRUCKS. 

:shakehead:

I don't know what brought that on but I don't think anyone is saying "THERE ARE NO LIFTER PROBLEMS WITH THESE TRUCKS". :dunno:

What has been said is  many of these failures are not bad materials or workmanship but oil maintenance related. The rest are of course as you say. :rolleyes:

Yes, even back to 2007.