Lifter Issues Updates?

This lifter situation in these trucks seems to be getting out of hand. Any news on whether GMC its buying these trucks back or are they going to wash their hands and be like F-U? Just curious if we heard anything on that.

21 minutes ago, dv_damian57 said:
This lifter situation in these trucks seems to be getting out of hand. 

Is it really? Then you have access to the production and failure numbers? No? Just the internet scuttlebutt from the few that do all living at the same forum address? 

The there is 'seems to be'. So you yourself are unsure of your 'FACTS'. You do have facts, right? That's right, I already asked that. 

:dunno:

they going to wash their hands and be like F-U

Saw GM this morning on the news say that exact thing🤔😬, said it was aimed at past, current, and future customers.

They felt this would increase sales almost immediately😮 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dv_damian57 said:
This lifter situation in these trucks seems to be getting out of hand. Any news on whether GMC its buying these trucks back or are they going to wash their hands and be like F-U? Just curious if we heard anything on that.

See the truck in my signature, it is a 2014 and now heading towards 8 years old and this lifter issue started with my model year di v-8 engine line. So no GM will just continue to throw bad parts at good engines and cross their fingers imo.

The worst part is them only changing one bank if the other is ok knowing that eventually the other will crap the bed too. I can see why gm doesn't do anything either, hell i have lost count of the people here who have multiple issues with this and eventually work with the dealer, and not gm of course, to get into a new truck. Only issue i have with that is you are essentially rewarding GM with another 60 grand purchase.

Why actually fix the issue, with customers like that to be honest?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dv_damian57 said:

There is the potential during a production batch for premature issues.  September 2020 to March 2021.  GM had dealers send back crate motors in stock to have them fixed/replaced to eliminate any bad stock on the shelves.  Dealers also had to send back any stock they had that was in the batch window so they couldn't be installed in vehicles.

If in a vehicle at 8000mi or less failure in the batch window they get all 16 DFM/all 8 AFM lifters replaced.  Over 8000mi in the window they get all the lifters on the bank that failed.  If its a repeat failure in that batch for either valve spring or lifter after a valve spring failure its either repair, replace engine or if case is escalated, replace vehicle.

NOT.  EVERY.  TRUCK.  Is failing.  We've sold descent # of 2021s, we've had about 6 2021s come in with lifter failures.  

• Thanks 1

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, trying to learn here.  Outside of the bad batch, is the lifter issue related to AFM/DFM?  Read lots of people who have suggested that.  Is there something I can do to minimize it from happening (Install Range Tech)?  Or is it purely just a random defect issue that happens to from time to time like any defect from any manufacture?

4 hours ago, SilveradoRST said:

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, trying to learn here.  Outside of the bad batch, is the lifter issue related to AFM/DFM?  Read lots of people who have suggested that.  Is there something I can do to minimize it from happening (Install Range Tech)?  Or is it purely just a random defect issue that happens to from time to time like any defect from any manufacture?

Not purely. It can also be poor oil maintenance. 

• Like 1

21 LT Trailboss owner here. 5600 miles, Check engine light came on P0300 - no felt misfire. Took to dealership, light was off, tech ran history showed the pass-fail and 1800 total misfires (not many). They changed my oil, rotated my tires and updated my infotainment. 

Pisked it up, and in the way to work CEL started flashing and turned off after only 5 seconds. Again, no felt misfire. Took it right back into dealership after work. History showed bank 6 had 12,000 misfires. Opened up and bank 6 lifter was collapsed. Replaced all 16 lifters with the new(improved?) lifters. 

My dealer and tech were great. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 9:33 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Not purely. It can also be poor oil maintenance. 

Oh, you mean like running different (heavier) weight oil than the manual states, because "0w20 looks way too thin when I pour it in the engine", or "I don't need to run this fancy synthetic witchcraft oil in my truck, I can put 1960's straight 30 weight as long as I change it every 3000 miles!"  

Because the engineers that designed these engines didn't spend ANY time analyzing data.........  🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveCZ said:

Oh, you mean like running different (heavier) weight oil than the manual states, because "0w20 looks way too thin when I pour it in the engine", or "I don't need to run this fancy synthetic witchcraft oil in my truck, I can put 1960's straight 30 weight as long as I change it every 3000 miles!"  

Because the engineers that designed these engines didn't spend ANY time analyzing data.........  🤣

No, not like that at all.

MAINTENANCE not weight selection. 

Not the same thing is it? 

Maintenance is about caring for you oil

Length of service

filtration

cooling

Dare I open this can of worms? :crackup:

There is Synthetic and then there is SYNTHETIC

Typical Synthetic SAE grade SN+ DEXOS1Gen2 oil is a Group III/Group II blend with some VI improver and a pour point suppressant as a basic base system. A few may be a Group 11+ OR a Group III/Ester blend with less of each of the other modifiers. One of two are PAO/Group II blends again with VI and PP addtives. 

SYNTHETIC oils are PAO/POE's which contain zero VI or PP additives. They do naturally what 'marketing' synthetics do by 'witchcraft' as you call it.

A straight weight 30 hasn't any VI or PP either but it also doesn't have any temperature range or viscosity stability. But yes...you can run it (in the warmer part of the year) and change it more often and it WILL work just fine and your motor will last a long time. 

A straight weight mineral oil 30W would need allot of antioxidant help to reach an extended OCI length so yes again, you have to change if more often. Even it it is blended with the same 'level' of antioxidants the base oil itself is less oxidation resistant. 

Extra Information

Ever notice on Race PAO/POE it says 30W then in smaller print says 10W30?

A 30W is a 'naked' (no VI or PP additves)  oil that checks the all boxes for a 30W

A 'naked' PAO/POE, properly blended to not need any VI or PP additives also checks every box for a straight 30W and then a few more.

A motor's SAE WEIGHT GRADE is based on a 100 C/ 212F viscosity 'fence' and the meeting a maximum CCS and Pour Point and a MINIMUM HTHS.

So a PAO/POE that falls inside the min/max 212 F, exceeds the minimum HTHS and is lighter than the PP and CSS is, or can be called a straight W30. EVEN If it also happens to meet the limits for a 5W30 at the same time without help that is icing on the cake. MPT 30K and Red Line HP are such oils. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear